[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Permaculture Action Day for LIB! Build a Cob Classroom at a local school!/San Antonio Elementary School Monterey County CA

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon May 18 08:59:21 PDT 2015

Permaculture Action Day for LIB! Build a Cob Classroom at a local school!

All are Welcome - Thursday, May 21st 9:00am-3:00pm
Check most recent details onwww.PermacultureAction.org
for arrival and participation.

Thursday, May 21st – Permaculture Action Day at San Antonio Elementary School as part of the pre-festival for Lightning in a Bottle

This year, at Lightning In A Bottle 2015,http://lightninginabottle.org/lineup/ we will be stepping into the path that The Polish Ambassador started to forge last year with his Pushing Through the Pavement Tour, and will be hosting our own Permaculture Action Days surrounding the festival. We will be constructing an Outdoor Sustainability Classroom at the closest neighboring elementary school and you’re invited!

The Outdoor Sustainability Classroom will consist of a circular cob bench, a natural slate chalkboard and a shaded arbor. It will provide a permanent space for teachers from the 1st-through-8th grade school to teach about ecology and gardening, bring nature connection into their lessons, and find solace in the shade outside, even in Lockwood’s 100° heat.

Architect, natural builder, and inventor Ray Cirino will be lending his cob-brick innovation to the design, a method of pressing cob into bricks that fit together and add structural integrity and vertical height. Cob is a non-toxic, organic building material made from clay, straw, sand, and water. It can often be made from on-site resources, is low-tech, easy to learn, and can be beautifully hand-sculpted with very little embodied energy needed to manufacture and transport.

Erik Hjermstad, innovator of San Diego’s natural building festival Cob Fest, and Ryan Rising, core organizer of TPA’s Permaculture Action Tour, will be bringing the micro-festival meets alternative systems-building and solution-implementation to the Permaculture Action Day to make it a celebration with music, educational workshops, and hands-in-the-mud for LIB participants, the school’s students, teachers, and the wider community around Lake San Antonio.

Come learn to build with cob, give back to the community that hosts LIB, take action to actually build the world we want to step into, and foster ecological education for the students of San Antonio Elementary. See you at the LIB Permaculture Action Day and visit the Permaculture Action Hub in the Village to get more involved!

This is the kind of bench we will be building as the base of the classroom.
We need people to help support us in laying down the foundation on Wed, May 20th.
If you are available and interested in building a day early, contact us on Facebook!