[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Quail Springs Permaculture Workshops

Quail Springs Permaculture info at quailsprings.org
Tue Jan 17 12:29:15 PST 2017

SONGS & STORIES
A WILD SERIES SPRING
FESTIVAL & BENEFIT
March 17 – 19
http://www.quailsprings.org/programs/wild-series/songs-stories/

Quail Springs is deeply honored to welcome some of our most treasured
storytellers, wisdom keepers and musicians for a magical feast of story
and song under the stars of Cuyama. Come and celebrate the beautiful
seeds of culture that bring us together as we gather by the fire to
listen, remember, learn and sing. Held by the enchantment of the high
desert, our esteemed elders, teachers and song keepers will share
beloved stories and songs from a range of world traditions. Join the
Quail Springs Village and our dear community for this rare and
meaningful Wild Series Spring Festival.

Proceeds from this event will go to our Seeds for the Next Generation
capital campaign. Please endeavor to pay as much as you are able to
support the beautiful work of Quail Springs to continue.

THE ART OF HIDE TANNING
March 23 – 26
http://www.quailsprings.org/programs/wild-series/hide-tanning/

Join us for a four day immersion into the traditional art of making
leather by hand. In this intimate and experiential class, students will
tan one deer or goat buckskin from start to finish, learn to make
rawhide, and participate in a fur tanning demonstration.

The art of hide tanning is a cross-cultural human legacy, one with an
ancient heritage that spans across continents and lineages. Besides full
hands-on experience, we will spend time discussing history, methodology
and various cultural approaches. Students will leave with an
understanding of how to bring to life beautiful hand-tanned leather and
fur in their own small home tanning set-ups.

Hide tanning is a physically demanding craft, so be prepared for four
full days of very active and fun learning! We are going to learn as much
as possible and our days will be packed with richness. No experience is
necessary!

All of the hides used this class only come from reliable and sustainably
harvested sources – either from California small farms, or from legally
hunted deer

INTRODUCTION
TO COB & NATURAL BUILDING
April 10 – 15, 2017
http://www.quailsprings.org/programs/natural-building/cob-intro/

Cob building combines clay sediment, sand, fiber, and water, and is hand
sculpted to form walls, benches, ovens, and fireplaces. Cob building
makes use of readily available, affordable, non-toxic materials to build
beautiful, organic structures.

The course is appropriate for both first-time builders and for
professionals in the building trade who are interested in natural
materials. In this cob workshop, we focus on the characteristics of the
natural materials most commonly used in construction: clay soil, sand,
and fibers. Our main focus will be cob, though we will touch on various
other building techniques that utilize the same materials, including
adobe block, light straw-clay, wattle and daub, and plasters. We will
discuss how to find and choose appropriate soil for construction, how to
create various mixes, how to attach wood to earthen walls, and how to
use earthen materials to build walls, sculpt niches, shelves, and furniture.

This course is primarily a hands on course, where we learn by doing. We
will be building a small structure from start to finish. As a complement
to the hands-on portion of the course, we will include slide shows and
discussions of the theoretical aspects of natural building. Subjects
include building design and siting, passive solar design, foundations
and drainage, earthen floors, appropriate roof design, and wiring and
plumbing for natural structures.

RESILIENCE DESIGN TRAINING:
A PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
MAY 21 – JUNE 4, 2017
For more info: http://www.quailsprings.org/programs/permaculture/pdcid

This course equips people working in international development and
grassroots projects with the perspectives and skills needed to engage
with communities in partnership to incorporate elements into the design
of communities, smallholder farms and land with household agricultural
production that are holistic, appropriate, strategic, effective,
diverse, as well as ecologically and economically sound. This course
includes the 72-hr Permaculture Design Certification through the
Permaculture Research Institute.

What is Permaculture?
Permaculture is a design science utilizing an innovative
systems-approach to consciously design landscapes, human settlements and
smallholder farming systems that integrate functional diversity and
biological fertility by mimicking natural eco-systems. Diverse and
fertile systems act resilient in the face of shocks.

Who is this course for?
This course is designed for people who work with Non-Government
Organizations (NGO’s), Government Organizations, or are Community
Organizers. The teaching is directly relevant for international
development practitioners, including the technical teams from agency
Headquarters and field teams engaged in implementation.