[Ccpg] A Cascading "Blue Economy"

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Apr 22 03:00:59 PDT 2010

Hi everyone-

Many have been asking, what is a "Blue Economy" that Gunter Pauli is
promoting with his new book of the same name.  He also talks about a
cascading waterfall metaphor, that is nicely described below, and is
related to the blue economy thinking he proposes.  I like it a lot,
seems very permaculture--thought others might like to read too.
Margie Bushman, SB Permaculture Network

"A cascade is a waterfall. It requires no power, it flows with the
force of gravity. It transports nutrients between biological kingdoms
- absorbed minerals feed microorganisms, microorganisms feed plants,
plants feed other species, with the waste of one being nourishment
for another".

Cascading energy and nutrients leads to sustainability, says Pauli,
by reducing or eliminating inputs such as energy, and eliminating
waste and its cost - not just as pollution but also as an inefficient
use of materials. In ecosystems, there is no waste because the by
products of one process are inputs to another process"

from

April 05, 2010 Article:

In Place of a "less bad" Economy

  http://www.doorsofperception.com/archives/2010/04/in_place_of_a_l.php

More about Gunter Pauli and the Blue Economy on: www.zeri.org;
www.blueeconomy.de,  www.sbpermaculture.org

(Gunter Pauli in SB on April 23, 24, 25 hosted by SBCC Center for
Sustainability, see www.sbpermaculture.org)

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
  www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
  http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org