[Central Coast CA Permaculture] growing our permaculture community

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Wed Jan 17 10:39:01 PST 2018

Hello Permaculture Community,

Building and growing community is one of the most resilient things we can do
in these tumultuous times find ourselves in.

We collectively are purging the old ways of being and transforming them into
more permaculture ways of being where we care for the earth, care for all
people (and all living things) on the earth, and to share in the abundance!

Locally there are so many ways to be part of our permaculture community.
Please "be the change you want to see in the world" and show up:

1.       City Farm Monthly Work Parties - we will continue to host monthly
work parties out on the farm on the second Saturday, 9am - 12noon. We had a
great work party on January 13th. Check out all the details of the work
party here:
http://centralcoastgrown.org/2018/01/january-13-work-party-deer-fence-constr
uction/

City Farm is a project of the non-profit Central Coast Grown. CCG creates
strong connections among farmers, the public and the land to nourish our
community, support local agriculture, and make local food products
accessible for all. The work we do benefits educational programs such as
Farm Class with Pacific Beach High School, PREPARE program for disabled
adults and field trips for school groups.

February 10th - Food Forest work party with Josh Carmichael 9am - 12noon

Other dates: March 10th, April 14th, May 12th,  June 9th, July 14th, August
11th, September 8th, October 13th, November 10th, December 8th

Permaculture Potlucks are at 12noon at these work parties. Come be part of
the local permaculture community by hanging out together on the farm and
share food and fun. Great way to network with other permaculturalists.

2.       Our Global Family Farm Spring Equinox - March 24th at City Farm
11am - 5pm Donation Based ($10) event to help bring electricity to the farm
for future events as well as for the outdoor kitchen area.

This gathering will be a collective work where we gather as a community that
would love to Create the Kind of World We Want to see. Regenerating the
Earth through Regenerative Agriculture, creating conscious ecosystems for
food and health - both for our inner landscapes and outer landscapes. - live
music, live art, workshops, and healing throughout the day - Flyer is
attached and updated flyer to come! Also please bring a culinary or
medicinal herb to add to the Community Herb Garden. (Sorry, not cannabis!)

Another event at Our Global Family Farm will be the 3rd Annual FARMGIRLS
Summer Camp on June 26-29, 2018. This is a super fun time for girls to come
together on the farm to be empowered by one another. We cultivate farm
crops, cook outdoors, do nature crafts and sing songs. Registration is now
open: http://www.permaculture.us.com/farmgirls/farmgirls-summer-camp

3.       SLO Guild Hall Sustainability

Ecologistics is proud to announce that their newest sponsored organization
is SLO Guild Hall Sustainability, the fundraising arm of the San Luis Obispo
Guild Hall.   The vision of the SLO Guild Hall is to respect and honor the
Earth and each other, cultivate healthy food systems, and embrace cultural
and ecological diversity with a spirit of generosity and gratitude.  SLO
Guild Hall has a mission to be sustainable in regard to water harvesting,
ground water aquifer recharge, passive conditioning of its hall, 100%
electrical generation on site and appropriate landscape design.   SLO Guild
Hall Sustainability was formed to support efforts to upgrade the SLO Guild
Hall to meet these sustainability goals. Ken Haggard of SLO Sustainability
Group is working on the design of the project, which will be completed in
phases.

Donations can be made to SLO Guild Hall Sustainability by check payable to
Ecologistics and sent to 4349 Old Santa Fe Road, #6, San Luis Obispo, CA
93401 or on Ecologistic's web site: https://ecologistics.org/donate/

Rock & Roll Party February 24th - Also there will be fundraiser event for
the SLO Guild Hall Sustainability efforts on February 24th. PARTY!!!

4.       Chumash Kitchen event - Winter Health & the Trinity Plants:
Saturday, February 3, from 8:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Discover the surprising bounty of winter foods on the central coast and
learn how to integrate healing herbs into your diet to ward off seasonal
colds. Join us this winter as we reconnect with the local environment, the
season, and your health during the winter Chumash Kitchen offering with
Chumash chefs and herbalists, Violet Cavanaugh and Jeanette Acosta. This
offering will leave you nourished, connected, and grateful for the gifts of
nature. You'll develop a deeper relationship with the native plants, enjoy a
wide selection of prepared wild edibles, while learning new methods for
incorporating more indigenous foods into modern dishes and your life. We
will even enjoy tea-time with roses. Pre-registry is REQUIRED for this
intimate offering. http://slobg.org/chumash-kitchen/

5.       Composting Bioreactor Intensive - Join us at Orella Ranch, Sunday,
January 28th, 10am-4pm to explore how regeneration of soil microbial
communities in agroecosystems can improve farm productivity, soil fertility,
and system water-use efficiency and to learn how to build these low-cost
minimal-labor bioreactors on your farm, ranch or at your home.

Molecular biologist at New Mexico State University, David Johnson is
unraveling the "secrets of soil microbes". The Composting Bioreactor, that
he and his wife developed in their research, pumps out a uniquely biodiverse
and fungal-dominant compost product, that when used in their experimental
plots, by inoculating with just a few hundred pounds per acre of this
compost, are showing restored soil fertility with extraordinary plant
biomass growth and regenerated soil microbial diversity. $50 - $75 fee. Get
your tickets online here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/composting-bioreactor-intensive-with-david-john
son-nmsu-tickets-41980434610

6.       Seed Savings Swap in SB Sunday January 28th 1:30pm - 4:00pm at
Trinity Gardens http://www.sbpermaculture.org/events.html

Join us for the 10th Annual Santa Barbara Community Seed Swap at a brand new
location! This year at the beautiful Trinity Gardens, with both indoor and
outdoor space, for lots of seed sharing activities, children welcome.

Hundreds attend every year, sharing seeds and knowledge with other backyard
gardeners, plant lovers, beekeepers and farmers. Come be a part of this
seed-saving movement, making sure that locally adapted seed & plants are
passed on to future generations. Special speakers, children activities &
live music!

Local groups will have plant and seed related exhibits. Many sharing
valuable seed saving techniques that encourage local gardeners to grow out
and harvest some of their best seeds for future gardens and seed swaps,
making us a truly food secure community. Seed-saving is a fun and easy way
to connect to the circle of life. The Real Food Hero award this year goes to
Jerry Sortomme, former chair of SB City College Environmental Horticulture
Department. Picnic lunch with Jerry at 12:30pm. Please kindly RSVP if you're
able to join:

Judy Sims, judygardens at gmail.com 805-637-3201

7.       Regenerating the Earth & Spirit at Sunburst Sanctuary - March 9-11,
2018

Do you crave a greater sense of connection with the earth? Do you feel too
separate from nature, or wonder how you can better align your life with
natural rhythms? This down-to-earth, family-friendly retreat is the perfect
opportunity for people of all ages to learn ways to connect and co-create
with Mother Nature. Sunburst's resident permaculture teacher Sean Fennell
will lead a hands-on exploration of soil building, composting, and following
nature's patterns in preparation for springtime growth. Explore symbiotic
relationships in nature, seasonal cycles, and natural patterns. Reserve your
spot online: http://sunburst.org/earth/

Teresa Tree Lees - SLO Permaculture Guild