[Ccpg] UPCYCLING Radio Program/Annie Leonard/Tom SzakyTerraCycle/Mark Frauenfelder Made by Hand: Searching for Meaning in a Throwaway World/To the Best of Our Knowledge NPR

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Nov 22 08:07:09 PST 2010

http://www.wpr.org/book/Pod101121B.mp3
You've heard about recycling - what about upcycling? It's the hottest
trend in a world trying hard to go green. Recycling breaks materials
down and uses them again -upcycling is using old stuff to build new
things, from cigar box guitars to juice pouch messenger bags. In this
hour of To the Best of Our Knowledge, we explore the new world of
upcycling, from the scavenger life of a do-it-yourselfer to the
second life of garbage.

SEGMENT 1:
Annie Leonard is the author of "The Story of Stuff." She tells Steve
Paulson what happens to most of the plastic bottles consumers
carefully washout and recycle: they end up being shipped to the third
world. An extended version of this interview can be heard HERE.

SEGMENT 2:
Tom Szaky is the founder and CEO of a company called TerraCycle. His
book is "Revolution in a Bottle: How TerraCycle Is Redefining Green
Business." Szaky tells Jim Fleming how his company turns candy
wrappers and juice bottles into pencil cases and backpacks sold at
Walmart stores. Also, Mark Frauenfelder is co-creator of the weblog
BoingBoing dot net and the author of "Made by Hand: Searching for
Meaning in a Throwaway World." He talks with Anne Strainchamps about
some of his DIY (do-it-yourself) projects from vegetables to cigar
box guitars.

SEGMENT 3:
David Sterritt is chair of the National Society of Film Critics. He
tells Steve Paulson about beatnik filmmaker Bruce Conner, the father
of the music video and creator of a style of video montage that's
still widely influential and prefigures today's upcycling movement.
CD copies are available at 1-800-747-7444. Ask for program number 10-11-21-A.