[Central Coast CA Permaculture] upcoming events and work days - your help is needed

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Sun Aug 6 06:29:34 PDT 2017

Hello Dear Permaculture Guild,

We had a wonderful FARMGIRLS Summer Camp at Our Global Family Village in July!!! Here is a photo album: https://www.flickr.com/gp/153287402@N04/vPrjwP

Now it is time to gear up for fall and the fun of the harvest season! Your help is needed to prepare City Farm and Our Global Family Village for the Growing Edible Education Symposium field trip on Friday, October 6th and a Fall Harvest Festival on Sunday, October 8th.

You are most definitely invited to come to the GEE Symposium Oct. 6th & 7th (https://www.geesymposium.org/) and to the First Annual Fall Harvest Festival at City Farm on October 8th, our first big community event at the farm! (http://centralcoastgrown.org/) Flyers are attached.

We also need your help in soliciting sponsorships for the GEE Symposium. Please see the GEE 2017 Sponsorship menu and print a copy to fill out the donation form and send in. Please give a copy to food, farm, restaurant and wineries that could consider donating. The GEE Symposium is a gathering for all those involved in school gardens and farm to school efforts along the Central Coast. This is our first year of hosting in SLO.

Please show your support and come to the following work days at the farm in August:

August 19 to stain wood for the pergola from 10am – 2pm

August 20 to help construct the pergola from 10am – 2pm

August 26 to mulch all pathways in Our Global Village from 10am – 2pm

Honoring Indigenous Traditions on October 24th and October 28th

There will be a seasonal celebration to Honor Mother Corn on October 28th at Our Global Family Village from 10am – 2pm.

This event allows us to bless the food that nourishes us as a community and to honor indigenous peoples who have carried plant knowledge forward for generations.

We will also dedicated our Quarterly Permaculture Guild program on October 24th 6pm at the SLO Guild Hall to honoring indigenous traditions for the harvest. Please put these dates on your calendar. (Flyer for Our Global Family 2017 schedule is attached.)

And on August 12th in Santa Barbara there is a permaculture presentation with Matt Powers:

And in Santa Cruz there is a PDC Course September 2017 to March 2018. Scroll down below to see the details:

AND for those interested in ocean farming here is a great link to check out: https://www.greenwave.org/greenwaveorg/

5 Steps to an Abundant Future

with Matt Powers

author of The Permaculture Student

cid:image003.jpg at 01D308AD.724E39D0

Saturday, August 12, 2017

10am-Noon, Free

Location: South Coast Watershed Resource Center

Arroyo Burro County Beach Park (Hendry’s Beach)

2981 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara CA 93109

Please join Santa Barbara Permaculture Network on Saturday, August 12, as we host a morning talk with ecological designer, educator, and author Matt Powers, as he shares his 5 Steps to An Abundant Future that he suggests are needed to guarantee an abundant future for humans and the planet.

Seeing Permaculture as a powerful tool, Powers wants Permaculture to become a household word, that ultimately finds its way into households and communities everywhere.

A design science that uses the patterns and systems of nature to provide sustainably and regeneratively for both humans and the environment, Permaculture solves all the insurmountable problems of our modern world.  Loss of topsoil, deforestation, and pollution,  can all be addressed and reversed and regeneration can be achieved, as documented in a multitude of Permaculture projects around the world.

The  5 Steps to an Abundant Future are:

*	Building Healthy Soils
*	Growing Forests
*	Restoring the Oceans & All Waters
*	Regenerating Biodiversity
*	Rewilding Human Culture

And the good news, with these 5 steps, we can begin to reverse climate change, sequester excess carbon, clean up gnarly pollution in the air, water and soil, and bring back nature - all with the whole systems thinking of Permaculture.

Matt will also be sharing his recently published book The Permaculture Student 2 for students, teachers, families, and learners, that is designed as a year-long curriculum filled with projects, activities, and formulas combined into one easy-to-understand volume.  With up-to-date information, the book provides a holistic and comprehensive exploration of the philosophy of permaculture.

Brown bag with us!  Stay around to picnic in the park following the talk.  Lemonade, chips & dips provided, bring your own brown bag lunch.  Children welcome.

The FREE event takes place on Saturday, August 12, 2017, from 10am – Noon, at the South Coast Watershed Resource Center, located in the Arroyo Burro Beach County Park (Hendry’s), 2981 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109.

  No reservations required.   More info:  <mailto:Margie at sbpermacuture.org> Margie at sbpermacuture.org;  <http://www.sbpermaculture.org> www.sbpermaculture.org; 805-962-2571.

A Community Event Sponsored by

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

www.sbpermaculture.org

Event Co-Sponsors:  Explore Ecology, Pharmersea, & AMA SeaBeauty

Learn more:

Event Facebook:  <https://www.facebook.com/events/321804888231385/> https://www.facebook.com/events/321804888231385/

The South Coast Watershed Resource Center:   <https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.exploreecology.org%2Fwatershed-resource-center-santa-barbara.php&h=ATMde9aEOO00J0dvZRSBP474cBWwEGXYSPLV3DceuYOHI-fkcab3_p9TjG2S962PAP8BMSDNxeeXGjWwW-nlnPngbfsTmdoB9dAuz3IWKEabgA2imAB4LEwzuJbeaSrET_cxPvBekTHrRKh0LQ> http://www.exploreecology.org/watershed-resource-center-santa-barbara.ph <http://sbcc.edu/map/map.php?loc=CC>

What is Permaculture - Matt Powers:

“In the simplest of terms, permaculture is a way of seeing the world through nature’s eye, a lens through which to view the world based on three ethics Earth Care, People Care, and Care of the Future. This requires constant observation and adaptation as nature is constantly changing. Permaculture is action-oriented: it provides a framework for ecological and sustainable problem solving and design. It can be applied to anything because everything is sourced in nature, it’s patterns and it’s cycles. The way cites are designed , food is grown, homes are heated and communities interact can all be redesigned using permaculture lens to be sustainable, ethical and regenerative”.

The Permaculture Student 2: A Collection of Regenerative Solutions, by Matt Powers

 <http://www.thepermaculturestudent.com/> http://www.thepermaculturestudent.com/

Article: The Permaculture Student 2: A Guidebook For The Future:

 <https://permaculturenews.org/2017/03/10/permaculture-student-2-guidebook-future/> https://permaculturenews.org/2017/03/10/permaculture-student-2-guidebook-future/

Matt Powers online courses:

 <http://www.thepermaculturestudent.com/course-signup/the-permaculture-student-online> The Permaculture Student Online and  <http://www.thepermaculturestudent.com/course-signup/permaculturegardening> Permaculture Gardening with Matt Powers. Matt is also the host of Permaculture Tonight, an iTunes & SoundCloud podcast, and a resident horticultural and gardening expert at the Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company

Permaculture Design Course

September 2017 to March 2018

Santa Cruz, CA

 <http://santacruzpermaculture.com/education/permaculture-design-course/> Click here for more info and to register

Early Bird Discount Until August 5th!

Our course includes the internationally recognized 72-hour curriculum, augmented by an additional 38-hours of hands on practice and field trips.

GUIDES

David Shaw – Sustainable Agriculture & Social Permaculture

Lydia Neilsen – Watershed Restoration

John Valenzuela – Agroforestry & Tropical Permaculture

Janine Bjornson – Natural Building

Lee Klinger – Sudden Oak Life

Doniga Markegard - Holistic Management & Grassland Restoration

And More!

DATES & TOPICS

Sept 30 & Oct 1 – Introduction to Permaculture Design and Nature Awareness

Nov 11 & 12 – Restoring Watersheds & Soils

Dec 9 & 10 – Social Permaculture

Jan 13 & 14 – Home Scale Permaculture: Creating Natural Homes and Edible Landscapes

Feb 10 & 11 – Broad Scale Permaculture: Integrated Animal Husbandry and Forest Management

Mar 3 & 4 – Regenerative Community Development

Mar 11 – Design Presentations & Party!

REGISTRATION

$1,250 – Full 6-Month Tuition

$1,050 – Early-Bird Discount – Register Before August 5, 2017 and Save $200

$300 – One Weekend Only

$950 – Partner / Spouse Discount – When one partner registers for the full course, the second gets a discount

$950 – Teacher Discount – For K-12, College and University Teachers

$750 – Child Discount – When an adult registers for the full course, their child gets a discount

Please Inquire about Payment Plans, Low-income and Youth POC Discounts

WHAT IS PERMACULTURE?

Permaculture is an ethically based whole-systems design approach that uses concepts, principles, and methods derived from ecosystems, indigenous peoples, and other time-tested systems to create human settlements and institutions. It’s also been called “saving the planet while throwing a better party.”

Upon successful completion of this course, graduates will be able to:

- Assess the sustainability of current design systems and practices;

- Define permaculture ethics and the principles of sustainability;

- Employ natural patterns as a design tool in a wide variety of contexts;

- Understand basic soil ecology and implement composting methods;

- Design simple water harvesting systems, from home to broadacre scale;

- Define and design “guilds” or constructed plant communities;

- Understand local food issues and the importance of localization;

- Translate ecological principles to a variety of social, economic, and educational settings;

- Employ best practices for starting and sustaining intentional communities and Ecovillages;

- Apply permaculture methods to educational curriculum design and the creation of school garden programs.

 <http://santacruzpermaculture.com/education/permaculture-design-course/> Click here for more info and to register

cid:87A86DE9-1AAF-4B55-851C-1294FFFB7E41 at hsd1.ca.comcast.net

--

David Shaw