[Central Coast CA Permaculture] FW: Permaculture People & Indigenous People & Village Building all go together

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Sun Mar 5 11:39:25 PST 2017

Hello People,

We desperately need to come together on so many fronts. This month we have many opportunities to come together as a community. Our First Annual Village Building Convergence at the end of March is dedicated to honoring the local Chumash people who have built villages here for tens of thousands of years. Now we need to reset the respect  that is shown for all the people who have lived here before us.

1.       March 6th – Farmer’s Guild monthly meeting – https://www.facebook.com/Farmers-Guild-San-Luis-Obispo-615706195234358/

2.       March 8th – International Woman’s Day of Prayer (see below)

3.       March 10th – March on Washington (see below)

4.       March 11th – CRFG Propagation Day  - http://www.crfg-central.org/calendar.html

5.       March 13th – Hearing on Phillips 66 at Board of Sups and Rally at 12noon downtown SLO - http://www.sierraclub.org/san-francisco-bay/blog/2017/02/stop-phillips-66-oil-trains-board-supervisor-hearings-march-13th

6.       March 16th – Community Creation – contact Zachariah Stillwater at zachariahstilllwater at gmail.com

7.       March 18th – Love SLO event at Our Global Family Garden at City Farm - https://www.facebook.com/events/1346336525423688/

8.       March 23rd  - SLO Progressives meeting - https://sloprogressives.org/event/slo-progressives-monthly-meeting/2017-03-23/

9.       March 25th  – SLO Seed Savers Workshop - www.facebook.com/sloseedexchange

10.   March 27th – Mark Lakeman speaking on behalf of Hope’s Village - https://www.facebook.com/events/1214331772013962/

11.   March 31st   – April 2nd is our First Annual Village Building Convergence - https://cityrepairslo.org/vbc

Here are the details…

March 8th & March 10th

 <http://unify.acemlnb.com/lt.php?s=1aeb7f7c392e80d9a41b50f072bf05e4&i=121A239A2A669>

Hello Standing Rock Family,

We honor you for your care and contribution to protecting our waters, standing up for indigenous rights, and unifying in peace and positive intention for the benefit and evolution of humanity.

There has been much evolving at Standing Rock over the last few days and our team on the ground is coming up with a plan moving forward.  Many of us will be at the march in Washington DC on March 10th and  <http://unify.acemlnb.com/lt.php?s=1aeb7f7c392e80d9a41b50f072bf05e4&i=121A239A2A676> we invite you to join us.

We'd also like to invite you to a global meditation prayer event on International Women's Day, March 8th!

Over 15,000 women have signed up so far to gather and cultivate sacred sisterhood, participating in 350+ Sister Circles on the  <http://unify.acemlnb.com/lt.php?s=1aeb7f7c392e80d9a41b50f072bf05e4&i=121A239A2A675> world wide map.

Mona Polacca, a Hopi/Havasupai elder of the International Council of the 13 Indigenous Grandmothers, will be offering a live global synchronized prayer to honor the divine feminine, sending a wave of kindness, compassion­, connection­, and peace into this world. The broadcast will also include a special heart meditation.

Women will be gather­ing in virtual and local sister circles at 7 pm their local time zone to synchroniz­e in intention, meditation­, prayer, and sisterhood­.

You are invited to participat­e in or facilitate a local Sister Circle or tune in to our free live audio meditation and prayer broadcast - Please  <http://unify.acemlnb.com/lt.php?s=1aeb7f7c392e80d9a41b50f072bf05e4&i=121A239A2A675> click here to join us.

 <http://unify.acemlnb.com/lt.php?s=1aeb7f7c392e80d9a41b50f072bf05e4&i=121A239A2A674>

Last year for Internatio­nal Women's Day 650 women's circles gathered in 65+ countries to courageous­ly transform insecuriti­es, jealousy, and competitio­n into support, confidence­, and collaborat­ion.

Together with you the Global Sisterhood is transformi­ng the world through inner work, cultivating authentic connections, and taking inspired ­action.

It's truly remarkable to feel the momentum of women coming together with such a beautiful intention.

It would be an honor to have you  <http://unify.acemlnb.com/lt.php?s=1aeb7f7c392e80d9a41b50f072bf05e4&i=121A239A2A675> join us.

We are in awe of the global unity that took place to stand in prayer for Standing Rock, and we feel that now is the time to continue the momentum of unifying in peace to transform our world.

You matter. Your pres­ence, intention, voice, and heart are needed in our world.  Let's unify for the benefit of all life.

Sincerely,

Lauren, Emma, and the UNIFY Global Sisterhood Team.

  <http://unify.acemlnb.com/lt.php?nl=2&c=121&m=239&s=1aeb7f7c392e80d9a41b50f072bf05e4&l=open>

March 11th – CRFG Propagation Day – 1pm at UCCE Demo Garden in SLO

CA Rare Fruit Growers propagation meeting is held at the Garden of the Seven Sisters, 2156 Sierra Way, right near the county agriculture department.

For this meeting to be a success again this year we will need your help in bringing plants that you start now, plant cuttings, extra seeds, bulbs, corms, etc.  This will be an exchange of plant material and labor.  We will have plug trays of various garden vegetables and ornamentals for you to transplant and take home, and we hope some of you can also bring plants starts.  We will also have seeds that can be planted at the meeting, and again hope you can bring leftover seeds to share, this is a great opportunity for you to clean out those leftover seeds from the past few years.  There will be plant cuttings such as figs, pomegranates, bramble berries, grapes, etc., and we hope you can add to the selection.  Please bring your own containers, six packs, nursery cans, etc., we will have soil there.  In addition to hands-on propagation activities we plan to have a few propagation presentations as well.  This meeting is intended to prepare and motivate us all to get our spring gardens going early.

March 13th – Hearing for Phillips 66 Project and Rally at 12noon

Phillips 66 has appealed the Planning Commission’s denial to the San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors. The Supervisors need to hear loud and clear that toxic, dangerous oil trains have no place in our communities, near our homes, parks, schools, environmentally sensitive habitat, and precious water resources. Please join us!

WHEN: Monday, March 13th, 9 am
Hearings will continue every day that week from 9 am to 5 pm as needed.

WHERE: San Luis Obispo County Government Building
1055 Monterey Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

 <http://stopoiltrains.nationbuilder.com/bos_rsvp> RSVP HERE!

At noon on March 13, we will hold a rally outside the hearings to demonstrate that San Luis Obispo County and supporting communities are ready to move beyond dirty energy and look to a cleaner, healthier, safer future.

March 16th – Community Creation – zachariahstillwater at gmail.com

Zachariah Stillwater and others are feeling inspired to see 2017 unfold in a way that allows people to build community on a piece of land to live together in a sustainable way. The group has made a list of values and desires, now is the time to form an organization and get the word out. There is possible land in SLO that can be used to create a co-op housing space on 120 acres.  This is what will be explored together at the next meeting on March 16th. Contact Zachariah to find out where they are meeting.

March 18th – Love SLO event at Our Global Family Garden City Farm – 8am – 12noon

Come out to City Farm to help prepare for springtime! We have the land, now we need people to tend the land. We've been building the soil, now we prep the soil for planting. Come lend a hand as there has been lots of storm damage to repair and soil to dig and pathways to mend.

 <http://loveourcitiesprojects.com/projects/san-luis-obispo/city-farm-spring-beautification> http://loveourcitiesprojects.com/projects/san-luis-obispo/city-farm-spring-beautification

March 23rd – SLO Progressives Monthly Meeting 6:30pm at the SLO Guild Hall

 <https://sloprogressives.org/event/slo-progressives-monthly-meeting/2017-03-23/> https://sloprogressives.org/event/slo-progressives-monthly-meeting/2017-03-23/

March 25th – Seed Savers workshop in the Nipomo Mesa with Cindy Jelinek, 1pm – 3pm - $15.00

Topic: Planning your garden for seedsaving: planting example bed.

Cindy is a long-time member of Seed Savers Exchange, president of Nipomo Native Garden, and self-sustaining gardener who always has new bean seeds to try every year.

For information & registration

email Elizabeth Johnson at  <mailto:stteresa at kcbx.net> stteresa at kcbx.net

(tel) 805-543-5364

 <http://www.facebook.com/sloseedexchange> www.facebook.com/sloseedexchange

March 27th – Mark Lakeman speaking on behalf of Hope’s Village 5:15pm at SLO City Library

Hope's Village of SLO hosts "Village Builder" Mark Lakeman https://marklakeman.wordpress.com/about/
He'll tell us about viable housing solutions in Oregon for people suffering homelessness and other folks who want to downsize, and how we can make this happen here in SLO too.
This is the third time Hope's Village has had the opportunity to host Mark here in SLO. We're very honored -- he is one amazing man...

March 31st  – April 2nd is our First Annual Village Building Convergence - https://cityrepairslo.org/vbc/

We will have neighborhood repair projects in various neighborhoods around SLO county and then in the evenings we’ll gather around the virtual fire and listen to local story tellers and share best practices to improving the health and happiness of our communities.

Fri 3/31: Masonic Lodge, Opening Ceremonies and Keynotes

Shared Meal  5:30-6:30 $10/person

Opening Ceremony Violet Cavenaugh (Chumash Tribal Council)

7 pm  $10/person

Keynote: Mark Lakeman and City Repair SLO team

Sat 4/1: Cerro San Luis Foothills Neighborhood Association

Daytime: Street Mural, Free Library Building, Scavenger Hunt, Music 9:30am – 5pm

Evening: Masonic Lodge

Shared Meal  5:30-6:30 $10/person

Stories of the Day, Keynote, Music 7:00 – 10pm $10/person

Sun 4/2: Morro Street / Bill Roalman Bike Boulevard

Daytime: Street planter boxes & street mural, 9:30am – 3pm

Chumash Farms

– Little Free Library install 12-2pm

– Closing Stories and Ceremony 2-3pm

And in April…

4/8/2017 – Conservation Celebration at Charles Paddock Zoo

https://www.facebook.com/sloconservationcelebration/

4/15/2017 - Earth Day at Branch Mill Organic Farm in Arroyo Grande

https://www.facebook.com/events/1825392471032678

4/15/2017 - Earth Day Festival in Oxnard

https://visitoxnard.com/event/earth-day-festival/

4/21/2017 – Dr. Elaine Ingham at the Inn at Morro Bay

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/healthy-foodwebs-healthy-soils-tickets-31848703329?aff=efbnreg

4/22/2017 - Earth Day at El Chorro Regional Park in SLO

http://earthdayalliance.com/participants/2015-exhibitors/

4/22/2017 - Earth Day EcoFest at Ventura Plaza Park

http://www.venturaearthday.org/

4/22/2017 - Greater Bakersfield Green Expo in Yukots Park

http://www.seecalifornia.com/events/earthday/bakersfield.html

4/22 & 23 - Earth Day in Santa Barbara

http://www.sbearthday.org/