[Ccpg] Permaculture moves forward at the LA County Arboretum & Botanic Garden

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Aug 22 17:00:26 PDT 2010

Exploring a place for permaculture in public garden education

  http://pcnpg.wordpress.com/2010/08/21/permaculture-moves-forward-at-the-la-county-arboretum-botanic-garden/
Posted by: Erin Marteal | August 21, 2010

Permaculture moves forward at the LA County Arboretum & Botanic Garden

18 Aug. Back in LA and just hours before taking
off on V Australia #8, I stopped in to chat with
Richard Schulhof, CEO of the LA County Arboretum
and Botanic Garden about the status of
permaculture at the arboretum.  I was pleased
that Jill Morganelli, Horticultural Curator was
also able to join us.

Despite the recent departure of the gardenís
permaculture curator, Caitlin Bergman,
permaculture is not only holding steady, but
growing at the LA Arboretum.  Plans are afoot for
developing a new permaculture garden in a space
now referred to as ëturf island,í that also
happens to be right out in the middle of the
garden.  It will feature native California
plants, along with some edible and medicinal
plants important to local indigenous cultures.
Different from the Permasphere tucked off in the
back 40, the new permaculture garden will be hard
to miss.  It will also be well-interpreted.

According to Jill Morganelli, ìPeople want to see
how they can do this in their own backyard.  To
me, our job is to show an example of what
homeowners can do at home.î  Morganelli also
emphasizes the role of community: ìpermaculture
is as much about community as it is about
growing.î

One of the challenges of public garden education,
according to Schulhof, is ìhow to make it more
accessible.  Public gardens can do a better job
of teaching natural systems.  Itís very difficult
to get people interested in carbon cycling and
mycorrhiza.  However in permaculture, youíre
physically doing it; youíre engaged in it.î

Permaculture also differs from traditional public
garden horticulture in its focus on process as
much as on the end product. According to
Morganelli, î A permaculture garden is entirely
about process.î  Many public garden displays are
about creating a display for the public, but
donít necessarily teach a visitor how to do it,
nor do they create an impression that such a
display is achievable or accessible.

Another way permaculture stands apart from other
types of public garden education, according to
Schulhof and Morganelli, is that it ìholds
particular appeal for teens.  Especially teenage
boys, who are one of the most under-served
audiences of public gardens.î

With such a positive public response and the
educationally apposite nature of permaculture at
the LA Arboretum, why are so few other public
gardens following suit?  ìThere is a great deal
of risk aversion in the museum and public garden
fields,î suggests Schulhof.  Schulhof also posits
that some may think permaculture has been
superseded by other more sophisticated green
technologies.  ìPermaculture is extremely low
tech, and you can do it in a very local way.
However, understanding of permaculture also
requires a certain level of science literacy that
many people donít have.î  Many public gardens may
also find the low-cost of implementing
permaculture to hold significant appeal,
especially in our now sluggish economy.

Yet permaculture is still widely misunderstood.
The first question most people ask about
permaculture at the LA Arboretum is, ìWhat is
permaculture?î  When I asked whether any concern
or negative response about the aesthetic quality
of the permaculture garden had been raised by the
public, Shulhof reports heís heard only positive,
great things about the aesthetics.  He admits,
however, that with the new, much more visible
permaculture garden, more criticism is likely.
ìAs director,î he says, ìif I were not provoking
visitors to ask questions, then what are we here
for?î

ìIím from the era of ornamental horticulture, and
I really feel Iím witnessing the end of that era.
Young people today want to make a difference.  I
see permaculture in public gardens providing an
avenue for that impulse and interest.î

NOTE: Photos/movie clip from the interview will
be coming shortly.  Freshly arrived in Australia,
I have a few technical difficulties to iron out.
I will also be posting on my interview with Scott
Kleinrock, coordinator of the Ranch project at
the Huntington Botanical Gardens.