[Ccpg] Permaculture Relief Corps Forming For Haiti Earthquake

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Jan 13 15:33:21 PST 2010

Permaculture Relief Corps Forming For Haiti Earthquake Response?
The Remarkable History (and Possible Future) For Permaculture Disaster Relief

This is a short article I wrote about the potential of a Permaculture Relief
Corps response in Haiti.  Please tell me what you think and if you know of
any efforts mobilizing to make something like this happen.
Evan Schoepke

http://punkrockpermaculture.com/2010/01/13/haiti-earthquake-permaculture/
<http://punkrockpermaculture.com/2010/01/13/haiti-earthquake-permaculture/>

Devastation in Port Au Prince photo: Carel Pedre via twitter

1/13/09
Yesterday the island of Hispanola was hit with a devastating 7.3
magnitude earthquake near Port-Au-Prince the capital of Haiti .  Many
multiple story buildings have completely collapsed including the
major Hospital in the region.  Thousands may be killed or trapped in
the rubble and aid is being mobilized from around the world.  With
little to no backup power, sewage, water, housing, or food aid
systems in place, Haiti, which is currently the poorest nation in the
western hemisphere, is in a VERY DIRE SITUATION.  Without a doubt
resources and expertise are moving en mass to Haiti, but beyond this
temporary relief, what will sustain this nation of 10 million people
when it's left in an even poorer position than ever before?  This is
where permaculture design comes in, with an adaptable and ever
evolving tool kit that can be of vital assistance in disaster relief
and the long recovery period to follow.
During the war in Kozovo back in 1999 when displaced refugees flooded
into Macedonia Geoff Lawton and a crack team of eager
permaculturalists secured international aid to design and implement
the master plan for the Cegrane Camp Permaculture Rehabilitation
Project, a large refugee camp that provided relief for over 43,000 people.

Permaculture Disaster Relief
Geoff created the design around water capture and storage.  The final
design called for 7.2 km of swales, with an estimated water holding
capacity of 30 million liters, greatly reducing the flood
potential.  Many passive solar strawbale buildings were constructed
by trained locals who quickly grasped the simplicity and efficiency
of this natural building technique.  Large gardens, composting
toliets, and chicken tractors all came together in a very short time
span.  The skills and systems thinking acquired during this process
may help secure sustainable employment and economic development for
the entire region for years to come.
Another successful implementation of permaculture relief took place
in Cuba during the early 90's when Cuba was suffering from a
crippling petroleum embargo.  Working with a grant from the Cuban
government Austrailian permaculturalists, including Robyn Francis,
traveled to Cuba to work with hundreds of Cubans on sustainable food
systems design.  Robyn, a well traveled expert in permaculture
education in the 2/3rds (developing) world, helped local organizers
use permaculture design prinicpals and techniques in their urban
agriculture efforts.  During this time, worker cooperatives were set
up, market gardens and public transportation flourished, little to no
pesticides or fertilizers were employed, and catastrophic famine was
avoided.  This partnership has continued to be highly successful and
now some of the most experienced urban permaculture experts in the
world come from Cuba because of the courageous spirit of the Cuban
citizenry.  Currently, the Cuba-Australia Permaculture Exchange
(CAPE) is working on sustainable housing developments using natural
building to compliment the work they began together with urban agriculture

Water Harvesting
There are numerous ways in which a full-time Permaculture Relief
Corps could operate in Haiti in short and long-term time frames.
Short Term:
Building sewage systems, composting toilets, compost and recyclying
centers, rocket and solar stoves, temporary shelters (perma-yurts),
water catchment, and plant nurseries.
Long Term:
Permanent natural buildings, water storage, earth works, renewable
energy, permaculture food forests, broad-scale reforestation, farms,
aquaculture systems, health centers and schools.
In the fall of 2003 a team of international permaculturalists
including broad-scale permaculture designer Darren Doherty arrived in
Haiti for a village relocation after torrential floods.

Design for a new village
Today their team in collaboration with the local community and the
Organization for the Rehabilitation of the Environment ORE  is working on:

- Low cost relief from floods
- Waste management & recycling to protect the environment
- Hygienic toilets to improve family health
- A community center to bring people together
- Privacy to reduce stress within families
- Green spaces to enhance quality of life
- Fruit trees to generate income
- Utilizing daily wind patterns, heat and cooling cycles
- Covenants to protect their community

Haiti is in desperate need of our assistance which can not come soon
enough.  8 out of 10 Haitians live in abject poverty and need the
long term commitment of folks working for a sustainable and abundant
future.   Please check out the links below of organizations doing
great work in this field.
If you are interested in the formation of a Permaculture Relief Corps
like the one I'm proposing please email thejulianeffect(at)gmail.com
and I will keep you up to date on the latest developments.
My heart goes our to all those working and living in Haiti right now,
5
tweets
retweet

Sincerly,
Evan Schoepke (@gaiapunk)
Principal of Gaia Punk Designs
Permaculture ACROSS boarders
CAPE
ORE
Chi'Bagoda (bambitat perma-yurts

01/12/10 07:35:00

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org