[Central Coast CA Permaculture] permaculture updates for February 2017

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Sun Feb 12 13:57:49 PST 2017

Hello Everyone,

There are several additional events and updates to share with all of you.

February 18 at Our Global Family Village

First one is that we've got so much rain lately that the City Farm is
flooded so we won't be able to join together on the land on Saturday
February 18th. We will be there on March 18th though with the Love SLO
folks, and you can be one of those lovely people who help get the farm
beautified for the spring.

February 18th - Scion Exchange and Grafting Clinic with the CA Rare Fruit
Growers

YOU are invited to our CRFG meeting... the biggest event of the year for our
chapter.

It is the annual Scion Exchange and Grafting Clinic... Saturday,  Feb.
18th...starting at 1 p.m. at Cal Poly, the Crops Unit. Free admission, open
to the public...  No reservations needed, free parking too!! Please come
join the fun and shake hands with others who love to graft or eat fresh
fruit

February 25 - Seed Savers Exchange 1pm - 3pm at Meadow Park

Our first 2017 Seedsaving Workshop is Saturday February 25 from 1-3pm at
Meadow Park Meeting Room in SLO.  Learn the basics of seedsaving, play
around with organic open-pollinated seeds, join in a network of skilled
seedsavers, and support SLO Seed Exchange's ongoing educational
collaborations in our community.  Every 4th Saturday of the month from 1-3pm
- Hope to see you there!! - Elizabeth Johnson stteresa at kcbx.net

February 25 & 26 - Storytelling with Jon Young

Jon Young is coming to town this month as part of his 512 Story Project.
Jon is a master storyteller, and the gatherer of the mentoring model used at
Outside Now.  If you haven't heard his stories, this is a must!

For more information about the event,

https://www.facebook.com/events/211109769355387/

For more information about Jon Young's 512 Story Project,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/673303251/512-project-cultural-elements
-with-jon-young/posts

Volunteer at School Gardens with UCCE Garden Nutrition Extenders

We are pleased to announce the second cohort of training for the University
of California Garden Nutrition Extenders.  On Thursday, February 16th we
will host a lunch at noon in the Seven Sisters Garden at UC Cooperative
Extension, San Luis Obispo to introduce our program and provide detailed
information for those who are interested in becoming a UC GNE.

Please phone Lisa at 805-781-4188 or email lmharrah at ucanr.edu if you are
attending our information session.  If you are unable to attend, please call
or email for more information about the training.

The 10 week training begins on Tues., February 28, 2017.  Sessions are every
Tuesday from 10-1 pm at UCCE Auditorium, 2156 Sierra Way, SLO  93401. If you
are ready to apply, please click the link below to complete the application.
Flyer is attached. http://ucanr.edu/survey/survey.cfm?surveynumber=19520

UCCE also has a series of spring classes with the Master Food Preservers.
Flyer is attached.

(Note: One Cool Earth is also looking for volunteers for school gardens.

http://www.onecoolearth.org/school-gardens.html )

February 28 Gaining Ground Movie fundraiser for City Farm at SLO Guild Hall
at 6pm

Join us for a fun-filled and inspiring evening as we celebrate local food
and farmers!

Proceeds from the event will go toward building and maintaining
horticultural education programs that support at-risk and in-need youth
within our community at City Farm. We hope to see you there! If you are
unable to join us but would like to contribute to our cause, consider making
a donation here: DONATE
<http://centralcoastgrown.org/drupal/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.ph
p?u=1113&qid=44724>

Watch the Trailer: Gaining Ground Trailer
<http://centralcoastgrown.org/drupal/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.ph
p?u=1114&qid=44724>

Purchase Tickets: CCG Movie Night Tickets
<http://centralcoastgrown.org/drupal/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.ph
p?u=1115&qid=44724>

Website: http://centralcoastgrown.org/drupal/index.phpq=civicrm/mailing/view
<http://centralcoastgrown.org/drupal/index.phpq=civicrm/mailing/view&reset=1
&id=133> &reset=1&id=133

March 18th  9am-12noon -  Love SLO at City Farm & Our Global Family Village

Be a farmer for a day and help us get the farm ready for warm season crop
planting. Tasks range from weeding, digging, planting, building and overall
beautifying of the multi-acre space that is City Farm. If you like to be
outside and hands-on, this is the project for you!

http://loveourcitiesprojects.com/projects/san-luis-obispo/city-farm-spring-b
eautification

March 30th  - April 2nd  - SLO Village Building Convergence

Dear Community,

Help us actualize San Luis Obispo's 1st Annual Village Building Convergence!

<http://BloomingBiodiversity.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d86a6d60323
e9242f09e50303&id=ce3fc1cb02&e=716be48551> Our Crowdfunding Campaign:
https://igg.me/at/O8q9qAuzL6c

In light of this inauguration, there's no time more critical than now to
join together in community to build the village! So with deep gratitude, we
present to you: San Luis Obispo's 1st Annual Village Building Convergence
(SLO VBC), co-organized by Blooming Biodiversity Permaculture Tours, City
Repair SLO, and the SLO Permaculture Guild! To make this happen, we need the
village to come together and support our campaign!

Please share this campaign, contribute what you can, and mark your calendars
for the SLO VBC!

San Luis Obispo's 1st Annual Village Building Convergence (SLO VBC) is
co-organized by Blooming Biodiversity Permaculture Tours, City Repair SLO,
and the SLO Permaculture Guild!

Get ready for a phenomenal all-ages community building convergence filled
with neighborhood-improving gardening and natural building projects, live
music, street murals, and so much more!

The SLO VBC is a 4 day convergence consisting of neighborhood-based urban
permaculture (organic agriculture & holistic community building) projects by
day, and evening festivities that showcase local talent in the arts, and
local projects and people who are helping to improve our ecological and
societal infrastructure.

By Donating to this Campaign, you are helping to build a more sustainable,
regenerative, and resilient San Luis Obispo, where neighbors know each
other, people help each other, and the neighborhoods are beautified and
safe. This project branches from the Portland Village Building Convergence,
which began 17 years ago, and has spread to other cities such as Santa
Barbara, Sebastopol, Olympia, and Nevada City. Portland has completely
transformed it's infrastructure, making it one of the most vibrant,
creative, and safe cities in the world. San Luis Obispo is already a
beautiful city, and has this potential to further beautify and harmonize.
The time is ripe for us to participate in the co-creation of a thriving SLO.

Each day of the convergence, neighbors and visiting friends will come
together to create community spaces that feature public art, permaculture
gardens, and natural building projects. Participation in these daytime
events are free for everyone!

This is a process we call "place-making," turning physical "spaces" into
community gathering "places." In these beautiful places, the community is
empowered to share their gifts, and to laugh, talk and create. These
transformed neighborhoods can include features such as: street murals,
community gardens, little-free-libraries, free poetry stands, community
event and message boards, outdoor tea/coffee station, cob benches, safe
children's play areas, and other creative projects envisioned by neighbors.

In the evening, we come together for an inspiring conference, community
gathering, and incredible music in the style of a mini-festival. These
evenings begin with a community dinner at 6pm, workshops at 7pm and music at
8pm. The tickets for these evening events are affordable and help to support
our place-making and community-building service work.

The SLO City Repair mission statement: "To recreate our village centers and
reconnect with our neighbors. To create neighborhood groups whose mission is
to improve the "Health and Happiness" of the neighborhood. To inspire our
humanity by creating living art in our streets and reclaiming our commons."
-Roberto Monge

<http://BloomingBiodiversity.us13.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d86a6d60323
e9242f09e50303&id=2954cebe3d&e=716be48551> Our Crowdfunding Campaign:
https://igg.me/at/O8q9qAuzL6c

All funds will go directly towards:

*	Materials for building Urban Community Gardens and Herb Spirals
($600)
*	Materials for painting street murals ($1,000)
*	Materials for building Little-Free-Libraries, Free Poetry Stands and
Community Event/Message Boards ($500)
*	Special Event Permits and Street-Closure Block Party Permits &
Materials ($900 for 3 sites)
*	Flying in Mark Lakeman, the founder of City Repair and the Village
Building Convergence, and his team (funds allowing) from Portland, to
present and co-facilitate this convergence ($1,000).
*	Musicians & Sound Equipment ($500)
*	Photography/Videography/Drone Footage ($800)
*	 Promotion, Fliers ($200)

Stretch Goal: Extra funds beyond our goal will go towards flying in more of
the Portland City Repair team, and more building materials.

1st Annual San Luis Obispo VBC Schedule:

Thurs 3/30: Gathering The Villagers

Afternoon: Yoga, Live Music and Community Building at the Mission Plaza,
3-6pm

Evening: Bliss Cafe VBC Launch (Dinner, Music, Talks) 6-10pm

Fri 3/31: Palm Street

Morning: "Food Not Lawns" Community Garden Building with Potluck & Live
Music 9:30am -4pm

Evening: Guild Hall (Dinner, Live Music, Workshops, Talks) 5:30pm - 8pm

Sat 4/1: Luneta Drive

Daytime: Street Mural, Little Free Library Building, Live Music 9:30am - 4pm

Evening: Guild Hall (Dinner, Live Music, Workshops, Talks) 5:30pm - 8pm

Sun 4/2: Morro Street / Bill Roalman Bike Boulevard

Daytime: Street planter boxes, Side-yard Garden & street mural, 9:30am - 4pm

Evening: Guild Hall (Dinner, Live Music, Workshops, Talks) 5:30pm - 8pm

Post-VBC Permaculture Events:

Monday 4/3: Herbal Workshops at Branch Mill Organics

Tuesday 4/4: City Farm Outdoor Kitchen Build

3:30-6:30pm Work party at the SLO City Farm!

Wednesday 4/5: Student Experimental Farm - Cal Poly

Wednesday Evening: Craft Night & Wizard Wednesday

Saturday 4/15: Earth Day at Branch Mill Organics - Arroyo Grande

Earth Day celebration with live music, vendors, activities, yoga, massage,
organic food, etc.

Get Involved!

Would you like to offer your permaculture skills, a workshop,
live/electronic music, live painting, yoga, or anything else to this
convergence? Contact us at solutionaryproductions at gmail.com

Blooming Biodiversity Permaculture:

<http://BloomingBiodiversity.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d86a6d60323e
9242f09e50303&id=583cf29a9a&e=716be48551> www.BloomingBiodiversity.org

Examples of Street Murals:

<http://BloomingBiodiversity.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d86a6d60323e
9242f09e50303&id=d3bc4ddaa7&e=716be48551>
www.cityrepair.org/street-painting-examples/

For more information about the Village Building Convergence, visit
<http://BloomingBiodiversity.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d86a6d60323e
9242f09e50303&id=fb4fd58161&e=716be48551> www.VillageBuildingConvergence.com

For more information about The City Repair Project, visit
<http://BloomingBiodiversity.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d86a6d60323e
9242f09e50303&id=35246efdea&e=716be48551> www.CityRepair.org

<http://BloomingBiodiversity.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d86a6d60323
e9242f09e50303&id=61d13fa081&e=716be48551> Help actualize this dream by
donating to our
Crowdfunding Campaign: https://igg.me/at/O8q9qAuzL6c

Towards the future,

SLO Permaculture Guild