[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Lots of good going on - Lots to do this Saturday August 26th

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Thu Aug 24 09:11:56 PDT 2017

Hello SLO Permaculture Guild,

This Saturday, August 26th is a big day! WE NEED YOU!

(PLUS scroll down for more big news about events in September and October!!)

First – Mulch Party at our City Farm plot Our Global Family Village from 10am – 12noon. 1221 Calle Joaquin Road. We need “many hands make light work” to cover pathways with mulch. If you have a pickup truck please go to City of SLO Construction Yard at 25 Prado Road in the morning between 8am – 12noon to get a load for free and haul it over to the farm. Then go back and get a load for yourself to take home!!! To get to City Farm off of Los Osos Valley Road take Calle Joaquin Rd. north beyond Alfano Motors to the cud-de-sac. Drive onto the farm road to the center of the fields where the small sheds are to park.

Second - SLO Seed Exchange is hosting a free community seed harvest Saturday August 26 from 1-3pm at the SLO City/County library community room on Palm St.  We’ll set up tarps, fans, screens and other simple equipment to harvest and clean dry seeds.  You can see some examples of dry seeds in the picture below - coriander (cilantro) on the left, kids with beans on the right, arugula and miscellaneous in the bottom image.  We’ve listed some examples of good plants (self-pollinating) for beginning seedsavers.  If you have seeds ready to harvest, make sure you write down the variety, botanical name, seed source, and year seeds were grown.  EXAMPLE:  Cayenne pepper, Capsicum annuum, (your name), 2017  ++  If you have grown and saved the seed of that variety for 15 years, say that.  Native plant seeds and flowers and grains are welcome!  You don’t need to bring seeds and you are welcome if you just want to learn about the process.

What to bring:  Look around your kitchen or shop for simple pans, bowls, sieves, screens like broiler pans with holes or window screens that can be used to separate seeds from other plant matter.  Bring a standard envelope for  your seeds.  Bring extra envelopes to swap your seeds.  Leftover clean seeds can be donated to our collection that is visually checked and repackaged for the county library branches with seed catalogs. Bring pens or markers.

Wet seed harvest:  Cindy Jelinek will demonstrate several ways to harvest tomato and pepper seeds.  We’ll talk about cucumbers and others, but the library community room is not the best place for wet seed harvests.  The image below is a jpg that you are free to post on Facebook or send to friends.  See you there.

Elizabeth     & Cindy

805-543-5364    805-929-3589

Third – Open House at Branch Mill Organic Farm in Arroyo Grande - The next Fire + Potluck + Music Jam aka “the Gathering” will be on Saturday August 26 - in extension of our Open House Day here on the farm. During the day we have an expanded farm stand (with samples and more ) and from 4-5pm Mark offers a free Kundalini Yoga introduction class.

The potluck and fire begins at 5 and the jam is open to any delightful song, poem, story and/or instrument you can think of.

Also friends of friends are welcome! This would be a good occasion to introduce a friend to the coziness of the Gathering!

August 26:

1-4pm Farm Stand

4-5pm Community yoga class w/ Mark Davis

5-8pm Potluck & Jam

Branch Mill Organic Farm, 2815 Branch Mill Rd. Arroyo Grande, 93420

August 29th - The Power of Prayer
Global Synchronized Drum Circle
With Standing Rock Wisdom Keepers

Where:

Burning Man, Black Rock Desert, Nevada,
USA 8:15 on the Esplanade

When:

August 29th at 6:30pm PST

Join the Live Broadcast:
 <http://unify.acemlnb.com/lt.php?s=1aeb7f7c392e80d9a41b50f072bf05e4&i=262A522A2A116234> Register Here

THE POWER OF PRAYER creates a sacred space for the Standing Rock spirit to be present at Burning Man. We are inviting the global movement to the temporary metropolis of Black Rock City, created by more than 70,000 people who come together to reach a peak human experience.

On Tuesday, August 29th at 6:30 PM at 8:15 and Esplanade, we will gather in a drum circle around sacred fire, where tribal beats will amplify across Burning Man's best sound-system through the well-known art car Mayan Warrior, joining us all the way from Mexico City. The drumming prayer circle will be streamed out over synchronized prayer platform by Unify, who has a reach of over 16 million people. At 7:00 PM, we will come into prayer led by wisdom keepers.

At the heart of the vision is our commitment to support cultural restoration and the provision of grants to create cultural artifacts, including teepees, traditional seating and drums. We wish to encourage creative tribal participation on many levels, and facilitate a space for First Nations representatives.

We invite the world to join us in person at Burning Man, or to create and participate in a local prayer drum circle, where we share a single moment of focused intention. Together, we pray for good health and better understanding. We pray for deep listening. We pray for unity, peace, and love. We pray for Mother Earth.

SUPPORT THE GLOBAL DRUM PRAYER:
Visit -->  <http://unify.acemlnb.com/lt.php?s=1aeb7f7c392e80d9a41b50f072bf05e4&i=262A522A2A116234> www.GlobalDrumPrayer.com

September 9th is a Poultry Sale at Templeton Feed with the Central Coast Feather Fanciers (see attached flyer) and an Egg Show in October (flyer attached)

CA Rare Fruit Growers meeting on September 9th is about Soil Health with Tm & Judelon LaSalle

Event:

Tim and Judelon LaSalle welcome the CRFG CC Chapter to an afternoon of a: New Paradigm for Soil Health!

We will learn about:
Why keep your soil covered? What do cover crops accomplish? Tour examples of winter and summer cover crops and learn what they do for your soil. Also, explore why fertilizers are not needed in most all-farming operations and how they degrade soils over time. Additionally, view four different kinds of composting systems from traditional anaerobic to aerobic and from conventional to biodynamic and what is created by these systems. Explore how the right biology can provide everything the plant needs. Has our traditional university training impaired our view of what soils are as a living biome? Why are the most progressive modern farmers developing programs to feed their soils and not their plants? This is an opportunity to step into the realm of regenerative agriculture that goes beyond conventional or organic principles and directly addresses four of the world’s largest challenges; hunger, water, soil loss, and climate change.

Location:

 <https://www.google.com/maps/dir/14625+Sandoval+Rd,+Atascadero,+CA+93422/35.4342073,-120.6074063/@35.4298009,-120.6330827,3037m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x80ecebefbde1ee5b:0xc2afdef427240d46!2m2!1d-120.606974!2d35.433347!1m0> 14625 Sandoval Road, Atascadero, CA

Time:

1 p.m.: Refreshments and socializing.
1:30 p.m.: Meeting begins.

Bring:

Please bring a folding chair.
Wear appropriate footwear, a hat, and sunscreen.

AND

Program Soil not Oil Wed Sept 8- Sat Sept 9 Richmond CA
Please share - Register - Get involved)
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2017-soil-not-oil-international-conference-tickets-33867803512?aff=eac2

Join us for an incredible learning/organizing experience!
It has been a lot of work, but here is the (almost) FULL PROGRAM
Soil Not Oil
Regenerative Agriculture & Socio-Ecological Justice to Heal the Earth
International Environmental Conference

--------------

PLUS Healthy Soils Program grants now available

California’s much anticipated Healthy Soils Program officially launched yesterday with the release of the first  <http://calclimateag.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f573714ed93e8a8fc2ef5d827&id=055b0a014e&e=bb4489c2e4> Request for Grant Applications (RGA) by the California Department of Agriculture (CDFA). The deadline for applications is 5pm on September 19th.

The first of its kind in the country, the program will provide grants to farmers and ranchers for implementing on-farm practices that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and/or store carbon in soil, trees and shrubs. Types of practices that will be eligible include the addition of mulch and compost, cover cropping, reduced tillage, and the planting of herbaceous and woody plants such as windbreaks, hedgerows, riparian plantings, filter strips, silvopasture and more.

Now for some more big news….. October 6th & 7th is the Growing Edible Education Symposium for our school gardens and local Farm to School movement and on Sunday, October 8th is the first annual Fall Harvest Festival at City Farm. Flyers are attached and see below for more information about getting involved:

After three years of managing the agricultural and educational activities at City Farm San Luis Obispo, our non-profit, Central Coast Grown <http://centralcoastgrown.org/>  will hold its first annual Fall Harvest Festival on Sunday October 8 from 1 to 5 p.m.

We invite your organization to join in the festivities by having a table or booth and speaking about your group during the program.  We’re also asking for your help in spreading the word about the event in advance.

To learn more about the Fall Harvest Festival, become a sponsor and be included in future publicity, please scroll down in this email or go directly to the event website, http://centralcoastgrown.org/events-page/

For any questions, email  <mailto:steven.marx at centralcoastgrown> steven.marx at centralcoastgrown or phone or text  <tel:(805)%20783-0401> 805 783-0401.

_____________________________________

The first purpose of the Fall Harvest Festival is to invite people to learn about and enjoy City Farm SLO, at the Calle Joaquin Agricultural Reserve, a 17 acre site located along Highway 101 between Los Osos Valley and Madonna roads. The property is owned by the City of SLO, which selected Central Coast Grown as its manager.  The Reserve was created by the City in 1994 in accordance with SLO residents’ goal to maintain our heritage by preserving some exceptionally fertile farmland within City limits for the public benefit.

Another purpose of the event is to raise funds which will enable Central Coast Grown to continue staffing onsite educational programs. These include

·      The City Farm School Project, which for the last three years has offered a year-long class, “Farm,” at Pacific Beach Continuation High School. It provides academic credit and hands-on instruction in agricultural activities, food preparation, nutrition, and food system issues

·      The Horticultural Therapy Project for the PREPARE program provides twice-weekly sessions of farm and garden activities onsite for developmentally disabled young adults

·      The projects of Our Global Family: weekend farming experiences for elementary school age children and their families, as well as “Farm Girls Summer Camp.” <https://www.flickr.com/gp/153287402@N04/vPrjwP>  Now in its second year, this weeklong day-camp is organized by CCG collaborator, Teresa Lees, in connection with the SLO Permaculture Guild

·      And this year, just preceding the Festival on October 6 &7, City Farm will welcome 100 statewide attendees at the GEE (Growing Edible Education) Symposium hosted by the SLO County Office of Education and the SLO County Food System Coalition ( <https://www.geesymposium.org/> https://www.geesymposium.org/).

The festival is also intended to showcase and distribute produce grown on site by City Farm’s independent tenant farmers, Javier Magana of Red Barn Farms, Michael Huggins of Dacite Farm, and Ryan Brantley.  They will be on hand to offer tours of their varied operations and to present opportunities for participation in harvest and planting activities. Local chefs and students will prepare food grown at the farm in cooking demonstrations.

Finally, the purpose of the Fall Harvest Festival is to bring together the many individuals and organizations who share a commitment to local sustainable urban agriculture to collaborate and celebrate our shared mission with the entire community.  We would be honored to have you join us.

To confirm your participation, be included in future publicity, and help defray the event’s costs, please fill out the space reservation form here, <http://centralcoastgrown.org/drupal/index.php?q=civicrm/contribute/transact&reset=1&id=3>  on our website by September 7 2017.

More Permaculture News here:

Ali Sharif - Permacultura Latina America

 <http://www.suesupriano.com/article.php?&id=19> http://www.suesupriano.com/article.php?&id=19

Steppin’ Out of Babylon Radio Interviews with Sue Supriano

Nice interview with Ali Sharif, permaculture pioneer who died recently, about the breadth of his work in the Amazon & Latin America.  We will miss him!  Met him in Croatia at the first International Permaculture convergence (IPC) we attended, he went on to convene the next IPC in Brazil in 2007, linking us firmly into the future.  He just visited Santa Barbara recently this year, for a short but sweet one day visit.  Ali, we were so happy to have shared time with you…

Job at Quail Springs

Position opening at  <https://www.facebook.com/QuailSpringsPermaculture/?ref=gs&fref=gs&hc_location=group_member_profile> Quail Springs Permaculture
Permaculture Food Systems Coordinator:
Quail Springs high desert Permaculture education and demonstration site in Southern California is looking for an inspired person with a permaculture background to oversee food systems; including the annual and perennial gardens and the animal systems, and integrate with our educational programs and internships. The coordinator will be working with a team of 4-6 residents and interns who run the farm on a daily basis. We are seeking a coordinator with a big picture vision to help update our overall design, improve systems, work closely with the farm team, and support the greater mission and endeavors of the nonprofit organization and community.
 <https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quailsprings.org%2Ffarm-manager%2F&h=ATPRClUAq_eueAW1six0oaPhw-t5yYM3Q6sg49s4hqSgNpR_7MmyeXaIS-yDRQK5YVPLGGUE-YmJCVDt6oGwOicLOh-s18ZmAaIbN00Le6fmHD5AoyMSdhDdqyoyC8oJZKQLKCfE23G19j0Of2X2KPbY7GYZBw&enc=AZNy057cShH32mDU7GfgdXkVk2U8A-C7d86AGX-K9rm2p-xsfV2ppSFEVPGPhe6_A41L2EGkXNOgpxYe4B9i-ESCkZoD2fL7nkynGIomEjy4EPSObRz9OzrDG9nOu3PgXbh1XeuUXJe_nL2mYuNrO6a00M9NLAWHO5gX6Tg3-5fd87HMJUFGTJRX6vxk7FKPKY0&s=1> http://www.quailsprings.org/farm-manager/

Sustainable Living Tour in SoCal October 1 – 12 -  <http://bit.ly/2ftU3Nq> Apply to Join

Do you have friends who are ready to explore the permaculture movement? We've created a 12 day traveling retreat to our favorite eco-communities in Southern California for those ready to do the personal work, learn about local ecology and start a project of their own: The Sustainable Living Tour <http://bit.ly/2ftU3Nq> .

This journey is a potent life transition for 30 aspiring changemakers to explore the earth together on a 1980s hot pink biofuel and solar powered bus. You will be supported through collective healing work and empowerment to step into your true potential and use your gifts for good. We welcome you to create life-long friendships as you learn how to build soil, grow food, build with earth, start your own project and understand the basics of permaculture design: Learn More <http://bit.ly/2ftU3Nq>

Inline image 3