[Central Coast CA Permaculture] September & October Permaculture events for the Fall Harvest of 2017

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Sun Sep 10 21:41:08 PDT 2017

Hello Permaculture People,

The next two months are filled with many great opportunities for our
permaculture community to come together and honor the land, to honor people,
and to honor our natural resources. Please join in with other likeminded
permaculture individuals and organizations. The SLO Permaculture Guild is
dedicated to holding space for community members to share knowledge, build
support and co-create the solutions for an abundant future that honors
indigenous wisdom.

Uniting our group are the three permaculture ethics: Care for the Earth,
Care for People, and Share the Wealth.

September 17 - Soil Harmonics Introduction to Soil Ecosystems with Amanda
Smith

3:30pm - 5pm - New Office Grand Opening at 225 Ocean Ave, Cayucos. Food,
wine & gifts.

What is an ecosystem and what does it mean to build one? Everything we need
comes from the soil, so beginning with the land we live on is key to
creating any successful ecosystem. www.soilharmonics.com

September 23 - Community Work Day at Our Global Family Farm at City Farm SLO

10am - 2pm at 1221 Calle Joaquin Road in SLO

We are replanting the herb garden in the European section of the farm.
Please bring a couple of herbs from the attached list so they can planted as
a hedgerow along the northwestern section of Our Global Family Village. Our
Global Family Village is a project of the SLO Permaculture Guild. We really
need PEOPLE to come and help prep the garden for the field trip on October
6th and the October 8th Harvest Festival at City Farm. We also are going to
mulch the pathways in the four quadrants of the garden which showcase food
crops from the four corners of the globe.

September 23 - Selection & Propagation of Native Plant Seeds at the
Botanical Garden

1pm -3pm with John Chesnut.  This is our last in the 2017 Seedsaving
Workshops.  $15. For more information contact Elizabeth Johnson at
stteresa at kcbx.net

Saturday 9/23 - Sunday 9/24 - Heirloom Tomato Festival Weekend

2 days of Tomato Tasting, Farm Tours & Fabulous Food!

Tickets available online from Farmstead Ed: https://farmsteaded.com/

September 30 - Cob Wall Construction at The Lavra

9am - 3pm

This workshop is the second part of a workshop we held on July 1st in which
we built a cob wall in a day, though you need not have attended the first
workshop to join us at the end of this month! For those who don't know, Cob
is a traditional building style similar to adobe that is comprised of sand,
clay, straw, and water; in the ideal, it uses local materials indigenous to
the site and provides lasting and strong buildings.  To finish the wall, we
will use the same mixture, though in a slightly different way.  The workshop
is limited to 30 people and during the hands-on demonstration, we will coat
the wall, add decorations, and work on an adjacent cob oven.

Our guide is an internationally known workshop leader in sustainable
building, "Cob" Betty Seaman.  For those who didn't meet her in July, she is
a wonderful teacher and kind person.  She has taught in some of the most
well-known sustainable building schools in the world and lives in a cob
village near Los Olivos. We could not be more excited to have her share with
us her passion for Cob.

The workshop is free, though we hope people will be willing to voluntarily
contribute $10-20 each to share with Betty for her time and wisdom.

We hope that this will be an exciting beginning to a series on alternative
building practices over the coming years.  We hope in the future to do
workshops on sandbag building, live roofs, strawbale, and rammed earth. We
see our workshops as a public service that over time will build a reservoir
of knowledge in the county and contribute to making the Central Coast a
leader in alternative and sustainable building.

To reserve a spot, please contact us at thelavra at gmail.com.   The Lavra is
located in Corbett Canyon, between SLO and Arroyo Grande.  We will have a
potluck lunch during the workshop.  If you have any questions, please do not
hesitate to contact us.

SEPTEMBER 30 - 6TH ANNUAL HARVEST PARTY at Branch Mill Organic Farm

2pm - 7pm

We'd welcome an appetizer to share and BYOB. Local band "To Wake You: Mark
Davis & Karoline Hausted" will play from 2-3pm and The Mighty Croon Dogs
will play from 3pm to dusk. Lots of luscious food from the farm!

2815 Branch Mill Road

Arroyo Grande, CA 93420

RSVP with Ruth Madocks  805-481-9205

October 6 & 7 - Growing Edible Education Symposium at Rancho El Chorro
Conference Center

Friday 8am - 6pm --- Field Trips and Chef Cook-off

Saturday 8am - 5pm --- Workshops/Panelists/Networking Expo

This important event brings together schools and organizations that support
the farm to school, and school garden efforts in Santa Barbara, Ventura and
San Luis Obispo counties. The GEE Symposium unites diverse stakeholders such
as schools, outside agencies, and farm businesses to promote and support
Farm to School activities. The GEE Symposium is packed full of field trips
to SLO County school gardens, farms, and agricultural enterprises. Register
until end of September:  https://www.geesymposium.org/register-now

Facebook invite: https://www.facebook.com/events/878728892280033/

October 8th - First Annual Harvest Festival at City Farm

1pm - 5pm - $5 entry fee

The purpose of the Fall Harvest Festival is to bring together the many
individuals and organizations who share a commitment to local sustainable
urban agriculture to collaborate and celebrate our shared mission with the
entire community.  We would be honored to have you join us. Facebook invite:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1943029535973365/?ref=6
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1943029535973365/?ref=6&ref_notif_type=plan
_user_invited&action_history=null>
&ref_notif_type=plan_user_invited&action_history=null

Central Coast Grown website: http://centralcoastgrown.org/events-page/

October 8 - Favorite Rare Fruits for SLO County with California Rare Fruit
Growers

1pm -  3pm - Presentation is $5 for Garden members / $10 public / FREE for
CRFG members.

The Central Coast of California is known for its mellow climate and robust
agriculture, but what are some unique and delicious fruits that

are right for your home garden? Join us at the Garden to hear from members
of the California Rare Fruit Growers (CRFG) as they share

their favorite fruits and how to grow them on the central coast without a
greenhouse! Enjoy refreshments and mingling with CRFG members

with the presentation starting at 1:30, followed by a free docent-led tour
of the garden at 2:30 PM.

No preregistration required. For more information visit www.slobg.org/fruit

October 14 - Soil Harmonics talk with Amanda Smith and Cristy Christie "It
All Starts With the Soil"

3:30pm - 5pm at 225 Ocean Ave, Cayucos

This talk gets into all the amazing magical science details of the life in
the soil and how it instinctively cooperates together to create health and
balance below ground, at ground level and above the ground. Amanda and
Christy make understanding the soil food web easy, fund and entertaining.

October 21 - Sally Fox talk to Central Coast Weavers' Guild and SLO Seed
Exchange in Atascadero

10am - 12:30pm at The Barn in Atascadero.  Sally grows cotton & wool for
fiber art on her biodynamic farm, is  a renowned heritage wheat grower in
Capay Valley, and is a renowned organic colored cotton breeder.  Contact
Elizabeth Johnson for more information at stteresa at kcbx.net

October 28 - Blessing of Mother Corn at Our Global Family Village at City
Farm

10am - 12noon

We will be celebrating Indigenous Peoples traditions to Honor Mother Corn &
the Fall Harvest Season

This event allows us to bless the food that nourishes us as a community and
to honor indigenous peoples who have carried plant knowledge forward for
generations. This multicultural gathering spot at City Farm allows us to all
come together as one big family to grow food together and to learn about one
another's food culture, horticulture, agriculture and permaculture.

Check out the new website: https://treelees.wixsite.com/website

October 29 - The Chumash Kitchen, The Acorn Awakening

8:30am - 1pm with Violet Cavanaugh and Jeanette Acosta

Fall is a time to harvest, store, and prepare for the coming winter. Join us
this fall as we reconnect with the local environment, the season, and your
health during the fall Chumash Kitchen offering with Chumash chefs and
herbalists, Violet Cavanaugh and Jeanette Acosta. This offering will leave
you nourished, connected, and grateful for the gifts of nature.

Violet and Jeanette will share the autumn practices of collecting,
processing and transforming acorns into several modern and traditional
recipes, paired with other fall flavors. After breakfast, you'll take a
short hike up to visit the traditional Chumash grinding stones, discovering
the native plants and sacred space. The beautifully prepared lunch will
again feature flavors of the season. You'll develop a deeper relationship
with the oak trees, enjoy a wide selection of prepared wild edibles while
learning new methods for incorporating more indigenous foods into modern
dishes and your life.  Please wear shoes appropriate for the short hike.
Pre-registry is REQUIRED for this intimate offering.

NEW OFFERING! Pre-Prep Day  on Friday October 27 from 10am - 1pm, join
Jeanette and Violet in the kitchen at the SLO Botanical Garden to learn and
help process acorns and other wild foods in preparation for the Sunday
offering. You'll learn how to roast and grind acorns, and collection and
harvesting techniques. This hands-on and in-depth work-trade is offered for
an additional $25 and is open to the first ten people who select the
pre-prep day in the sliding scale PayPal drop-down menu.

Details and sign up here:

http://slobg.org/Chumash-Kitchen/

Added bonus: Amazing Grains with Larry Kandarian interview on Sustainable
World Radio host Jill Cloutier

http://sustainableworldradio.com/amazing-grains-with-larry-kandarian/#
<http://sustainableworldradio.com/amazing-grains-with-larry-kandarian/>

Episode 141: Larry Kandarian is an organic farmer and ancient grain
advocate. In this episode, Larry takes us on a whirlwind tour of Kandarian
Organic Farms where he grows over 200 varieties of plants. As you'll hear in
the interview, Larry is a man with a mission- growing the most ancient and
nutrient-dense grains he can find and providing the world with alternatives
to modern wheat.

I first became aware of Larry and his work when I saw an ad for a talk he
was giving at our local seed swap entitled, "Ancient Guy Talks About Old
Grains." When I read that, I knew I wanted to interview him!

Larry Kandarian has been farming for over 25 years. A former mechanical
engineer, who worked on the Space Shuttle, Larry is now committed to growing
ancient grains in the most ecological way possible.

Respectfully yours,

Teresa Lees

SLO Permaculture Guild