[Ccpg] Pacifica Graduate Institute - Summerland CA

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Feb 13 05:29:15 PST 2011

http://www.pacifica.edu/innercontent-m.aspx?id=5166#Crew

OUR MISSION:

Our year round production from 7 acres yields magnificent produce at
reasonable prices and in the most sustainable manner. Produce is
available to staff, students, faculty and the community from these
demonstration mini-market gardens. The farm is located at 249 Lambert
Road on Pacifica's lower campus. We specialize in advanced and
traditional organic growing practices and produce a wide variety of
organic herbs, fruits, grains and vegetables. We practice and teach
sustainable farming and seed saving techniques. We host interns and
volunteers to augment the work of paid staff. If you are interested in
volunteering on the farm for an exchange for food or farming
education, please contact Marshall Chrostowski.

To us some important aspects of growing year-round include:

* Shunning use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
* Managing pests, soils and microhabitats following integrated pest
management principles and practices.
* Using organic transplants from untreated, non-genetically modified seeds.
* Producing our own compost to improve soil conditions and supply
basic plant nutrition.
* Maintaining a system of permanent raised planting beds.
* Rotating crops to minimize pests, diseases and to optimize soil fertility.
* Trialing old and new varieties to discover those best adapted to
this bio-region.
* Maintaining habitats supporting beneficial insect life with abundant
flowering plants in farm beds and surrounding gardens to support a
healthier ecosystem.
* Maintaining a collection of rare fava beans, ancient grains and
other crop seeds.
* Presenting educational programs including garden tours, workshops,
and consulting.

OUR ROOTS:

The Lambert campus of Pacifica Graduate Institute is located in a
historically and ecologically unique part of the world. The land has
been occupied for thousands of years, each group of inhabitants having
left their mark on the land. Chumash Native Americans were replaced by
a series of immigrant land owners; then in the early 20th century, Max
Fleischmann built his Edgewood Ranch on the site, the core of which
now comprises some of Pacifica's major buildings. At one time the
Edgewood property included 1200 acres of fruit trees and other
agriculture.

Our long range vision for the Lambert campus is to sustain a green
belt around the heart of the campus. This green belt is comprised of
seven acres of edible landscaping and four acres of gardens
representing the various Mediterranean regions of the world. We
believe that our work honors and nourishes the life systems that have
flourished on this land, past and present, in both their ecological
and spiritual dimensions. All parts of the landscaping stimulate the
minds and hearts of visitors and occupants while honoring our history.

MEET THE FARM CREW:

Marshall Chrostowski is the founder of the Organic Market Gardens and
the land manager for both campuses. He holds advanced degrees in soil
science, plant and tropical ecology, and ethnobotany. He came to
Pacifica in 1989 to renovate the long abandoned grounds and orchards.
In 1990 Marshall called on Pacifica and the greater South
Coast community to plant the first major grain, garlic and fava bean
grow-out in the field now occupied by South Hall. By 1993, several
acres had been set aside for a demonstration urban mini-farm,
expanding over the next 5 years into a local food source for
Pacifica's community and the greater Santa Barbara area. Seed
conservation continued to be featured, accompanied by special
grow-outs and workshops on seed saving and organic gardening.

During the latter part of the 1990's, the farm hosted developmentally
challenged individuals and their job coaches. Graduates of the program
have moved on to productive working lives. Currently we have a farm
crew consisting of Barbara, Linda, Ryan, Logan, Vicki and Alia.
Barbara lives in Summerland and checks on the hens and the farm on
weekends. Linda, an avid swimmer, has worked here the longest,
starting in 1997. Vicki teaches modern dance and is the mother of
three young boys. Logan is an accomplished videographer and
composer/performer. Ralph Begley served for years as our marketing
manager and webmaster and continues to contribute as time allows. Ryan
is in charge of snail patrol and is our weeding wizard! Alia, our
current intern, is studying environmental science and small scale
agriculture. Members of our landscape maintenance crew assist in
preparing farm beds and processing organic material for the many tons
of compost prepared each year.

We invite you to take a tour of the beautiful gardens. We welcome your
participation in our farming tradition. To us, growing food is a
life-enhancing, educational experience we want to share. Please see
more information on the Pacifica web site about visiting and parking.

For additional information please call (805) 687-7109 or e-mail
Marshall at mcfarm at silcom.com.