[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Let us be thankful for one another

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Tue Nov 22 14:22:52 PST 2016

SLO Permaculture Guild Newsletter – Thanksgiving 2016 (pasted below and
attached as a PDF)

Let’s be thankful for one another.

Despite all the crazy, unjust and horrible things going on nationally, or
even internationally or regionally, we have one another. Despite the
atrocities taking place at Standing Rock, tribes of people are coming
together to stand together. Despite the despair and disgust at what are
leaders are doing, we have one another as permaculture people. We are
grateful we have one another to practice permaculture together here along
the Central Coast of California.

Permaculture people are solution based people who realize that “We cannot
solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
(quote from Albert Einstein)

Or as Bill Mollison, one of the founding fathers of permaculture would say
.

“The tragic reality is that very few sustainable systems are designed or
applied by those who hold power, and the reason for this is obvious and
simple: to let people arrange their own food, energy and shelter is to lose
economic and political control over them. We should cease to look to power
structures, hierarchical systems, or governments to help us, and devise ways
to help ourselves.”

How can we do this you may ask? Every day we can practice the permaculture
ethics of Earth Care, People Care and Fair Share. Every day we make
lifestyle choices that can help to create the kind of world we want to live
in. Every day we can be repair the Earth. Every day we can honor others.
Every day we can share our resources of time, talent and tithing.

“There is one, and only one solution, and we have almost no time to try it.
We must turn all our resources to repairing the natural world, and train all
our young people to help. They want to; we need to give them this last
chance to create forests, soils, clean waters, clean energies, secure
communities, stable regions, and to know how to do it from hands-on
experience.” (quote from Bill Mollison)

Here are some local examples and local events to put your energy into
.

Healing Inner & Outer Gardens - Free Evening Talk on Wed., Nov. 30th at 7 pm
w/ Leif Skogberg, Master Gardener, Permaculture Teacher, & Holistic
Designer, Healer & Coach at Bliss Café

Appreculture Design Institute Presents  2016 Whole Life Design, California
Tour with Leif Skogberg giving a talk on Healing Inner and Outer Gardens
Dinner at 6pm at Bliss Café.

Leif’s Teachings offer a simple yet profound nature-based approach to
holistic living in both philosophy and application. He offers practical
tools, strategies & techniques for creating a more resilient, thriving &
sustainable world; from the inside out. Leif teaches Permaculture Design and
calls his unique system of inner and outer sustainability; Appreculture.
Think of it as “appreciation and culture” put together to restore all our
relations.

Appreculture is about creating a socially, ecologically and economically
appropriate culture of regenerative and sustainable growth, universal
gratitude for all of life on Earth and sincere compassion for all of Earthly
creation. A culture where people appreciate natural systems (minerals,
plants, animals and humans), global human diversity and the day-to-day
challenge of the human journey. The goal is to collaboratively design and
build a culture and society that is conscious, regenerative and life
affirming.

Come early to enjoy a delicious dinner at 6 pm and then explore insights of
the new Appreculture Design system, as well as transformational practices
for restoring land, community and the self on November 30th with guest
teacher, Leif Skogberg.

Website: http://www.leifskogberg.com/home

Our Global Family Village – workdays on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons 1pm
– 3pm  and community work day on Saturday, December 3rd 9am – 12noon.

One of our local permaculture projects is a demonstration garden called Our
Global Family Village located at City Farm. Please come to the land and help
create a place where we can model permaculture farm practices. This
“village” will become a place for families to picnic, school groups to have
field trips, students to learn & play, and all of us to gather as one
family. Here is a YouTube video taken at the project site with Teresa Tree
Lees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lksDqIOgrwY
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lksDqIOgrwY&feature=em-share_video_user>
&feature=em-share_video_user

We meet on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 1pm – 3pm. Other days can be
arranged as well. The way to get there is to see the “farm along the
freeway” on Highway 101 at Los Osos Valley Road and follow Calle Joaquin
Road north to the end of the cul-de-sac past the car dealerships. Take the
dirt road going straight (no longer take the side dirt road on the left) and
then follow the dirt road to where all the sheds are and park there by the
Central Coast Grown sign. Our Global Family Village is where the four flags
are blowing in the wind and the gathering center in the middle with green
canopies.

We need builders, gardeners, community organizers, crowd funders, media
connectors, teachers, mentors and general helpers. We are building an
outdoor kitchen and are in need of the following:

*	100 feet of 3/4 PVC,
*	the loan of a generator at least 2000 watts
*	an inverter for a car that can power 1500 watts
*	pallets, maybe 8 or 9 of them
*	money for deer fencing, irrigation and hardware items

You can donate on the Central Coast Grown website below. Please make sure
you indicate “Our Global Family” in the box that says “If this donation
should be restricted for a certain activity, please specify.”

http://centralcoastgrown.org/drupal/index.php?q=civicrm/contribute/transact
<http://centralcoastgrown.org/drupal/index.php?q=civicrm/contribute/transact
&reset=1&id=1> &reset=1&id=1

We are very grateful for recent donations such as $100 from Farm Supply,
irrigation work by Wendy Kim, volunteer work from Mark and Diane,
contributions of time and money from Teresa Lees and donations from
Institute for Sustainable Living.

JOIN COMMON VISION’S 2017 SPRING TOUR - PLANT SCHOOL ORCHARDS.

MAKE ART.  INSPIRE KIDS.

Common Vision is seeking educators, tree planters, and artists who want dig
in on creating school gardens, orchards, and living classrooms for kids in
California.  In Common Vision’s School Orchard Project, 18 crew members
travel to public schools to plant fruit tree orchards and create art with
thousands of kids.  Crew members provide essential pruning, irrigation
installation, art programming, and other tree care and education in 50-100
maturing school orchards. Working to grow delicious living classrooms by day
and camping together by night, crew members experience intensive fruit tree
education, a meaningful way to contribute to the school garden movement, and
often the cultivation of lifelong friendships.

CREW MEMBERS WILL:

*	Gain intensive education and experience with fruit tree cultivation
*	Work closely with a fun and dedicated team of change-makers
*	Educate California youth through planting trees and art workshops.
*	Travel in a bus run on Recycled Vegetable Oil and Solar Power
*	Have Room and board covered

People of color are encouraged to apply. We are seeking a cook and a bus
driver.

Limited number of stipends is available. Here is our schedule:

Jan 24-28: Orientation in Bay Area

Jan 28-Feb 4: San Diego Area

Feb 5-17: Los Angeles Area

Feb18-28: Santa Barbara, Ventura

Mar 1-13: Bay Area

Apply Here:  www.commonvision.org/volunteer

December 4th Tour Eco Conscious Aquaponics Farm in Santa Barbara County with
the Santa Barbara Food and Farm Adventures Meet Up Group

Eco Conscious Acquaponics (ECA) is a small farm operation using aquaponic
technologies to produce high efficiency food using a fraction of the water
that conventional agriculture uses. They currently provide food for a
variety of local restaurants and sell at our farmers markets. They will have
produce, seedlings and select fruit trees available for purchase including
Pomegranates, Figs, Goji berry, Dragon fruit and Aloes.
<http://www.ecoconsciousaquaponics.com/>
http://www.ecoconsciousaquaponics.com/ Cost is $6.00 for our tour guides;
RSVP at Meetup guarantees you a spot.

<https://www.meetup.com/Santa-Barbara-Food-and-Farm-Adventures/events/235487
318/>
https://www.meetup.com/Santa-Barbara-Food-and-Farm-Adventures/events/2354873
18/If you are not a member and are unable to RSVP, contact Gerri to arrange
payment. (805)705-8248 Supervised Children welcome; Children under 12 are
free.

Afterwards starting at 2:30 you can participate in a tasting of the Miracle
Fruit Berry which transforms sour tastes to sweet. You can google it and
read about it in many articles and Wikipedia. Sponsored by ECA, cost is
$20.00. Prepay for this special event at this link:

<http://www.ecoconsciousaquaponics.com/?product=dec-4th-miracle-berry-tastin
g>
http://www.ecoconsciousaquaponics.com/?product=dec-4th-miracle-berry-tasting

Greywater 101 class Wed Dec 7th, 7:00-8:30 PM, Watershed Resource Center

Hosted and led by Sweetwater Collaborative

This class will take place at the Watershed Resource Center,  2981 Cliff
Drive, Santa Barbara, 93109, at Hendry's (Arroyo Burro) Beach. The Watershed
Resource Center is the blue two-story building on the right of the main
parking lot at Hendry's Beach, as you face the ocean. It's about halfway to
the beach from the street. Come up the stairs and come on in. We encourage
you to arrive a few minutes early as sometimes it takes time to find parking
at Hendry's.

A PowerPoint will begin the class and questions are encouraged during the
presentation. We love to talk about this subject and have taught about,
designed and installed all kinds of projects, so we have a wealth of
knowledge to draw from. It's a casual yet informative learning environment.

This class includes playing with mock-up parts for a laundry to landscape
system, and considering individual questions about specific properties and
their unique characteristics and challenges.  Get the answers we don't have
time to go into in depth at our hands-on workshops.

Laundry to landscape installations will be highlighted although other
greywater possibilities will be discussed. A variety of options for design
and installation and financial incentives will also be shared. We will also
show some examples of branched drain systems.

Suggested donation to Sweetwater Collaborative of $10/person or $15/couple.
Please pay at the door by cash or check.

This class is sponsored in part by the City of Santa Barbara Water
Conservation Program.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/be438228aed7075dd2b02e737/images/0ab9a7b3-bb67
-4378-b665-d2070b5367b8.jpg

The laundry to landscape system starts at the washer with a three way valve,
connected to the washer discharge tube, the sewer and the greywater lines to
the landscape.

Warm Home, Efficient Home - A Santa Barbara Homeowner Workshop

Join us at the Watershed Resource Center to hear how the County of Santa
Barbara's emPower program is helping local homeowners make home energy
upgrades more affordable.

Find out how low cost financing, big utility incentives and qualified
contractors can improve not only your home's energy efficiency but also your
comfort, safety and indoor air quality.

emPower staff will be providing information on common home energy issues and
the resources offered by the program to help you make home energy upgrades
including:

*	Free site visit to evaluate your home home’s energy efficiency
*	Utility incentives of $1,000 to $6,500+
*	Low interest, unsecured financing as low as 3.9%
*	Trained and qualified contractors

This presentation is specifically for single family homeowners.

Pizza will be provided.  Please RSVP so we know how much to order.

December 6th, 2016 5:30 PM   through   7:00 PM
Watershed Resource Center
2981 Cliff Drive
at Arroyo Burro County Beach Park, also known as Hendry's Beach
Santa Barbara, CA 93109
Phone:  <tel:805-568-3566> 805-568-3566
Email:  <mailto:mhanson at co.santa-barbara.ca.us>
mhanson at co.santa-barbara.ca.us

NEW BOOK/The Local Food Revolution
How Humanity Will Feed Itself in Uncertain Times
Author: Michael Brownlee
http://www.northatlanticbooks.com/shop/the-local-food-revolution/

Demonstrating that humanity faces an imminent and prolonged global food
crisis, Michael Brownlee issues a clarion call and manifesto for a
revolutionary movement to localize the global food supply. He lays out a
practical guide for those who hope to navigate the challenging process of
shaping the local or regional food system, providing a roadmap for embarking
on the process of righting the profoundly unsustainable and already-failing
global industrialized food system. Written to inform, inspire, and empower
anyone—farmers or ranchers, community gardeners, aspiring food
entrepreneurs, supply chain venturers, commercial food buyers,
restaurateurs, investors, community food activists, non-profit agencies,
policy makers, or local government leaders—who hopes to be a catalyst for
change, this book provides a blueprint for economic action, with specific
suggestions that make the process more conscious and deliberate.

Brownlee, cofounder of the nonprofit Local Food Shift Group, maps out the
underlying process of food localization and outlines the route that
communities, regions, and foodsheds often follow in their efforts to take
control of food production and distribution. By sharing the strategies that
have proven successful, he charts a practical path forward while indicating
approaches that otherwise might be invisible and unexplored. Stories and
interviews illustrate how food localization is happening on the ground and
in the field. Essays and thought-pieces explore some of the challenging
ethical, moral, economic, and social dilemmas and thresholds that might
arise as the local food shift develops. For anyone who wants to understand,
in concrete terms, the unique challenges and extraordinary opportunities
that present themselves as we address one of the most urgent issues of our
time, The Local Food Revolution is an indispensable resource.

“Buckminster Fuller could have written the preface to The Local Food
Revolution: “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To
change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
A deep bow to Michael Brownlee, who is serving as a lead catalyst and
synthesizer of this new model. Join the emerging global awakening to beat
the clock of mass extinction.”

—John Steiner and Margo King, transpartisan/sacred activists