[Central Coast CA Permaculture] February - time to show some love

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Mon Feb 6 11:11:56 PST 2017

Hello Community!

Love is in the air! We love our planet and all its beauty and ecosystems. We
love ALL THE PEOPLE on this planet. We love our oceans and want to protect
them. We love having farmlands in our midst.

We love our neighborhoods and want to build a vibrant, sustainable community
where we live.

So, let's show some love to these local projects and events..

February 6 - Farmer's Guild meeting at the SLO Guild Hall at 7pm tonight

Potluck style, so bring something tasty!

Come hangout and converse with fellow farmers and local food advocates.

We will be discussing our Farm to Buyer Mixer, and begin planning our next
big event!

February 7 - County Board of Sups meeting includes an agenda item that
unbelievably shows they want to OPPOSE the Chumash Heritage National Marine
Sanctuary. Next
<http://agenda.slocounty.ca.gov/agenda/sanluisobispo/752/QWdlbmRh/6/n/73420.
doc> Tuesday, February 7, beginning at 9:00 a.m. at the SLO Board of
Supervisors chambers,  the San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors will
vote on whether they will oppose the creation of the proposed
<https://chumashsanctuary.com/> Chumash Heritage National Marine Sanctuary.
This is an unprecedented move by the Board of Supervisors - to actually want
to oppose coastal protections instead of support them!  The support for this
sanctuary was already approved by prior boards

Please show up to voice your public support to designate the marine
sanctuary. See the attached talking points. Sign the petition here:
https://chumashsanctuary.com/

February 7 - SLOW Money SLO meeting

6pm - 8pm at the SLO Guild Hall

We look forward to sharing Slow Money SLO plans for 2017, hearing from great
local food entrepreneurs, and sampling their products. Also, we will be
teaching people how to make fruit leather at home - use all that left over
and gleaned fruit for long-lasting snacks!

Featured Entrepreneurs to speak:
Karli from Best Ever Salsa (Paso Robles)
Chris from Tiber Canyon Olive Oil (Arroyo Grande)
Alisha from Rock Front Ranch Jujube's (similar to dates) (Santa Maria)

February 18 - Our Global Family Day at our farm plot at City Farm. 1221
Calle Joaquin Road, SLO

10am - 12noon - Planting Chinese vegetables and having fun on the land. Come
enjoy the land together in the morning and then go to the Scion Exchange in
the afternoon!

February 18 - CA Rare Fruit Growers Scion Exchange

Starting at 1 p.m. at Cal Poly, the Crops Unit. Free admission, open to the
public...  No reservations needed, free parking too!! Please come join the
fun and shake hands with others who love to graft or eat fresh fruit!!

February 17-19 (Fri-Sun) San Luis Obispo Botanical Garden

Useful Plants, Mushrooms, & Seaweeds of San Luis Obispo County
Various class hours/fees (see link for details).

<http://bluewindbmc.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=64e69b4f3adc5192cb194
643f&id=6e9315f602&e=230800b45e> http://slobg.org/useful-plants/

February 28 - Fundraiser for City Farm - showing of movie "Gaining Ground"

6pm at the SLO Guild Hall - Silent Auction, Food & Drink, Local Speakers.
See attached flyer

Get Tickets at: @CCGmovienight.brownpapertickets.com

First Annual SLO Village Building Convergence (SLO VBC 2017)

The SLO VBC is a 4 day convergence consisting of neighborhood-based urban
permaculture (organic agriculture & holistic community building) projects by
day, and evening festivities that showcase local talent in the arts, and
local projects and people who are helping to improve our ecological and
societal infrastructure.

Each day of the convergence, neighbors and visiting friends will come
together to create community spaces that feature public art, permaculture
gardens, and natural building projects. Participation in these daytime
events are free for everyone!

Show some love and Get Involved!

Would you like to offer your permaculture skills, a workshop,
live/electronic music, live painting, yoga, or anything else to this
convergence? Contact us at  <mailto:solutionaryproductions at gmail.com>
solutionaryproductions at gmail.com

<http://BloomingBiodiversity.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d86a6d60323
e9242f09e50303&id=61d13fa081&e=716be48551> Help actualize this dream by
donating to our
Crowdfunding Campaign: https://igg.me/at/O8q9qAuzL6c

Show some love to the Oceti Camp that are holding the line at Standing Rock:

We still need your help to keep everyone in camp safe and warm.

In light of the decision to move camp to higher ground, and in respect for
the

call to clear Oceti Oyate for the safety of the Water Protectors here, we
are asking

for the following kinds of help: Winter-Ready Vehicles, Sturdy Trucks &
Trailers, Chains and Gas-Line Antifreeze
http://www.ocetisakowincamp.org/donate

And also show some love to the Water Protectors Legal Collective

Water Protector Legal Collective (WPLC) is the on-the-ground legal team for
the ceremonial resistance camps at Standing Rock, North Dakota. We maintain
a presence on-site and provide legal advocacy, jail and court support,
criminal defense, and civil and human rights protection to the Native
peoples and their allies gathered there.  <https://waterprotectorlegal.org/>
https://waterprotectorlegal.org/

Shower some love for the homeless by donating to Hopes Village to install
public showers:

Show some love to yourself and attend Workshops at Quail Springs, Sunburst
Sanctuary or go to the Acorn Gathering

The Acorn Gathering is an opportunity to take a break from your busy life
and come camp in a village-like setting amongst people from all walks of
life and ages... You can re-learn primitive and earth-based skills from
instructors that dedicate their lives to their work, or touch up on skills
you may already have! Come meet new people from up and down the west coast
and connect with our local community, building relationships that last a
lifetime.

March 28-April 2nd, 2017

Central Coast of CA, just north of Santa Barbara

GO TO  <http://www.acorngathering.com/> WWW.ACORNGATHERING.COM to REGISTER!
Registration is open until sold out! Prices are on our website. Let us know
if you have any questions!

Quail Springs Workshops:

SONGS & STORIES - A WILD SERIES SPRING FESTIVAL & BENEFIT
March 17 - 19
http://www.quailsprings.org/programs/wild-series/songs-stories/

Quail Springs is deeply honored to welcome some of our most treasured
storytellers, wisdom keepers and musicians for a magical feast of story and
song under the stars of Cuyama. Come and celebrate the beautiful seeds of
culture that bring us together as we gather by the fire to listen, remember,
learn and sing. Held by the enchantment of the high desert, our esteemed
elders, teachers and song keepers will share beloved stories and songs from
a range of world traditions. Join the Quail Springs Village and our dear
community for this rare and meaningful Wild Series Spring Festival.

Proceeds from this event will go to our Seeds for the Next Generation
capital campaign. Please endeavor to pay as much as you are able to support
the beautiful work of Quail Springs to continue.

THE ART OF HIDE TANNING
March 23 - 26
http://www.quailsprings.org/programs/wild-series/hide-tanning/

Join us for a four day immersion into the traditional art of making leather
by hand. In this intimate and experiential class, students will tan one deer
or goat buckskin from start to finish, learn to make rawhide, and
participate in a fur tanning demonstration.

The art of hide tanning is a cross-cultural human legacy, one with an
ancient heritage that spans across continents and lineages. Besides full
hands-on experience, we will spend time discussing history, methodology and
various cultural approaches. Students will leave with an understanding of
how to bring to life beautiful hand-tanned leather and fur in their own
small home tanning set-ups.

Hide tanning is a physically demanding craft, so be prepared for four full
days of very active and fun learning! We are going to learn as much as
possible and our days will be packed with richness. No experience is
necessary!

All of the hides used this class only come from reliable and sustainably
harvested sources - either from California small farms, or from legally
hunted deer

INTRODUCTION TO COB & NATURAL BUILDING
April 10 - 15, 2017
http://www.quailsprings.org/programs/natural-building/cob-intro/

Cob building combines clay sediment, sand, fiber, and water, and is hand
sculpted to form walls, benches, ovens, and fireplaces. Cob building makes
use of readily available, affordable, non-toxic materials to build
beautiful, organic structures.

The course is appropriate for both first-time builders and for professionals
in the building trade who are interested in natural materials. In this cob
workshop, we focus on the characteristics of the natural materials most
commonly used in construction: clay soil, sand, and fibers. Our main focus
will be cob, though we will touch on various other building techniques that
utilize the same materials, including adobe block, light straw-clay, wattle
and daub, and plasters. We will discuss how to find and choose appropriate
soil for construction, how to create various mixes, how to attach wood to
earthen walls, and how to use earthen materials to build walls, sculpt
niches, shelves, and furniture.

This course is primarily a hands on course, where we learn by doing. We will
be building a small structure from start to finish. As a complement to the
hands-on portion of the course, we will include slide shows and discussions
of the theoretical aspects of natural building. Subjects include building
design and siting, passive solar design, foundations and drainage, earthen
floors, appropriate roof design, and wiring and plumbing for natural
structures.

RESILIENCE DESIGN TRAINING:
A PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
MAY 21 - JUNE 4, 2017
For more info: http://www.quailsprings.org/programs/permaculture/pdcid

This course equips people working in international development and
grassroots projects with the perspectives and skills needed to engage with
communities in partnership to incorporate elements into the design of
communities, smallholder farms and land with household agricultural
production that are holistic, appropriate, strategic, effective, diverse, as
well as ecologically and economically sound. This course includes the 72-hr
Permaculture Design Certification through the Permaculture Research
Institute.

What is Permaculture?
Permaculture is a design science utilizing an innovative systems-approach to
consciously design landscapes, human settlements and smallholder farming
systems that integrate functional diversity and biological fertility by
mimicking natural eco-systems. Diverse and fertile systems act resilient in
the face of shocks.

Who is this course for?
This course is designed for people who work with Non-Government
Organizations (NGO's), Government Organizations, or are Community
Organizers. The teaching is directly relevant for international development
practitioners, including the technical teams from agency Headquarters and
field teams engaged in implementation.

Celebrate Life Retreat at Sunburst Sanctuary
Featuring: Hands On Permaculture

May 26 - 28, 2017

Reconnect with yourself, with Spirit, and with our sacred Earth. Enjoy
heartfelt camaraderie, yoga, meditation, music, and delicious meals amidst
pristine natural beauty.

 <http://sunburst.org/upcoming/img_9138/> Sean Fennell

Special Saturday session: Integrate inner and outer spiritual practice with
hands-on permaculture projects.

With Sean Fennell

http://sunburst.org/upcoming/