[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Quarterly Permaculture Guild meeting on July 25th - report in on local projects

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Sat Jul 15 21:54:48 PDT 2017

Hello Permaculture Guild,

Hope you can make it next Tuesday to our next Quarterly Permaculture Guild
meeting on July 25th, 6 pm at the SLO Guild Hall for a potluck of appetizers
and also a "potluck of permaculture project ideas." We will be sharing out
local permaculture projects. Come share what you are up to. Here are some
sample projects that will be shared:

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp with Teresa "Tree" Lees - attached are daily notes
from the Farmgirls Summer Camp

Landscape Projects with Josh Carmichael - Josh will be hosting the meeting
on July 25th

Natural Building Projects including a cob wall built at The Lavra Community
in Arroyo Grande on July 1st

Also please note that community work days at the permaculture farm, Our
Global Family, are on the 4th Saturday of the month..10am - 12noon

Come lend a helping hand to create this community gathering space. Flyer is
attached for more information.

July 29th

August 26th

September 23rd

October 28th - Harvest Festival and Peruvian ceremony for Mother Corn

SLO Seed Saving Workshop on July 22nd
Seedsaving Workshop on Saturday July 22 from 10-noon will be led by the
energetic and knowledgeable Melanie Blankenship at her Main Street Templeton
business, Nature's Touch Nursery & Harvest.  The topic of discuss is "Back
to Basics" -  seasonal organic farming, small scale farming, how to read
soil quality, how to provide for yourself, and how all this relates to
saving quality organic seeds.  Melanie has been a contract organic seed
grower and tester, and spent four years on the Ag Liaison Advisory Board
representing District 1.  She farms, runs her store, nursery, and deli, is
an organic & biodynamic farming consultant.  Melanie is a unique voice with
a broad & deep understanding of the choices we face in gardening and farming
and the importance of tending our soil.  See attached flyer.

Preview of film "TOMORROW" on July 26th down in Santa Barbara at 7pm at
Marjorie Luke Theater

this is a strongly permaculture inspired film!

cid:A46AFF51-8CBE-4B04-8EE1-E63061F4914D

TOMORROW - Take Concrete Steps to a Sustainable Future -

Wed, July 26, 2017

Admission: $10 Adults, $7 seniors & students

Location:  Marjorie Luke Theater, 721 E Cota St, Santa Barbara, CA 93103

"Without question, TOMORROW is absolutely the best and most creative film on
the future of humanity and the environment".
- Paul Hawken, author of the recently published bestseller, Project
Drawdown, & CEC's 2017 Environmental Hero

Growing Edible Education Symposium October 6th & 7th at Rancho El Chorro
Outdoor School
This important event brings together schools and organizations that support
the farm to school, and school garden efforts in Santa Barbara, Ventura and
San Luis Obispo counties. The GEE Symposium unites diverse stakeholders such
as schools, outside agencies, and farm businesses to promote and support
Farm to School activities. You are invited to attend. Here is the website:
https://www.geesymposium.org/

The GEE Symposium is packed full of field trips to SLO County school
gardens, farms, and agricultural enterprises. There will be keynote speakers
including Gail Feenstra, Deputy Director of the Sustainable Agriculture
Research and Education Program (SAREP) at the University of California,
Davis and Karen Brown, Creative Director at the Center for Ecoliteracy,
workshops, panels, and a networking expo on "How to "Grow Edible Education
in Your Schools". Participants will be treated to the culinary skills of
local Food Service Directors from San Luis Coastal, Lucia Mar USD, and Coast
USD who will partner with local farms to create delicious appetizers using
local produce.

Also please note that we are looking for sponsors and here is the link to
sign up for that:
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/ac05c5_269ec7adfd55485e852fdebfb184891e.pdf

Together let's care for the earth, care for people and share the abundance!

Tree Lees - SLO Permaculture Guild