[Central Coast CA Permaculture] community building and soil building on May 13th

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Sat May 6 09:27:21 PDT 2017

Dear SLO Permaculture Community,

The most important thing we can do now is to build community – support our local food system, build our soil health, increase our sustainability efforts, grow school gardens, help ensure health care for everyone, protect immigrant families, and get involved in community permaculture projects, social and environmental justice causes, etc …. To make this place we live OUR HOME,  OUR ECOLOGY.

Ecology (from Greek: οἶκος, "house", or "environment"; -λογία, "study of") is the scientific analysis and study of interactions among organisms and their environment. It is an interdisciplinary field that includes biology, geography, and Earth science.

Here are some way to do that. Flyers are attached for many of these.

May 7th – Pancake breakfast at SLO Guild Hall 8am – 11am with local artists which supports the Guild Hall as a community meeting space and cultural center. See attached flyer.

May 9th – Listen to Dave Congalton at 3:30pm to hear news of FARMGIRLS Summer Camp as Dave interviews Teresa Tree Lees about local farm to school efforts. AM dial 920. In October we will be hosting the Growing Edible Education Symposium here in SLO that focuses on school gardens, nutrition, and green environments for our K-12 school system. See attached flyer.

May 11th – Look at the New Times for an article about FARMGIRLS Summer Camp, which will be held for women and children at Our Global Family Farm July 11 – 14. See attached flyer for more information.

May 13 – Community Day at Our Global Family Farm – 9am – 1pm at 1221 Calle Joaquin - Our Global Family Village at City Farm PLANTING PARTY, SONG CIRCLE, HONORING THE EARTH, & COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS WITH CAL POLY. Please come to transform this space into a community gathering spot on farmland for families and children of all ages. We’ve got weeds to chop and drop, compost piles to make, pathways to mulch, tomatoes to plant and building projects too. This is our community farm plot to demo permaculture ethics and design principles to the general public and families.

Many hands make light work, and the work is to regenerate the soil ecology into a living, breathing soil teaming with biology! See the soil building checklist attached here to see the many techniques we are engaged with on the land. See attached flyer.

May 13th Tour of Kandarian Organic Farm with CA Rare Fruit Growers- 1pm
Starts with social gathering and nutrition. Business meeting starts at 1:30 p.m.

Location:  Kandarian Organic Farms:  3255 Los Osos Valley Road, Los Osos, CA 93402

Program:   host, Larry Kandarian, will give us an overview of his farming operation... especially his philosophy.  He has been farming for 25 years!!  Then, we take a short walk with him... and we are all invited to do some shopping for ancient grains.

Month of May is Living Schoolyard Month and Bike Month – Many events are planned through our community and schools to celebrate and acknowledge sustainability. See attached schedule.

May 20th – Raising the Solar Roof at the SLO Guild Hall – 12noon – 3pm for BBQ lunch, music and community spirit to raise funds to install solar panels on the roof. Show up and donate towards this great cause. (Note: the event has scaled back to just three hours in the afternoon. No tickets required.)

Third Saturdays (May 20th)  – Solar Cooking Classes with Phyllis Davies
Solar Cooking classes are scheduled the 3rd Saturday, 12:30-2:00, May  thru October

5009 Jespersen Rd. SLO,

FREE no registration needed

May 26 – 28 – Hands On Permaculture Retreat at Sunburst Sanctuary in Lompoc
Reconnect with yourself, with Spirit, and with our sacred Earth.  Enjoy heartfelt camaraderie, yoga, guided meditation, music, and delicious vegetarian meals amidst pristine natural beauty.  For more information contactus at sunburst.org or call 805-736-6528. Flyer is attached.

May 27, June 24, July 22 – Seedsaving Workshops - 1pm – 3pm
May is at Rutiz Farms in Halcyon, June is at Cirone Farms in Avila, and July is Ethnobotany in No County. Contact Elizabeth Johnson for more information at  <mailto:stteresa at kcbx.net> stteresa at kcbx.net or 805-543-5364.

PDC at Santa Barbara Community College
SBCC Permaculture Design Course Summer Course Starting in May 2017
Class code: EH109 CRN 20690
One of the most affordable in the US and open to community members and Students - <https://www.facebook.com/margie.bushman.5> Margie Bushman and Wes Roe have been teaching the Invisible Systems part of the PDC since 2008
great teaching team of  <https://www.facebook.com/danielparrahensel> Daniel Parra Hensel and Michael Gonella. This is a 5 unit course and completion will guarantee an international PDC design certificate. For more information contact: daprarranhense at pipiline.sbcc.edu.

Lots of community efforts to support!

Check out below information about the Permaculture Convergence to be held at the Solar Living Institute in Northern California this Fall….

Do what you can!!! It's important to remain steadfast and committed.

Teresa Tree Lees

SLO Permaculture Guild