[Ccpg] 10 Ways Our World is Becoming More Shareable

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Jul 12 07:34:49 PDT 2010

10 Ways Our World is Becoming More Shareable
Yes Magazine
June 25th, 2010
Share and Enjoy:
http://news.yourolivebranch.org/2010/06/25/10-ways-our-world-is-becoming-more-shareable/
	*

by Neal Gorenflo, Jeremy Adam Smith

Sharing is a big deal these days. Sharing is a
growth industry, a new field of study and of
practice; it presents a realm of career
opportunities, a new way of life, and a concept
around which we are restructuring our world.
Sharing is the answer to some of today's biggest
questions: How will we meet the needs of the
world's enormous population? How do we reduce our
impact on the planet and cope with the
destruction already inflicted? How can we each be
healthy, enjoy life, and create thriving
communities?
-Janelle Orsi, "Four Degrees of Sharing"

Our world is inherently shareable, though it's
easy to take that for granted. We are already
historically connected by climate, roads,
fisheries, language, forests, culture, and social
networks, all of which are part of the commons.
But in recent decades, the rules of access and
ownership have started to shift in new
directions, making sharing more convenient,
necessary, fulfilling, and even profitable. Here
are ten  ways that our world is becoming more
shareable.

Sharing as a Lifestyle. The ways to share in
everyday life seem to be multiplying like
rabbits, but maybe the Great Recession is just
forcing all of us to pay more attention these
days.
There's
carsharing, ridesharing, bikesharing, yardsharing,
coworking, cohousing, tool libraries, all kinds
of cooperatives-it goes on, trust us. And ways to
share power, dialogue, and knowledge, such as
workplace democracy, citizens' deliberative
councils, unconferences, open space, and world
café, are getting more attention these days,
aided by innovative Web 2.0 tools.
There are also scores of new websites-like
Divvy, Neighborgoods, ShareSomeSugar, Relay
Rides, Rentalic, hyperlocavore, and many
more-designed to help us share real stuff. Taking
all of these into account, it's entirely possible
to create a complete lifestyle based on sharing.
You can live in a cohousing community, work in a
co-op, grow food in your neighbor's yard, and get
to the open space town council meeting via your
carshare. Want to know about the nuts and bolts
of how to build a Shareable life? Check out The
Sharing Solution by Janelle Orsi and Emily Doskow.

Shareable Cities. A revolution is underway in our
understanding of cities. The revolution couldn't
come any sooner, considering that 2007 was the
first year in human history that the majority of
human beings lived in cities. Perhaps as a
result, cities are becoming the focal point for
our collective hopes and dreams, as well as all
kinds of innovation needed to avert a worsening
climate crisis.

In the past, we tended to see cities as dirty,
unnatural, and isolating places; today, citizens
and urban planners alike are starting to see
their potential for generating widespread
well-being at low financial and environmental
cost. There's increasing appreciation for the
benefits of public transit, urban agriculture,
making room on the streets for pedestrians and
bicyclists, and for civic engagement. The very
thing that defines a city-its population
density-makes sharing easier, from cars to bikes
to homes.
Perhaps in response, there seems to be a
boomlet in technology that helps First World
urbanites understand their environment, share,
and use resources more effectively; IBM has based
their massive Smarter Cities advertising campaign
around this theme. But it may be that the most
successful innovations will spring from the
megacities of the developing world. In the
absence of vast financial resources, these cities
may do as Bogotá, Colombia did and prioritize
human well being over economic growth. Can a city
become a happiness commons? Former Bogotá mayor
Enrique Penalosa knows from experience that it's
possible.

Social Enterprise & Cooperatives. Definitions
vary, but in general social enterprises, whether
nonprofit or for-profit, offer a product or
service in order to advance a social or
environmental mission with benefits for all. The
industry is small relative to the overall
economy, but growing extremely fast in some
sectors:
	*	Nonprofit earned income grew over
200 percent to $251 billion between 1982 and 2002.
	*	Investment in clean tech ventures
nearly trebled to $5.2 billion between 2004 and
2008 (though it has declined recently thanks to
the Great Recession).
	*	Fair trade good sales doubled
between 2004 and 2007 to around $4 billion.
	*	Over 11,000 worker cooperatives
have emerged in just the last 30 years, many them
embracing prosocial missions in addition to being
managed, governed, and owned by the people who
work at them.
	*	Social investing could grow to
$500 billion in assets under management in 5-10
years, according to the Monitor Institute.

The Nonprofit Sector. Nonprofits are an
increasingly important way for people to share
their wealth and labor. Nicola Goren, former
acting CEO of the Corporation for National and
Community Service, said in a speech last year
that we're in a midst of "a bona fide compassion
boom." The Obama administration is encouraging
the trend toward mutual aid with the United We
Serve program. With engagement and social
enterpreneurship growing, Bill Drayton may be
right: We may yet evolve into a world
where everyone is a change-maker.
	*	In the U.S. alone, donations to
nonprofits more than doubled between 1987 and
2007, to $303 billion.
	*	About 75 percent of all donations
come from private individuals like you and me.
	*	The number of nonprofits doubled
between 1991 and 2006, to 1.9 million.
	*	In 2005, nonprofits employed 12.9
million people, or 9.7 percent of the US
workforce.
	*	In 2008, 61.8 million volunteers
dedicated more than 8 billion hours of service,
worth an estimated $162 billion.

Microfinance is a powerful innovation that
extends small loans and financial services to
help the world's poorest rise out of
poverty, serving customers traditional banks
ignore. The growth of Nobel Peace Prize winner
Muhammad Yunus' Grameen Bank, and its success in
alleviating poverty in Bangladesh, helped trigger
an almost unmanageable surge of money into the
sector-currently about $25 billion, and growing
fast. Grameen has low-interest loan programs for
a variety of poor borrowers, including
no-interest loans, and is owned by the rural poor
it serves. Kiva, a U.S. nonprofit peer-to-peer
microfinance sensation, facilitates around $5
million in no-interest loans a month to
entrepreneurs in developing nations through its
website. At one point, Kiva had to limit loans
through their platform because the demand to give
out loans was so high. Microfinance is yet
another way the world is learning to share its
wealth.

The Internet. It's easy to take it for granted,
but its potential as a sharing platform has
arguably just begun to unfold. The Internet
itself would not be possible if people did not
share labor, code, and infrastructure. No one
owns it or runs it. It's built and it operates on
free and open source software and open standards.
Data travels over networks and is routed through
servers owned by private individuals and
corporations who share transport and routing
duties.
This global commons enables the creation of
tremendous value. Harvard Business School
professor John Quelch estimates that the economic
impact of the Internet is $1.4 trillion annually
in the U.S. alone. This year, the Computer and
Communications Industry Association calculated
that companies and nonprofits relying on "fair
use" (such as search engines, web hosts, and
social media) employ 17 million people and
generate $4.7 trillion a year, one sixth of our
Gross Domestic Product.
All of that value is created on top of what is
essentially volunteer sharing on a massive scale.
As late as 1992, IBM did not think such a network
was possible. Through its runaway success, the
Internet has become the model for organizing life
in the twenty-first century, as well as the
essential infrastructure and distribution channel
for commerce, ideas, work, and play.
And its influence reaches far beyond the online
world. The Internet is reprogramming culture to
the degree that society will likely be remade in
its image, so that we have a better chance at
thriving like it does. As you'll see by the end
of this list, this change is already underway.

Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). FOSS and
the Internet have a symbiotic relationship. The
Internet would not have been possible without
FOSS. And the growth of FOSS relies on the
Internet to power its peer production and
distribution model. Over 270 million people use
the Firefox browser, a shared, freely available
tool. Half of the world's Web sites, about 112
million, run on Apache Server, also open source.
A quarter of a million websites run on Drupal, a
leading open source content management system.
That's just scratching the surface: Today, there
are over 200,000 open source projects with nearly
5 billion lines of code that would cost an
estimated $387 billion to reproduce. Check out
the Infoworld's Open Source Hall of Fame for more
on desktop favorites, like Ubuntu, as well as
obscure but vital infrastructure projects like
BIND. You might also check out the Open Source
Census, which tracks business installations of
FOSS.
Today, millions of people and organizations rely
on FOSS for their daily work, as do a growing
number of governments. It's a pervasive part of
life in the developed world-and because of its
low cost, open source may become even more
important to developing countries.

The Open Way. Inspired by the success of free and
open source software, the values and practices of
open source-making information and innovations
publicly available-are being applied in a truly
dizzying number of ways. In just the last few
years, open or peer-to-peer sharing strategies
have gained significant traction in science,
business, culture, education, and government.
Applications of "the open way" range from the
obscure, like the open source tractor, to the
everyday, like the OpenStreetMaps project. It's a
tough trend to quantify because it is so viral
and self-organized. To get a sense of the scope
of the movement, check out the P2P
Foundation blog or opensource.com.
The Obama administration's Open Government
Directive is currently one of the most visible of
these efforts, at least in the U.S. The
directive ordered executive departments and
agencies to identify and publish online in an
open format at least three high-value data sets;
create an open government web page and respond to
public input received via that page; and develop
and publish an Open Government Plan that will
describe how they will improve transparency and
integrate public participation and collaboration
into its activities.

Social Media. Sharing is the currency of social
media. And as the author of Socialnomics, Erik
Qualman, says, social media is bigger than you
think.
	*	More video was uploaded to
YouTube in the last six months than was produced
by the three major TV networks in 60 years.
	*	With over 400 million users,
Facebook would be the fourth largest country in
the world by population.
	*	Wikipedia has over 13 million
articles, all written by volunteers-and with an
accuracy that studies show is comparable to the
best commercial encyclopedias.
	*	In 2008, one in eight newly
married couples met through social media.
	*	Ninety-six percent of Generation
Y has joined a social network, where sharing is a
way of life.
	*	Creative Commons has made it
easier for creators to share their work. They've
licensed over 130 million creative works in 50
countries since 2002.
In these powerful ways, social media has taken sharing mainstream.

Generation G. Now that a Shareable world has a
serious foothold, all that's needed is a willing
population to scale it up. There's a strong
argument that Gen Y is the generation that can
bring a shareable world to fruition.
Roughly 100 million strong in the United States,
Gen Y grew up on the Internet and brings its
values and practices, including sharing, into the
real world. Last year TrendWatching.com called
them Generation G (for "generous") and said they
are accelerating a cultural shift where "giving
is already the new taking." They may not reach
their full sharing potential until later in life,
but there are promising indicators:
	*	Sixty-one percent of 13-25 year
olds feel personally responsible for making a
difference in the world.
	*	Eighty-three percent will trust a
company more if it's socially and environmentally
responsible.
	*	Volunteering by college students
increased by 20 percent between 2002 and 2005.
	*	Eighty-three percent volunteered in 2005.

Gary Hamel believes that this massive
generational force, which outnumbers baby
boomers, promises to transform our world in the
image of the Internet, a world where sharing and
contributing to the common good are integral to
the good life. William Strauss and Neil Howe,
authors of Millennials Rising, believes that Gen
Y is a hero generation, coming of age in a time
of crisis they're already helping to resolve,
largely by applying the tools and mindset of
sharing.

Neal Gorenflo and Jeremy Adam Smith wrote this
article for YES! Magazine, a national, nonprofit
media organization that fuses powerful ideas with
practical actions. Neal is the publisher of
Shareable.net, a new online magazine that
explores the ways that sharing is transforming
life in the twenty-first century. Jeremy is the
editor of Shareable.net, author of The Daddy
Shift, and co-editor of two anthologies, The
Compassionate Instinct and Are We Born Racist?,
which Beacon Press will publish in August 2010.