[Central Coast CA Permaculture] UPDATE/2017'Santa Barbara Seed Swap/Volunteer/ Speaker Schedule/What to Bring...

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri Jan 27 20:31:30 PST 2017

9th Annual Santa Barbara Community Seed Swap

Sunday, January 29, 2017

 11-3pm, Free

Santa Barbara Public Library, Faulkner Gallery

Start plants from seeds.jpg

A celebration to bring seeds & people together

The seed swap is just around the corner, we hope you can join us!

Seed swapping is about engaging your community while sharing seeds with
friends & neighbors and exchanging knowledge & ideas.  And it makes you
happy! chases the blues away.

This year we are a bit low on seed donations from donor seed companies, so
please bring lots of seeds- more important than ever to bring what you have
grown out from your gardens in previous years to share.  This is the real
intention of seed swaps!

And we are always grateful for volunteers.  Especially needed this time are
time keepers and assistants for the speakers; and those willing to help load
and unload for exhibitors at beginning and end of day.  See below for a more
ways to help.

Don't forget  to bring markers, pens, pencils, bags, envelopes, seed saving
containers (let's move away from plastic when possible, zero waste our goal)
and mark all your seed donations with as much information as possible; good
seed saving etiquette suggests including, plant name (common & scientific),
where grown, date collected, etc.  Most seeds are best if no more than 3
years old.

We would love current seed catalogs to put on our community information
table if you have some to share.

Every year we honor a Local Food Hero, this year the honor goes to Judy
Sims.  As many have worked with Judy through the years on a vast array of
projects, we invite you to bring photos & memories to share in a special
memory book we will have available for that purpose.  Judy will be honored
between 12:30 & 1pm.

We will also take a moment to remember Bruce Van Dyke who generously shared
his time and immense knowledge with expert pruning demonstrations at almost
all the past seed swaps.  What a blessing he was to our community.

Marshall Chrostowski of Pacifica Farms, a past Local Food Hero and exemplary
seedman, has recently moved away and unfortunately won't be with us this
year, but  he has generously bequeathed seeds from his collection for this
year's Seed Swap, thank you Marshall .

We always have great speakers & children's activities, check out this year's
lineup:

Music Corner - Music by Glendessary Jam - 1-2:30pm - Faulkner Gallery -Main

Children Seed Activities - Location: Faulkner Gallery - West - 11:30 - 2pm

v  1:30 - 1:50pm - Getting the Garden back into Kindergarten, a talk with
Matt Vogel of Trinity Gardens

Seed Swap Speaker Schedule - Location: Faulkner Gallery - East - 11:30 - 3pm
(all times subject to change)

v  11:30 - 11:50  Native Bees - Kid Friendly - No Stings  with Joan Calder,
Master Gardener

v  Noon - 12:20  Seed Saving 101, with Oscar Carmona of Healing Grounds
Nursery

v  12:30 - 12:50  Soil Biology with Bill Palmisano

v  1 - 1:20pm-  Valuing the Maya Forest as a Garden, with Anabel Ford of El
Pilar & Meso American Research Center

v  1:30 - 1:50 -  Leave Your Carbon Footprint in the Garden, with  Michael
Whitman of Blue Sky Biochar

v  2 - 2:20 -  Alternative Ways, Better Solutions with Matthew Dudley

v  2:30 - 3pm - Ancient Seeds & Grains-Old World Superfoods/! with Larry
Kandarian of Kandarian Farms

Volunteer jobs:

Some of the jobs we could use help with (just reply to this email if you can
help):

v  SET UP, we only have a half hour to set up, tables, chairs, signage; it's
fast half hour (set-up time starts at 10:30 am, must be ready for public by
11am)

v  help organizations with exhibit tables unload their cars from the curb

v  timekeepers & assistants for the talks (make intros, etc)

v  if you have plant knowledge, assist with questions in the "Seed Island"
in the middle of the room

v  Keep seed trays in Seed Island filled & tidy

v  Volunteer PHOTOGRAPHER to document the day in photos

v  Spanish Translations - if exhibitors need assistance with translations
for their displays

v  BREAK DOWN between 2:45 & 3pm, we must be out of the library very quick,
chairs put away, vacuum carpet, help exhibitors break down & carry out

And big news for next year, since the library has become increasingly
expensive and no longer affordable, and we continue to grow in size, we will
be moving the Santa Barbara Annual Community Seed Swap to Trinity Gardens,
with both indoor and outdoor space available.  Trinity Gardens & Santa
Barbara Permaculture Network will be the major co-hosts for the event.

Thanks to Trinity Garden for always supporting with seeds and all the
children's activities through the years. Stay tuned for more information
next year.  In the meantime, check out Trinity Gardens ongoing events:
http://www.trinitygardenssb.org/

9th Annual Santa Barbara Community Seed Swap

Sunday, January 29, 2017

 11-3pm, Free

Santa Barbara Public Library, Faulkner Gallery

A celebration to bring seeds & people together

[]

A Community program hosted by Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Non-profit
www.sbpermaculture.org <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>

Co-Sponsors: Island Seed & Feed, Botanical Interest Seeds, Santa Barbara
Seed Savers Guild,

Healing Grounds Biodynamic Nursery, & Santa Barbara Certified Farmers Market

Event Facebook page (English & Spanish):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/632203483488117/
 <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>
More Info: Margie at sbpermaculture.org, (805) 962-2571

2017 Local Real Food Hero Award

Once again we will be honoring a Local Real Food Hero at the Seed Swap.
This year the award goes to Judy Sims, whose contribution to local food
systems is at the very beginning, with the child! An elementary school
teacher who taught for many years at Monte Vista school, Judy used her
classroom to teach kids about the environment through gardens. A longtime
community volunteer & activist, Judy has been a key participant in many
local garden organizations and projects. Read more..
http://www.sbpermaculture.org/events.html

 <https://www.facebook.com/groups/632203483488117/>

Seeds, they are our past, they are our future.  In past times, they were
skillfully adapted to climate and location.

Come join us as we encourage our community to save and grow out seed
specific to our own climate and place,

while honoring our ancestors gift & legacy.

-end-