[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Occupy the Farm FILM Santa Barbara April 7pm Pollack Theater Ocean Rd UCSB

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Apr 10 05:43:09 PDT 2015

Occupy the Farm FILM Santa Barbara April 7pm Pollack Theater Ocean Rd  UCSB  http://occupythefarmfilm.com

OCCUPY THE FARM tells the story of 200 urban farmers who walk onto a publicly owned research farm and plant it with two acres of crops in order to save the land from becoming a real-estate development.

The film captures an intense conflict over one piece of land. Compelling characters on both sides of the battle create a remarkable narrative in which community members employ an ingenious strategy to confront a powerful institution in the effort to preserve public land for urban farming.

From preparing the soil to police raids, from lawsuits to overflowing harvests, OCCUPY THE FARM reveals a determined community responding with a direct action to address a major social need: healthy food and access to public land.

“From the moment I arrived on the Gill Tract I knew that this was an important story and that the farmer’s strategy was new, unique and hopeful. I am fortunate that these historic events played out in front of our cameras over the weeks and months that we followed them. It was like catching lightening in a bottle.”
Todd Darling, Director

- See more at: http://occupythefarmfilm.com/#sthash.Ws91O9Ti.dpuf