[Ccpg] Quail Springs Winter Newsletter - CALENDAR 2012 Programs

Quail Springs info at quailsprings.org
Mon Dec 12 11:34:39 PST 2011

Quail Springs Winter Newsletter - CALENDAR 2012 Programs

********************

Warren Brush presents "Permaculture & Peacemaking in a Thirsty World"

In his presentation at the IPC10 (http://www.ipcon.org/) (Amman, Jordan,
September 2011) Warren took on the topic of peacemaking - in his trademark
style of very interesting storytelling, using examples from nature and
including examples from his experiences with indigenous peoples, and from
conflict zones in Africa.

Click here for an online video of the presentation
(http://permaculture.org.au/2011/10/14/warren-brush-permaculture-and-peacema
king-in-a-thirsty-world-ipc10-presentation-video-plus-permaculture-outreach-
in-kenya/)

**********************

For Fun:  Quail Springs' on MTV's Extreme Cribs!
in the final segment of the show
Click here for the online video
(http://www.mtv.com/videos/extreme-cribs-ep-15/1671010/playlist.jhtml)

**********************

Warren Brush on "Permaculture Design: Sustainable Living Systems"
interview on Women's Radio online, Socially Conscious Investing show
Click here for radio show
(http://www.womensradio.com/episodes/Permaculture-Design%3A-Sustainable-Livi
ng-Systems/10641.html)

**********************

QUAIL SPRINGS SPONSORED EVENTS & PROGRAMS
CALENDAR 2012

FARM & GARDEN APPRENTICESHIP
3 months: April 15 - July 15, 2012
Now accepting applications, read more below

SHELTERSHIP: NATURAL BUILDING APPRENTICESHIP
6 weeks: April 29 - June 8, 2012
Now accepting applications, read more below

QUAIL SPRINGS OPEN HOUSE
June 2, 2012, Saturday
Registrations will open in the springtime, learn more at
www.quailsprings.org (http://www.quailsprings.org/)

PERMACULTURE DESIGN CERTIFICATION COURSE FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
June 18 - July 1, 2012
Now accepting registrations, read more below

SUSTAINABLE VOCATIONS:  Permaculture Design Certification intensive & green
vocations introduction course for youth (ages 15-24)
July 25 - August 11, 2012
Applications will be available in the new year, learn more at
www.sustainablevocations.org (http://www.sustainablevocations.org/home)

PERMACULTURE DESIGN CERTIFICATION COURSE
October 28 - November 11, 2012
Registration will open in the springtime, learn more at www.quailsprings.org
(http://www.quailsprings.org/)

**********************

FARM & GARDEN APPRENTICESHIPS

Spring Session: April 15 - July 15, 2012
Fall Session: August 12 - November 11, 2012

Our three-month long Farm & Garden Apprenticeships bring people from diverse
backgrounds and levels of experience into a coherent, highly functioning
group that is engaged, and committed to nurture our conscious connection,
and honoring of all that sustains us through building soil, growing and
preparing food, learning sustainable ways to harness energy, and build
shelter, tending our watershed, and the wild lands that surround us,
honoring ourselves and one another, develop a clear vision of our ongoing
ability to contribute to vibrant and sustainable systems wherever we are.

Activities include: permaculture gardening, farming and earthworks, seed
saving, plant propagation, livestock care, milking, cheese making, yogurt,
etc., butchering (not required), bread making, food preparation using fresh
local ingredients, preserving the harvest, non-profit administration,
general chores and community care. We also offer special segments covering a
range of areas from natural building and watershed stewardship, to carving,
working with natural fibers, beekeeping, cooking in the earthen, and solar
ovens, sacred hunting, hide tanning, candle making, intro to medicinal
herbs, tincture making, and more.

6 - 8 apprentices are accepted per session. Early application is advised.

Contact to apply or learn more: jan at quailsprings.org
(mailto:info at quailsprings.org?subject=Service%20Learning%20interest) or
805-886-7239

**********************

SHELTERSHIP: SIX WEEK NATURAL BUILDING APPRENTICESHIP

a program of Quail Springs Permaculture

with Sasha Rabin of Vertical Clay (http://www.verticalclay.com)
and Paul Swenson of Quail Springs (http://www.quailsprings.org)

Dates: May 1- June 15, 2012

Sheltership is a six-week intensive natural building apprenticeship and
journey into the creation of a small shelter from start to finish, using
earthen materials, at a beautiful location in the Southern California
mountains.

Sasha Rabin of Vertical Clay and Paul Swenson of Quail Springs will lead a
small group of individuals who are passionate to learn and explore.
Although welcome, experience with natural building is not necessary.  With
natural building materials and applications as our focus, we will also
explore the beauty of natural materials in how they connect us to so many
other aspects of our lives often offering a more holistic approach to living
simply.

During this six-week intensive apprenticeship, we will build a small shelter
(less than 120 square feet) from start to as close to finish as possible,
using a variety of earthen materials and applications. The educational
emphasis will be on student's developing a keen understanding of the
materials, so they can develop insight into the best possible way to use
each of the materials/applications for specific building needs and
individual situations.

We will focus on building with earth, including clay soil, sand, stone and
straw.  These materials will be used in a variety of applications,
including: cob, light straw clay (slip-straw), wattle and daub, earth bag,
earthen plasters, poured earthen floor, and some woodwork.

The learning process will primarily be a hands-on study ethic, with lecture
worked in through the day in usually under one-hour sessions.  We will offer
inspiring slideshows, as well as a field trip to visit natural buildings in
the region.

Sheltership will weave within our local community, interfacing with various
farm and garden activities, community gatherings and special events, day to
day community care, preparation and sharing of meals, music and
storytelling, explorations of the area watershed and wildlands, and more!

More about Sheltership's facilitating teachers

Sasha Rabin has been building and teaching to build with natural materials
since co-founding Seven Generations Natural Builders in 2002.  Partner in
Vertical Clay natural building company, she lives and works at a suburban
permaculture and natural building home demonstration site in El Sobrante,
California.  www.verticalclay.com (http://www.verticalclay.com/)

Paul Swenson practices land stewardship & natural building as one of the
founding team at Quail Springs Permaculture.  He has been practicing and
teaching natural building since 2005.  Paul's teaching style is empowering
and puts people at ease, with an emphasis on self-discovery, enjoyment, and
creating beauty. www.quailsprings.org (http://www.quailsprings.org/)

Application Information
As the intensive is limited to 10 participants, early application is
advised.

Contact to apply or learn more:  info at quailsprings.org
(mailto:info at quailsprings.org) or 805-886-7239

**********************

Permaculture Design Certification Course for International Development

with Warren Brush & Loren Luyendyk & guests

June 18 - July 1, 2012

We have tailored this program to equip people who work in international
development situations with the skills needed to design and implement
sustainable human settlement systems. This course is designed for people who
work with Non Government Organizations, Government Agencies, or who are
Community Organizers working in International Development.

Permaculture is fast becoming one of the most effective design methodologies
for attaining sustainability worldwide. Permaculture is in 160 countries
with an estimated 850,000 grassroots projects on-the-ground, feeding more
people than all the world food aid organizations combined.

How would permaculture benefit your international development organization:
. Give your agency the tools to integrate sustainable systems design into
existing projects
. Learn to create stable and resilient food, shelter, water and waste
cycling systems for health and abundance in any of your projects
. Create an ethics and principle based training program within your
organization that honors local customs, traditional knowledge and ecological
conditions
. Allows your agency to have staff who have hands-on experience in creating
holistic designs for various circumstances and environments, composting,
water harvesting, bio-sand filters, and the building of rocket stoves.

People working in international development will benefit from the years of
experience of our teaching team in applying permaculture around the globe.
We have tailored the entire permaculture certification curriculum to better
equip the people who work international situations where people live in
non-westernized conditions.

Course topics delivered in a combination of classroom and practicum sessions
include:permaculture certification curriculum, integrated design basics,
sustainable human settlement design priorities for varied climates, water
harvesting, waste cycling, local food resilience, sustainable agriculture
systems, aquaculture, livestock integration, appropriate technology, energy
efficiency, ecological building, hydrological system restoration, water
filtration, integrated pest management, keyline, composting, compost
toilets, earthworks, greywater design, cooking technologies, peacemaking,
conflict resolution, and community organizing.

Hands-on projects include:
. rocket stove for reducing cooking fuels by 75%
. biosand water filter
. a simple compost toilet
. bioswale mapping and construction
. building a compost system

The Teaching Team:  Our instruction team is comprised of a diverse mix of
special guest instructors led by international permaculture educator,
designer and co-founder of Quail Springs, Warren Brush and the founder of
Surfers Without Borders and Global Permaculture Design Group, Loren
Luyendyk.

Warren is a certified Permaculture designer, educator, and a seasoned
storyteller. He is the co-founder of Quail Springs Permaculture
(http://www.quailsprings.org) , Wilderness Youth Project, Sustainable
Vocations (http://www.sustainablevocations.org/home) , True Nature Design
(http://www.permaculturedesign.us)  and Trees for Children. He works
extensively in Permaculture education and sustainability design in North
America and in Africa.

Loren is a lifetime surfer and was inspired to create Surfers Without
Borders (http://surferswithoutborders.org/Surfers_Without_Borders.html)  to
address the issue of ocean pollution through Permaculture and sustainable
design. Loren has a degree in Biology from UCSB, and has studied
sustainability and horticulture extensively.

Cost: $1650.  Early bird registration: $1,450 by February 1, 2012
Price Includes: instruction, certification, camping accommodations, and
meals

Contact:  Click here for Online Inquiry and Pre-Registration
(https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHVtOU9Ubkhtel
NEN3JLeTBuNVVPcXc6MQ)
or call 805-886-7239

**********************

We believe that lasting ecological health and social harmony can be fostered
through emphasizing the connection between people, food, shelter, energy,
and water.

Quail Springs Permaculture is dedicated to demonstrating and teaching
holistic ways of designing human environments, and to facilitating deeper
understandings of ourselves and one another through immersive experiences in
nature.

www.quailsprings.org

Kolmi Majumdar
www.quailsprings.org