[Ccpg] Wood Fired Earthen Oven Workshop June 15-16, at Quail Springs, early bird reg by May 15

Quail Springs Permaculture info at quailsprings.org
Fri May 10 11:50:22 PDT 2013

Wood Fired Earthen Oven Workshop
with Sasha Rabin, at Quail Springs

June 15-16, 2013

Learn to build your own earthen bread and pizza oven using natural
materials from your backyard.  Join us and develop the skills you need
to build your own small structure and feed your friends and family on
fantastic baked goodies!

Cost: $250.  Early bird discounted rate – $215 by May 15, 2013
Contact Kolmi at  info at quailsprings.org or call 805-886-7239 to
register.

This Cob Oven Building workshop is designed to teach you the skills
needed to build your own oven in your backyard, as well as encouraging
a new way of relating to our food and the process in which it is
cooked and created.  The weekend will be catered with food cooked in
the two already existing wood fired cob ovens we have on site.

As we go through the process of building an oven throughout the
weekend we will also be engaging in the process of cooking in one and
sharing and feasting on some of the myriad of things that can be
cooked in them, including a pizza dinner Saturday night, frittatas,
roasted vegetables, sourdough bread, granola, and yogurt.

The process of building as well as cooking in a wood fired oven
encourages us to redevelop our relationship to the way we eat and
cook, encouraging us toengage in the journey of the creation of a meal.

Using clay, sand and straw, we will explore the entire construction
process from foundation to roof. The class is primarily hands on,
involving building an oven from start to finish.  We will also go over
all the other aspects of the building process, including soil
analysis, options for variations on the oven design, moisture
protection, heating and insulation for the oven, as well as how to
fire and cook in the ovens.
Instructor:  Sasha Rabin
Sasha Rabin has a degree in Ecological Design from Evergreen State
College. She has studied natural and traditional methods of building
in Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Indonesia, and the southwest United
States. Following an apprentice at the Cob Cottage Company she worked
with them as an assistant instructor and went on to co-found Seven
Generation Natural Builders. We are pleased to have Sasha living,
teaching, building and baking with Quail Springs Permaculture!