[Central Coast CA Permaculture] January 2017 Permaculture Newsletter

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Thu Jan 5 14:18:38 PST 2017

Greetings to you for the New Year 2017!

Let us build a strong permaculture community here along the Central Coast in
2017.

Building community is what we can do and must do for the resiliency and
social justice of our neighborhoods, our towns, our farms, our schools, our
natural environment and our indigenous cultures of the world! Permaculture
offers the solutions that we need in our world.

Permaculture employs systems thinking, looking at patterns, relationships
and flows, linking solutions together into synergistic strategies that work
with nature and fit local conditions, terrain, and cultures.

Permaculture ethics direct us to create abundance, share it fairly, and
limit overconsumption in order to benefit the whole. Healthy, just, truly
democratic communities are a potent antidote to climate change and well as
to social and political unrest. This is done through "people power."

Come be part of creating the kind of future we want!

Here are our January events:

(Our newsletter and Permaculture Programs for 2017 are attached along with
other flyers.)

January 24 (Tuesday) - SLO Permaculture Guild Quarterly Program

6pm at SLO Guild Hall 2880 South Broad St.

Soil Building and Community Building with Sean Fennel of Sunburst Sanctuary

Sean and others at the Sunburst Sanctuary have a team approach to creating
soil, creating gardens, creating community and creating "heaven here on
earth." Come to see a beautiful slideshow of their projects and intentions.
We will also discuss permaculture projects along the Central Coast.

January 28 (Sat) - Chinese New Year Celebration and Planting Party at Our
Global Family Farm

10am - 12noon at City Farm 1221 Calle Joaquin Road in SLO.

Planting Asian vegetables, chopping down cover crops and other family fun!

We are blessed to have a plot of land to hold in common and to create a
place for families to come to visit a permaculture demo garden at SLO City
Farm. We recently have been blessed by the rains that have helped to sprout
up cover crops seeds that have been donated by Raven Venturelli. We also
received some irrigation supplies from Farm Supply and assistance from Wendy
Kim to install the irrigation. Mark Dragna and his wife Diane are helping to
build an outdoor kitchen area. The Institute for Sustainable Living has
given us funds to cover our rent and property tax for the next three years
and Sunburst Sanctuary has kindly donated fence supplies for Our Global
Family Farm project.

Come be part of this exciting community building project!

Other community events:

January 10th - Farmer & Buyer Mixer at Farm Supply from 2pm - 4pm. See
attached flyer!

January 11th - Hope's Village meeting 10:00am at SLO Salvation Army, 815
Islay St, San Luis Obispo

If you want to get involved please contact Becky Jorgeson at
beckyjorgeson at yahoo.com.

January 14 - Food and Farm Adventures in Santa Barbara  On Saturday January
14, we will meet at 11:00 am at The Honey B Cafe at 602 Santa Barbara Street
(on the rooftop at Antioch University).The Honey B is a sweet restaurant
with luscious local food and indoor/outdoor seating.  We will meet the owner
Katie and enjoy a creative salad. Cost is $8.00 which will include a
Vegetarian meal and tea or coffee (Chicken  available for additional cost).
Check out her website to learn more:  http://www.thehoneybkitchen.com/

We will meet at 11:00 giving you the option to shop at the Farmers Market.
There will be time to connect with each other and share ideas and goals for
2017.

January 15th - Legacy of Martin Luther King at 3pm at the First Presbyterian
Church in SLO

                AND "Standing SLO" - Standing Rock Movement Comes Home at
4pm - 8pm at Guild Hall

See attached Permaculture Guild January 2017 newsletter for more information

January 21 - Women's March at 10am in Mitchell Park, SLO

The Women's March on Washington, January 21, is a national movement standing
for human rights, civil liberties, diversity, and compassion for our shared
humanity. The Women's March SLO marches in solidarity. Guest speakers, 1
mile march, local organizations, music and more, 10am in Mitchell Park, SLO.

Rainwater Harvesting 101 class, Monday, January 23 from 6:00-7:30 PM,
Watershed Resource Center
<http://sweetwatercollaborative.us14.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=be438228
aed7075dd2b02e737&id=011ab47b96&e=2728d18722>

This class will take place at the Watershed Resource Center,  2981 Cliff
Drive, Santa Barbara, 93109, at Hendry's (Arroyo Burro) Beach.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS CLASS STARTS AT 6:00 and ends at 7:30 PM.

A PowerPoint will begin the class and questions are encouraged during the
presentation. We love to talk about this subject and have taught about,
designed and installed all kinds of projects, so we have a wealth of
knowledge to draw from. It's a casual yet informative learning environment.
Suggested donation to Sweetwater Collaborative of $10/person or $15/couple.
Please pay at the door by cash or check. This class is sponsored in part by
the City of Santa Barbara Water Conservation Program.

Greywater 101 class Thurs Jan 26 from 6:00-7:30 PM, Watershed Resource
Center
<http://sweetwatercollaborative.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=be438228a
ed7075dd2b02e737&id=eaf20a5876&e=2728d18722>
Class will take place at the Watershed Resource Center, 2981 Cliff Drive,
Santa Barbara, 93109, at Hendry's (Arroyo Burro) Beach.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS CLASS STARTS AT 6:00 and ends at 7:30 PM.

A PowerPoint will begin the class and questions are encouraged during the
presentation. We love to talk about this subject and have taught about,
designed and installed all kinds of projects, so we have a wealth of
knowledge to draw from. It's a casual yet informative learning environment.
Yes, this is the same description as our RWH 101 class, and it's true for
both of them!

Suggested donation to Sweetwater Collaborative of $10/person or $15/couple.
Please pay at the door by cash or check. This class is sponsored in part by
the City of Santa Barbara Water Conservation Program.

Sunday, January 29, 2017 - Santa Barbara Community Seed Swap
11:00 AM Santa Barbara Public Library - Faulkner Gallery
40 East Anapamu Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Enjoy this special Community event hosted by the Santa Barbara Permaculture
Network. This annual event is for backyard gardeners, plant lovers and
farmers who are interested in seed saving. Come learn from each other about
our soil and how to best care for it and grow food. Speakers will present
their wisdom throughout the day with special honor to Local Hero Judy Sims
for her passion with starting and promoting school gardens. Music too!
Children welcome. Bring seeds and/or bags to take free seeds home.

Slow Money SLO Winter Gathering

February 7, 2017, 6:00 - 8:00 pm @ SLO Guild (2880 Broad St)

We look forward to sharing Slow Money SLO plans for 2017, hearing from great
local food entrepreneurs, and sampling their products. Also, we will be
teaching people how to make fruit leather at home - use all that left over
and gleaned fruit for long-lasting snacks!

Featured Entrepreneurs:
Karli from Best Ever Salsa (Paso Robles)
Chris from Tiber Canyon Olive Oil (Arroyo Grande)
Alisha from Rock Front Ranch Jujube's (similar to dates) (Santa Maria)

Online Permaculture Community with Geoff Lawton - "Permaculture Circle"

For quite some time, I've wanted to help build a little "permaculture
village" online.

I envisioned a place where anyone and everyone with an interest in
permaculture - young, old, beginner, experienced - could enter, lose
themselves in a sea of permaculture resources, and engage with others who
share a similar passion.

A place that could serve as a modest "haven" online, away from the pessimism
and negativity encroaching around us; one that would nurture our best
selves, and help us actualize the things promised by permaculture.

A place whose only price of admission is curiosity, civility, and compassion
for each other and the earth entrusted to us.

Thousands of like-minded, kind-hearted people who can learn from one
another, push and pull one another forward, and connect about their
projects.

The discussions are powered by one of the best commenting systems anywhere
online, and a team of PDC grads will be watching as these comments and
questions come in, and jump in to offer their perspectives and advice where
appropriate.

Click here to get started:

http://start.geofflawtononline.com/permaculturecircle/?inf_contact_key=c429c
a950eb5bf54a18221a762dcef324b2aca318ee41b3df9ba7451f0b40376

Here's to more community in 2017!

Teresa Lees