[Ccpg] FW: Action Alert from David Broadwater: Diablo Canyon/Flying in the Seismic zone MUST STOP - NOW!

Quail Springs info at quailsprings.org
Thu Mar 24 15:13:09 PDT 2011

The info below was copied from: EPI-Center March - SLO CoastKeeper -
Director Gordon Hensley
This is an extremely important idea!  Best to all and forward info to
whoever you can think of.
~~
AN ACTION ALERT FROM DAVID BROADWATER:
Diablo Canyon / Flying Blind in the Seismic Zone MUST STOP - NOW!  IT'S UP
TO US.
            ACTION ALERT
          1.  ATTEND SLO Co. Board of Supervisors (Our Front-Line
First-Responders)

          Tuesday, March 29, 2011

          9:00 AM - Public Comment (not on agenda, yet)

          Tell the BofS to Put This on an Agenda ASAP:

       A proposal that the SLO Co. Board of Supervisors send letters to the
NRC, the  CPUC and all federal and state representatives and agencies
advocating the immediate cessation of NRC and CPUC Diablo relicensing
application processing and funding until the 3-D seismic mapping
of adjacent fault systems (as set forth by state law) is completed and
independently reviewed.

          2.  EMAIL the BofS:

boardofsups at co.slo.ca.usfmecham at co.slo.ca.usbgibson at co.slo.ca.us, ahill@
co.slo.ca.us, jpatterson at co.slo.ca.uspteixeira at co.slo.ca.us,

If Not Now, When? / If Not Us, Who?
Forward this alert as widely as possible.
BACKGROUND:

Stop NRC and CPUC Diablo Canyon Relicensing Applications until 3-D Seismic
Mapping is Completed.

State law requires the Calif. Energy Commission to conduct advanced
three-dimensional mapping of the Hosgri/Shoreline fault system near Diablo
Canyon (Blakeslee).
Last year, the SLO Co. Board of Supervisors wrote the NRC that no
relicensing should proceed until that seismic analysis is completed and
independently reviewed.  PG&E disagrees and the voice of the BofS fell on
deaf ears.
So, the NRC and CPUC blindly forge ahead with Diablo Canyon relicensing and
its ratepayer funding without knowledge that's within our grasp.
The Japanese disaster shows how wrong industry and government assumptions
about potential earthquake magnitude and nuclear plant structural integrity
can be.
Their tragedy shows the moral, environmental and economic folly of
considering another 20 years operating our own aging reactors with
vulnerable radioactive waste sitting on an earthquake zone without fully
examining the forces possibly unleashed.
We cannot allow Diablo Canyon's relicensing to proceed in the face
of blatant negligence and ignorance of attainable information about the
seismic risks.  We must amplify our own and the BofS's voices and demand an
end to this recklessness.

COASTKEEPER NOTE:For more information contact Action Coordinator, David
Broadwater at csi at thegrid.net