[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Transforming Our Communities

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Sun Apr 16 17:01:59 PDT 2017

Dear Permaculture Community,

Before I share some local events with you, I first want to share a couple of
insights and resources from the Lucidity Festival with you. The 2017
Lucidity Festival is the sixth and final chapter of hosting the festival at
Live Oak Campground.

Lucidity Festival is what is called a Transformational Festival  in which
"we become lucid in our dreams, we realize ourselves as infinite potential,
we let go of fear, and we are free to create that which we want to see in
the world."

"Lucidity Festival, LLC is rapidly growing and restructuring to accommodate
larger and more diverse projects, to include but not limited to: the
development of Intentional Communities and self-sufficient regenerative
systems grounded on a collectively owned and operated property, an expansion
of the Lucid University up in Oregon, producing retreat-style and more
focused intentional events, festival start-up and consultation, lucid
marketing and conscious media production, to name a few."

In other words, they, themselves are transforming. The take away message for
all festival goers is to go back home and transform your communities into
vibrant, regenerative places where we tend the earth and where the "magic"
of community building can take place where we live. We are being called to
transform our communities into what we want them to be - vital, vibrant and
nourishing environments, economies and with just and equitable societies.

Two books to help with this transformation were shared at the Lucidity
Festival:

ReInhabiting the Village by Jamaica Stevens - "ReInhabiting the Village:
CoCreating our Future" is a 352-page graphically rich, full-color,
soft-cover book showcasing the work of 12 Visionary Artists and over 60
Contributing Authors featuring "Voices from the Village" sharing their
experience, best practices, strategies, and resources to empower communities
through practical wisdom and inspiring perspectives.

We the People: Consenting to a Deeper Democracy by John Buck and Sharon
Villines - We the People describes a new method of governing ourselves that
creates more inclusive and efficient organizations. It describes a new way
of governing called "Sociocracy." Sociocracy ensures these rights to
everyone, and in the process, makes profit-making businesses more profitable
and non-profit organizations more effective.

In that spirit of tending the earth and taking care of each other, please
come to these following events to help transform them into community centers
where we can stand together on the land as one. Please share these events
with others either through email or Facebook or face to face! Thanks!

April 18 - Panel of School Food Service Directors 4pm - 6pm at Copeland
Health Education Pavilion located behind French Hospital. SLO County public
schools' Food Services Directors will share their efforts in scratch
cooking, local food sourcing, and the CA Thursdays campaign. Short panel
followed by a round table discussion with audience participation on how to
transform our local school food system.

April 22nd -Seed Savers Workshop #3 - 1pm - 3pm
SLO Seed Exchange is honored to have Larry Kandarian host our third 2017
Seedsaving Workshop at his Los Osos Valley Road organic farm on Earth Day,
April 22 from 1-3pm.  Larry has been working overtime at 'all things seeds'
- organic heritage grains, flour, pollen, flax, chia, herbs, and more for
local markets and Farmers Markets in SLO and beyond. If you need a nudge to
up your game with organic seedsaving, don't miss this session. ON PARKING:
Due to limited space at the farm, we'll park our vehicles at St. Benedict's
Episcopal Church, corner of Los Osos Valley Road and Clark Valley Road, and
carpool the mile to Larry's farm.  Please arrive at St. Benedict's by 12:45.
Flyer is attached.

April 22nd - Earth Day at El Chorro Regional Park - People, Planet, Peace
http://earthdayalliance.com/

April 25 - Garden Work Party at the SLO Guild Hall - 2880 Broad Street. 6pm
with potluck to follow
The SLO Permaculture Guild has been asked to help transform the garden
behind the SLO Guild Hall into a Food Forest.  We will start by planting
seven citrus trees on the evening of April 25th and then have a potluck.
Please come and help with this transformation!

April 29 & 30 - WILDFLOWER Show at Cambria Vet's Hall
Hundreds of freshly picked Central Coast wildflowers and other flora will be
presented and described. Edible, Medicinal, Rare, Invasive and Poisonous
plants will be identified. So bring your camera. Botanists will be on hand
for your questions. Flyer is attached.

April 30 - The Carbon Solution webinar at Santa Barbara City College

The Carbon Farming Solution, with Eric Toensmeier

A Live Stream, Interactive Webinar Event on the SBCC Campus with
participating students, faculty, & the public invited. Includes a panel of
key community members

6- 8:30pm - Admission $5, Students Free (with current i.d.)

 Location: Fe Bland Auditorium/BC Forum, Santa Barbara City College (West
Campus)

800 Block of Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA

May 13 - Community Day on the Farm - 10am - 2pm at 1221 Calle Joaquin - Our
Global Family Village at City Farm PLANTING PARTY, SONG CIRCLE, HONORING THE
EARTH, & COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS WITH CAL POLY. Please come to transform
this space into a community gathering spot on farmland.

May 20 - Raise the Solar Roof Fundraiser for the SLO Guild Hall - 12noon to
10pm
Music, Dancing, Food & Drink, and Children's Activities all day long! Flyer
is attached.
Buy your tickets online at: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2896731

May 26 - 28 - Hands On Permaculture Retreat at Sunburst Sanctuary in Lompoc
Reconnect with yourself, with Spirit, and with our sacred Earth.  Enjoy
heartfelt camaraderie, yoga, guided meditation, music, and delicious
vegetarian meals amidst pristine natural beauty.  For more information
contactus at sunburst.org or call 805-736-6528. Flyer is attached.

June 25 - Community Day on the Farm - 10am - 2pm at 1221 Calle Joaquin - Our
Global Family Village at City Farm SUMMER SOLSTICE - SUMMER PLANTING PARTY,
HONORING THE CIRCLE OF LIFE, & AFRICAN DRUMMING. Let's transform the farm
into a summer paradise!

July 11-14th - FARMGIRLS Summer Camp
FARMGIRLS Summer Camp is Girl Power for our Future Food System!  FARMGIRLS
Summer Camp is held at Our Global Family Farm, a permaculture demonstration
site located at City Farm SLO. It features food crops and indigenous food
cropping systems from the four corners of the globe. FARMGIRLS Summer Camp
will include farming, cooking, eating, making crafts, singing and nature
hikes. The FARMGILRS summer camp is a place where young women can learn
about how to grow food in an ecological approach that follows the ethics of
permaculture: care for the earth, care for one another, and share the
abundance.  Together we can create a food system that is Regenerative,
Healthy, Local, and Resilient.

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp is now open to women too. We want to see generations
of women and girls be empowered to learn about agriculture and to grow their
own food! Start signing up now!!!

http://www.permaculture.us.com/farmgirls/farmgirls-summer-camp

October 6 & 7 - Tri County Growing Edible Education Symposium in SLO County
We are transforming our schoolyards into edible schoolyards and our school
cafeterias into healthy dining experiences. We are transforming our
educational system to be geared towards health food, healthy children and a
healthy environment. We are looking for sponsorships to cover the cost of
putting on the symposium. Please contact me for more information. Attached
is a flyer.

Teresa Tree Lees
SLO Permaculture Guild