[Ccpg] Introduction to Cob Building Workshop September 25-29, at Quail Springs with Sasha Rabin

Quail Springs Permaculture info at quailsprings.org
Thu Sep 12 11:57:10 PDT 2013

INTRODUCTION TO COB BUILDING WORKSHOP
AT QUAIL SPRINGS PERMACULTURE
WITH SASHA RABIN

SEPTEMBER 25-29, 2013

www.quailsprings.org
www.earthenshelter.com
Quail Springs Permaculture is happy to be offering a 5 day
introduction to Cob building workshop this Month!

Cob building combines clay sediment, sand, fiber, and water, which is
then hand sculpted to form walls, benches, ovens, and fireplaces. Cob
building makes use of readily available, affordable, non-toxic
materials to build beautiful, organic structures.

The course is appropriate for both first-time builders and for
professionals in the building trade who are interested in natural
materials.  In this five-day cob workshop, we focus on the
characteristics of the natural materials most commonly used in
construction:  clay soil, sand, and fibers.  Our main focus will be
cob, though we will touch on various other building techniques that
utilize the same materials, including adobe block, light straw-clay,
wattle and daub, and plasters. We will discuss how to find and choose
appropriate soil for construction, how to create various mixes, how to
attach wood to earthen walls, and how to use earthen materials to
build walls, sculpt niches, shelves, and furniture.

This is primarily a hands-on course, where we learn by doing. We will
be building a small structure from start to finish.  As a complement
to the hands-on portion of the course, we will include slide shows and
discussions of the theoretical aspects of natural building.  Subjects
include building design and siting, passive solar design, foundations
and drainage, earthen floors, appropriate roof design, and wiring and
plumbing for natural structures.

Instructor:  Sasha Rabin, Natural Builder and Teacher
Sasha Rabin has been practicing natural building as well as teaching
it since 2002, when she began her building career with an
apprenticeship at the Cob Cottage Company.  Since then she has taught
all over the US through the organizations that she co-founded, Seven
Generations Natural Builders and Vertical Clay, as well as
collaborated with other schools and organizations including The
Yestermorrow Design Build School, The Canelo Project, The Solar Living
Institute, Quail Springs Permaculture, as well as taught at the
Permaculture Research Institute in Jordan.   Although she enjoys
building, her true passions lie in the teaching and sharing natural
building with others.

Cost: $500

Student discount: $50 off

Register with a friend and get 10% off