[Ccpg] SAVE THE DATE/Mon Jan 16/Carolyn Raffenspeger/Precautionary Principle the Golden Rule for Future Generations

Margie Bushman, Coordinator, SBCC Center for Sustainability sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Dec 22 20:15:50 PST 2011

SBCC Center for Sustainability Hosts:
Precautionary Principles the Golden Rule for Future Generations

The Precautionary Principle
   the Golden Rule for Future Generations
with Carolyn Raffensperger

and special guest David Eisenberg
Monday, January 16, 7pm-9:30pm, 2012
Santa Barbara City College, West Campus, Fe Bland Auditorium
$10 general/$5 SBCC Students

What does the present owe the future?

         From medicine to agriculture, energy, communication, and
transportation, we have technologies our grandparents could not have
imagined.  Some of these technologies have dark sides and unknown
consequences.  Who will be the guardians for future generations
insuring that our present technologies don't negatively impact our descendants?

The Precautionary Principle suggests that we err on the side of
caution when designing for our future.  It is a tool for making
better health and environmental decisions, and aims to prevent harm
from the outset rather than manage it after the fact.

Although America's founding father's intended a government that would
allow its citizens life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, they
could not have anticipated the industrial age with its extremely
toxic substances that now pollute the soil, air, and water, our
country's commons.

What role does both government and the individual play in protecting
these commons, our common heritage?  What compelling vision can we
have for ourselves and our children that allows us to be prosperous,
healthy, and ecologically whole?  Come learn about the Precautionary
Principle and its tool kit for communities, organizations, and government.

Carolyn Raffensperger has helped define, shape, and lead the
precautionary movement.  She and her team at the Science and
Environmental Health Network, have purposefully sown the seeds of the
precautionary principle across the United States.

Carolyn Raffensperger is an environmental lawyer and the Executive
Director of the Science and Environmental Health Network. She is the
co-editor of Precautionary Tools for Reshaping Environmental Policy
published by M.I.T. Press (2006) and Protecting Public Health and the
Environment: Implementing the Precautionary Principle, published by
Island Press (1999). Together, these volumes are the most
comprehensive exploration to date of the history, theory, and
implementation of the precautionary principle.  Carolyn coined the
term "ecological medicine" to encompass the broad notions that both
health and healing are entwined with the natural world.

Carolyn will be joined by her friend and colleague David Eisenberg of
the Development Center for Appropriate Technology (DCAT), who since
1995, has led the effort to create a sustainable context for building
regulations.  A panel discussion including community members from
backgrounds of health, agriculture, social justice, and
education  will follow the talk.

The event takes place on Monday, January 16, 7pm - 9:30pm, at the Fe
Bland Auditorium, Santa Barbara City College West Campus, 721 Cliff
Dr, SB 93109.  Admission $10 general/$5 SBCC students, no
reservations required. More info; (805)965-0581,ext 2177, sbpcnet at silcom.com

Event Sponsors: Oasis Design, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network &
the SBCC Center for Sustainability

SBCC Center for Sustainability
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu

More Info:

Carolyn Raffensperger
Science and Environmental Health Network:
www.sehn.org

Articles:

Carolyn Raffensperger Interview:
The Precautionary Principle asks whether harm can be prevented
instead of assessing degrees of "acceptable " risk:
http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/technology-who-chooses/461

How Do You Love All the Children, Interview with Architect, Designer
William McDonough:
http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/power-of-one/how-do-you-love-all-the-children

"If design is a signal of intent, and we look at what we've done with
the first industrial revolution, we would have to ask, did we intend
to do this? If we articulated the retroactive design assignment of
the First Industrial Revolution, it would be something like this:
"Could you design a system that pollutes the soil, air, and water;
that measures productivity by how few people are working; that
measures prosperity by how much natural capital you can dig up, bury,
burn, or otherwise destroy; that measures progress by the number of
smokestacks and requires thousands of complex regulations to keep you
from killing each other too quickly; that destroys bio-diversity and
cultural diversity; that produces things that are so highly toxic
they require thousands of generations to maintain constant vigil
while living in terror?"   William McDonough, the Next Industrial Revolution

-end-
Emacs!

Margie Bushman
Coordinator, SBCC Center for Sustainability
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/
PPlease consider the environment before printing this email.