[Central Coast CA Permaculture] two events tomorrow and one next Saturday

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Fri Jun 23 09:40:50 PDT 2017

Hello SLO Permaculture Guild,

Remember that tomorrow, June 24th is our Summer Planting Party in time for
the summer solstice!

It is from 10am - 12noon at our permaculture garden at City Farm called Our
Global Family Village. (1221 Calle Joaquin Road in SLO)

There are summer crops to plant in the four corners of the globe, there are
weeds to pull and there are wood chips to mulch.

Please come and bring a shovel. Also bring a drum for a drum circle to be
held at 12noon.

We will also have work days on August 26, September 30 and October 28th for
a Harvest Party. See attached schedule.

Then tomorrow afternoon is the Seedsaving Workshop from 1pm - 3pm.

Just a reminder for our Summer Fruits Seedsaving workshop this Saturday,
June 24th from 1-3pm at Mike Cirone's farm, 3225 See Canyon Road, SLO.
We'll be talking about pollination and pollinators.  Hope to see you there!
Elizabeth Johnson 805-543-5364. Flyer is attached.

Cob Workshop on July 1st at Lavra
On July 1st of this year, the Lavra Community is offering a free workshop
from 9-3 on building with Cob to those interested in sustainable living.
Cob is a traditional building style similar to adobe that is comprised of
sand, clay, straw, and water; in the ideal, it uses local materials
indigenous to the site and provides lasting and strong buildings.  The
workshop is limited to 30 people and during the hands-on demonstration, we
will build together a short example wall in a day.

The workshop is made possible by the diligent work of the residents of the
Lavra, which is run by a non-profit educational foundation, as well as the
financial support of Rabobank of Arroyo Grande, who are the primary sponsors
and provided the funds to bring an internationally known workshop leader in
sustainable building, "Cob" Betty Seaman.  She has taught in some of the
most well-known sustainable building schools in the world and lives in a cob
village near Los Olivos. We could not be more excited to have her share with
us her passion for Cob.

We hope that this will be an exciting beginning to a series on alternative
building practices over the coming years.  We hope in the future to do
workshops on sandbag building, live roofs, stawbale, and rammed earth. We
see our workshops as a public service that over time will build a reservoir
of knowledge in the county that will contribute to the normalization of
these techniques in the community and making the Central Coast a leader in
alternative and sustainable building.

To register a spot, please contact us at thelavra at gmail.com.  The Lavra is
located in Corbett Canyon, between SLO and Arroyo Grande.  We will have a
potluck lunch during the workshop.  If you have any questions, please do not
hesitate to contact us.

July 11 - 14 is the FARMGIRLS Summer Camp

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp is Girl Power for our Future Food System!  FARMGIRLS
Summer Camp is held at Our Global Family Farm, a permaculture demonstration
site located at City Farm SLO. It features food crops and indigenous food
cropping systems from the four corners of the globe. FARMGIRLS Summer Camp
will include farming, cooking, eating, making crafts, singing and nature
hikes. The FARMGILRS summer camp is a place where women and girls of all
ages can learn about how to grow food in an ecological approach that follows
the ethics of permaculture: care for the earth, care for one another, and
share the abundance.  Together we can create a food system that is
Regenerative, Healthy, Local, and Resilient. Location: Our Global Family
Farm at City Farm in San Luis Obispo www.cityfarmslo.org

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp is now open to women too. We want to see generations
of women and girls be empowered to learn about agriculture and to grow their
own food! Start signing up now!!!
http://www.permaculture.us.com/farmgirls/farmgirls-summer-camp

July 25th - SLO Permaculture Guild Quarterly Meeting at 6pm at SLO Guild
Hall

This month we will share stories from recent permaculture projects such as
the Cob Construction & FARMGIRLS Summer Camp. If you know of or have any
permaculture projects you'd like to share with the group then please do.
We'll have a laptop and projector set up to show photos. Bring your own
thumb drive. Bring snack foods to share too.

Growing Edible Education Symposium October 6th & 7th at Rancho El Chorro
Conference Center in SLO

The Third Annual Growing Edible Education, (GEE), Symposium is now open for
Early Registration thru August at: https://www.geesymposium.org.  This
important event brings together schools and organizations that support the
farm to school, and school garden efforts in Santa Barbara, Ventura and San
Luis Obispo counties. The GEE Symposium unites diverse stakeholders such as
schools, outside agencies, and farm businesses to promote and support Farm
to School activities.

Hope to see you at one of the events!

Teresa Tree Lees

On behalf of the SLO Permaculture Guild