[Ccpg] TONIGHT!/May 6/Future of Money/Creating Sustainability & Abundance with Complementary Currencies/Bernard Lietaer Evening Talk 6:30pm

Margie Bushman, Coordinator SBCC Center for Sustainability sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun May 6 06:18:45 PDT 2012

We are fortunate to have author and economist
Bernard Lietaer with us.  It is an incredible
honor to have an international speaker of this
caliber decide to come to SBCC and the Center for
Sustainability while in our region, another unexpected opportunity.

As we see all the changes happening, even to
institutions and infrastructure we thought would
always be there (community colleges, post
offices, government agencies), we realize an
understanding of the topic of money and monetary
systems needs focus and understanding by all for
a more sustainable future.   Please join us!
The SBCC Center for Sustainability Presents:
The Future of Money:
Creating Sustainability & Abundance
  with Complementary Currencies
[]

with Bernard Lietaer
  Sunday May 6, 2012
6:30-9pm
Fe Bland Auditorium, Santa Barbara City College, West Campus
$10 General -$5 SBCC Students

"Money is like an iron ring we've put through our
noses. We've forgotten that we designed it, and it is now leading us around"
                                                                                                         Bernard
Lietaer

         According to Bernard Lietaer, scarcity
doesn't need to be a guiding principle of our
economic system.  He also suggests that money
should work for us, not the other way around, and
unlike the weather, wasn't created by Nature, it was created by us!

Monetary systems have existed throughout human
history, and with the centuries-old model that
currently exists, has been the culprit for many
of the negative economic and environmental issues
we face today.  But what most have forgotten is
that money is a human designed construct that we
absolutely have the ability to redesign for a
more abundant and sustainable future.

Join the SBCC Center for Sustainability for a
talk with Bernard Lietaer, author of the newly
published book, "New Money for a New World" on
Sunday, May 6, 6:30-9pm, as he discusses radical
but proven ideas about complementary currencies
and their ability to strengthen local communities
and their economies, while buffering them from
the ups and downs of the global economy.  Using
innovative new systems of exchange, along side
existing national currencies, Lietaer suggests we
move away from single currency monocultures, with
their inevitable boom and bust cycles, to
multiple and diverse systems of exchange.  When
one exchange system goes down, another one is in
place for welcome stability, with a resilience
and diversity that mimics natural ecosystems.

Sharing compelling examples of successful
complementary currencies used around the globe
today and those from past eras of history,
Lietaers ideas are less revolutionary than they
appear.  Using creative initiatives such as
airline frequent flyer miles (a form of
complementary currency promoting customer-loyalty
in exchange for free travel), Time Banks,
commercial barter, carbon currency and mutual
credit systems, communities can empower
themselves and flourish in spite of the current
economic crisis, by simply rethinking how money works.

For learning institutions such as colleges that
currently leave many students in enormous debt
and others left out of the system altogether, an
exemplary complementary currency model is the
Brazilian Saber, where funds from a small tax on
cell phone usage is used to create "sabers"
officially redeemable for teaching other students
or tuition payments, thereby creating a "learning
chain and learning multiplier" effect.  The
University of Missouri, Kansas City, introduced
an innovative complementary currency called
Buckaroos, that students can earn while
performing community service activities.

Bernard Lietaer is a former Belgium banker and
the author of several highly acclaimed books
including The Future of Money: Beyond Greed &
Scarcity; and Creating Wealth; Growing Local
Economies with Local Currencies, and his most
recent, New Money for a New World.  He has been
active in the realm of money systems in a wide
variety of functions for almost 40 years,
including being one of the principle architects
of the European euro.  Formerly a professor of
international finance at the University of
Louvain, Lietaer was a fellow at the Center for
Sustainable Resources at the University of
California, Berkeley.  Lietaer co-founded one of
the largest and most successful currency
management firms, GaiaCorp.  He is co-founder of
ACCESS Foundation, an educational non-profit
organization whose goal is the re-alignment of
sustainability and global financial
interests.  Business Week magazine named him "the
world's top currency trader" in 1992.

Faye Cox, local currency expert, will introduce
and facilitate the talk, which will include an
interesting discussion of how complementary
currencies might be used to address critical
social and economic issues in our region.

The evening talk takes place on Sunday, May 6,
6:30pm-9pm, 2012, at the Fe Bland Auditorium,
Santa Barbara City College West Campus, 721 Cliff
Drive, SB, 93109. $10 general/$5 SBCC students.
No reservations required. More info:
(805)962-2571, email: sbpcnet at silcom.com,
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/. Campus parking is free on Sundays.

Sponsored by:
The SBCC Center for Sustainability
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/
Co-sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network,
Santa Barbara Time Bank, & the Santa Barbara Slow Money Chapter

Read More:

Bernard Lietaer website: http://www.lietaer.com/

Santa Barbara TimeBank:
http://santabarbara.timebanks.org/

International Journal of Community Currency Research (IJCCR):
The online forum for disseminating knowledge
about community and complementary currencies around the world.
http://www.ijccr.net/IJCCR/IJCCR_Home.html

Quotes:

"National currency is cold and selfish by itself.
So let's create community currencies with which
we can warm up our communities as New Money For A New World recommends."
~Tsutomu Hotta
Former Minister of Justice and Supreme Court Judge in Japan
Chairman, Sawayaka Welfare Foundation
Founder of the Japanese "Fureai Kippu" currencies
"Bernard Lietaer and Stephen Belgin compel us to
rethink our assumptions about money, economics,
and commerce today. Their analyses and historical
insights are incisive and provoke thought about
what's gone wrong with economies all over the
world. But more importantly, they provide
tangible solutions­illustrated in real-world
examples­to challenges we face with building more
just, prosperous and sustainable global societies."
~Martin N. Davidson, Ph.D.,
Associate Professor at Darden Graduate School of Business
Author of The End of Diversity as We Know It

"Every so often, something comes along that
changes our perceptions, turning our world
upside-down and inside-out. New Money For A New
World will shatter the views of anyone who uses
money, and show how we can make money work for
us, creating greater prosperity and possibility,
while bringing balance to our greatest social and environmental problems."
~Nitin Gadia
Videographer of Creating Our Own Money
Facilitator of the Central Iowa Currency Initiative

Margie Bushman
Program Coordinator, SBCC Center for Sustainability
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/
PPlease consider the environment before printing this email.