[Ccpg] 2nd Annual SB Seed Swap Community Events/Jan 20 & 23

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Jan 11 06:32:13 PST 2010

Please join us for the 2nd Annual Santa Barbara Seed Swap Day!
  with a film night on Wednesday, January 20,
  and Community Seed Swap Event on Saturday, January 23.  See below for details:

A Film from the Seed Savers Network
"Our Seeds: Seeds Blong Yumi"
Wed, January 20, 2010  7pm, Donation $7 (students/seniors $5)
Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery

"Our Seeds" addresses the problems of globalized
food based on hybrids that require pesticides and
synthetic fertilizers. The film shows how
individuals and small groups have solved these
problems. A celebration of the seed keepers that
stand at the source of humanity's diverse food
heritage.

The film introduces those who stand at the source
of humanity’s diverse food heritage. It is a
David and Goliath story where resilience and
persuasive logic triumph over seemingly
invincible forces that control much of our food.

Seed Savers directors, and long time
permaculturists Michel and Jude Fanton shot a
hundred and sixty hours in eleven countries:
Spain, France, Italy, India, Sri Lanka, China,
Vietnam, Taiwan, Papua New Guinea and Solomon
Islands.  ( www.seedsavers.net)

The film features Pacific islanders as they face
great challenges to their way of life, their
culture and their traditional cultivation
systems. They fall into the same traps as
others:- replacing abundant varieties of root
staples with modern hybrids that require
pesticides and chemical fertilizers; instead
importing low quality starch such as white rice,
biscuits and noodles and risk losing their
resilient food crops. This film seeks to reverse
this trend.

"Our Seeds: Seeds Blong Yumi", a film celebrating
the keepers of the seeds, and the farmers and
gardeners who preserve and share the source of
our food heritage.

	The film event takes place at the Santa
Barbara Public Library, Faulkner Gallery, 40 East
Anapamu St, in downtown Santa Barbara, Wed,
January 20,
  7-9pm, 2010.  No reservations are required,
donation $7 (students/seniors $5). For more
information please call (805) 962-2571,
<mailto:margie at sbpermaculture.org>margie at sbpermaculture.org
;   www.sbpermaculture.org. A collaboration of
Hopedance Media www.hopedance.org , Santa Barbara
Food Not Lawns  www.sbfoodnotlawns.org, and Santa
Barbara Permaculture Network.

<<<>>>
  SEED SWAP EVENT SATURDAY JANUARY 23:
  Santa Barbara Community Seed Swap Day
  Saturday, January 23, 10 - 2pm
  Alameda Park, downtown Santa Barbara, 200 East Sola Street
  FREE

Bring seeds, plants, cuttings, and garden
knowledge to swap, or come get seeds to sow,
grow, harvest, save and share next year.
  Activities for all ages: story hour, crafts,
seed ball making, seed saving lessons, seed
envelope making, worm composting, learn about
bare root trees, and more!

The Glendessary Jam and Spencer the Gardener will
play music that will have your toes tapping.

Friends of Seed Swap include:  Edible Santa
Barbara, Glendessary Jam, Healing Grounds
Nursery, Hope Dance Media, Island Seed And Feed,
Judy Sims, La Huerta, Owen Dell, Santa Barbara
Permaculture Network, Santa Barbara Food Not
Lawns, SBCC Center for Sustainability, Santa
Barbara Organic Garden Club, Santa Barbara
Permaculture Guild, Spencer The Garden, The Worm
Girl, and more folks joining..

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
  www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
  http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org

270.14.132/2611 - Release Date: 01/10/10 07:35:00