[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Village Building Convergence coming to SLO - Make Lakeman will be here from Portland

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Mon Mar 20 08:29:51 PDT 2017

Hello Village Builders!

City Repair San Luis Obispo (SLO) is holding its first annual Village
Building Convergence. Members of the SLO Permaculture Guild are partners in
co-creating the first annual SLO VBC..

Friday March 31th - Sunday April 2nd

 https://cityrepairslo.org/vbc/

We are inspired by the work of City Repair Portland and we honor their
vision of recreating the village in our neighborhoods.  We will have
neighborhood repair projects in various neighborhoods around SLO county and
then in the evenings we'll gather around the virtual fire and listen to
local story tellers and share best practices to improving the health and
happiness of our communities.

Reminder: Mark Lakeman is also speaking on Monday, March 27th at the SLO
City Library at 5:15pm. "I propose to provide an overview presentation on
exciting, low cost and high impact solutions to homelessness.  This visual
presentation would describe a range of issues, challenges, and numerous
successful models based on affordable tiny-house based projects that are
happening now in increasing numbers of cities and towns across North
America. A brief chronology will be presented, from founding ideas to most
up to date models, including the highly popular "Argyle Village," Portland's
newest self-help tiny house village for women."     - Mark Lakeman

Join our <https://cityrepairslo.org/vbc/>  Village Building Convergence

Get your tickets now!!!

See the schedule below:

Friday 3/31: SLO VBC Opening Ceremony & Entertainment ($10/person)

Location: SLO Masonic Lodge 859 Marsh St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

.         6:00pm Community Dinner (add $10/person)

.         7:00pm Opening Chumash Ceremony by Violet Cavanaugh (Northern
Chumash Tribal Council) followed by City Repair SLO

.         7:30pm-8:30pm Keynote "The Village and the Grid" Talk by Mark
Lakeman (City Repair Co-founder)

https://cityrepairslo.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/image1.jpg?w=96&h=96&crop=
1

.         8:30-9:00pm Special Guests Music by Molly McCabe & Bloom Music

.         9:00-10:00pm Headline Music by Zen Mountain Poets

Tickets available
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/slo-village-building-convergence-opening-cerem
ony-tickets-32718322383>  here.

  _____

Saturday 4/1:

Daytime: Cerro San Luis Foothills Neighborhood Work Party (no cost)

Location: La Entrada Ave San Luis Obispo, CA 93405

.         9:00am-3:00pm Street Mural, Free Library Building, Music, Snack
Lunch (provided)

Evening: Celebration & Entertainment ($10/person)

Location: SLO Masonic Lodge 859 Marsh St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

.         6:00pm-7:00pm Community Dinner (add $10/person)

.         7:00pm-7:30pm Co-Keynote Talk "Water is Life - From Standing Rock
to SLO" by Roberto Monge (City Repair SLO)

.         7:30pm-8:00pm Co-Keynote Talk "Neighborhood Water tending
(greywater, ocean friendly gardens, resilient plants, etc)" by Joshua
Carmichael (Carmichael Environmental)

.         8:00pm-8:30pm Neighborhood Leaders Panel TBA "Re-Villaging
Neighborhoods Toward Engaged Community"

https://cityrepairslo.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/proxima_logo1.png?w=195&h=
96

.         8:30pm-9:30pm Special Guests Music by Baywood Jones

.         9:30pm-11:00pm Headliner Music by Proxima Parada

Tickets available
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/slo-village-building-convergence-celebration-t
ickets-32800403891>  here.

  _____

Sunday 4/2:

Daytime: Mayor Harmon's & NCTC Work Parties (no
cost)https://cityrepairslo.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/heidi-harmon-mayor.jp
g?w=150&h=150

Location: Mill Street San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

.         9:00am-Noon Mayor Harmon's: Little Free Library install,
Landscaping, Street mural

https://cityrepairslo.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/nctc-ologo.jpg?w=150&h=148

Location: 18th, Los Osos, CA 93402

.         Noon-3pm Northern Chumash Tribe Center: Lunch, Little Free Library
install, Landscaping

.         3pm-4pm SLO VBC Closing Ceremony.

.

dsc_0222

Also, this Saturday, March 25th  is the second 2017 Seedsaving Workshop from
1-3pm at Cindy Jelinek's residence in Nipomo.  Cindy will review some of the
basics we discussed last month, followed by a talk about planning your
garden for saving seeds.  You'll be able to apply this to whatever size
garden area you're working with.  Dress for gardening - we'll be planting
example beds with self-pollinating varieties, our Super Easy seeds.

480 Calle Cielo

>From hwy 101, take Tefft St exit to W. Tefft and continue until it ends at a
T stop sign.

Turn right onto N Las Flores Dr

Turn left on Camino del Oro

Turn right on Calle Cielo

Hope to see you there.  Bring a small notebook.  $15 per workshop.

Elizabeth Johnson stteresa at kcbx.net