[Ccpg] TONIGHT!/Our Seeds: Seeds Blong Yumi Film/Special for Rainy Night $5

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Jan 20 06:15:33 PST 2010

Rainy Night Special, $5 for Film Donation
  Film Night, Wednesday, January 20
Emacs!

A Film from the Seed Savers Network
"Our Seeds: Seeds Blong Yumi"
Wed, January 20, 2010  7- 9:30 pm, Donation $7 (students/seniors $5)
Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery

"Our Seeds" addresses the problems of globalized food based on
hybrids that require pesticides and synthetic fertilizers. The film
shows how individuals and small groups have solved these problems. A
celebration of the seed keepers that stand at the source of
humanity's diverse food heritage.

The film introduces those who stand at the source of humanity's
diverse food heritage. It is a David and Goliath story where
resilience and persuasive logic triumph over seemingly invincible
forces that control much of our food.

Seed Savers directors, and long time permaculturists Michel and Jude
Fanton shot a hundred and sixty hours in eleven countries: Spain,
France, Italy, India, Sri Lanka, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Papua New
Guinea and Solomon Islands.  (www.seedsavers.net)

The film features Pacific islanders as they face great challenges to
their way of life, their culture and their traditional cultivation
systems. They fall into the same traps as we do:- replacing abundant
varieties of root staples with modern hybrids that require pesticides
and chemical fertilisers; they import low quality starch such as
white rice, biscuits and noodles and risk losing their resilient food
crops. This film seeks to reverse this trend.

"Our Seeds: Seeds Blong Yumi", a film celebrating the keepers of the
seeds, and the farmers and gardeners who preserve and share the
source of our food heritage.

         The film event takes place at the Santa Barbara Public
Library, Faulkner Gallery, 40 East Anapamu St, in downtown Santa
Barbara, Wed, January 20,
  7-9:30pm, 2010.  No reservations are required, donation $7
(students/seniors $5). For more information please call (805)
962-2571,
<mailto:margie at sbpermaculture.org>margie at sbpermaculture.org;
www.sbpermaculture.org.

A collaboration of Hopedance Media www.hopedance.org, Santa Barbara
Food Not Lawns www.sbfoodnotlawns.org and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

SEED SWAP EVENT SATURDAY JANUARY 23:
Santa Barbara Community Seed Swap Day
Saturday, January 23, 10 - 2pm
Alameda Park, downtown Santa Barbara, 200 East Sola Street
FREE
Bring seeds, plants, cuttings, and garden knowledge to swap, or come
get seeds to sow, grow, harvest, save and share next year.
Activities for all ages: story hour, crafts, seed ball making, seed
saving lessons, seed envelope making, worm composting, learn about
bare root trees, and more!

The Glendessary Jam and Spencer the Gardener will play music that
will have your toes tapping.
Friends of Seed Swap include:  Edible Santa Barbara, Glendessary Jam,
Healing Grounds Nursery, Hope Dance Media, Island Seed And Feed, Judy
Sims, La Huerta, Owen Dell, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, Santa
Barbara Food Not Lawns, SBCC Center for Sustainability, Santa Barbara
Organic Garden Club, Santa Barbara Permaculture Guild, Spencer The
Garden, The Worm Girl, and more folks joining..

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org