[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Show some love to the land & the ocean for Valentine's Day

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Sun Feb 4 10:53:04 PST 2018

Dear Community,

We are so blessed with amazing land and nature here along the Central Coast.
We love the land. We love the oceans. And we must tend to them both. And we
must protect that which we love.

This message was brought to the large group of people who gathered at the
SLO Botanical Garden yesterday for the Chumash Kitchen event. Violet
Cavanaugh, Jeannette Acosta, Rosemary and also Fred Collins led us through a
heartfelt connection to the plants that nourish us, to the medicine wisdom
that plants possess and to the deep realization that we need to build a
relationship with plants over time. And Josh Carmichael was honored as the
guest chef. It was a wonderful way to share community around a bountiful
harvest and beautiful meal.

It is time to reunite with the land. Please join us and put these SLO
Permaculture Guild events on your calendar. Other community events are
included below as well.

February 10 - Community work party at City Farm: 9am - 12noon. Potluck lunch
at 12noon.

Together we growing our permaculture community by growing food and building
a gathering space out at City Farm. Come be part of this community project.
Work Party on the second Saturday 9am - 12noon with a potluck to follow.
Together we can regenerate the land, our planet, and each other. Join us for
our Valentine's month workday to help us lovingly plant new fruit trees &
perennial crops in the food forest beds. In the food forest we'll show how
to combine bare root fruit trees with an understory of edible vines, herbs,
flowers, and bulbs to create a no-till, year-round food production garden.
We'll also install drip irrigation, mulching, and gopher protection.

Families (All ages) welcome, please bring gloves and a water bottle. Wear
protective shoes, dress for varying winter weather (cold, wet, to full sun)
and enjoy a day on the farm.

Last month's work party succeeded in completing our 330 foot-long seven foot
high deer fence.  (For a full report, see
http://centralcoastgrown.org/2018/01/january-13-work-party-deer-fence-constr
uction/ )

https://www.facebook.com/events/199837697232434/

March 24 - Restore and Renew Spring Equinox gathering at Our Global Family
Village at City Farm: 11am - 5pm
- Peace Through Coexistence & Our Global Family Village present Renew and
Restore Spring Equinox Gathering -

This gathering will be a collective work where we gather as a cOMmunity that
would love to create the Kind of World we want to see. Regenerating the
earth through regenerative agriculture, creating conscious ecosystems for
food and health - both for our inner landscapes and outer landscapes. Our
intention is to unite central coast locals, get grounded in mother earths
blessings, set our intentions/ plant our seeds for the season, and share the
land with you all.
LIVE MUSIC / LIVE ART / YOGA/ PERMACULTURE WORKSHOPS / COMMUNITY POTLUCK / &
MORE
Suggested Donation - $10
( this will help raise money to get electricity on the land for future
events and support community permaculture )

No automatic alt text available.

https://www.facebook.com/events/832076970315876/

June 26-29, 2018 FARMGIRLS Summer Camp: 8am - 12noon Tuesday - Friday

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp is Girl Power for our Future Food System!  FARMGIRLS
Summer Camp is held at Our Global Family Farm, a permaculture demonstration
site located at City Farm SLO. It features food crops and indigenous food
cropping systems from the four corners of the globe. FARMGIRLS Summer Camp
will include farming, cooking, eating, making crafts, singing and nature
hikes. The FARMGILRS summer camp is a place where women and girls of all
ages can learn about how to grow food in an ecological approach that follows
the ethics of permaculture: care for the earth, care for one another, and
share the abundance.  Together we can create a food system that is
Regenerative, Healthy, Local, and Resilient. Let's share the love of the
land with young people, in this case, young women & girls. Let some families
know about this upcoming summer camp. Registration is now open:
http://www.permaculture.us.com/farmgirls/farmgirls-summer-camp

Show some love for our oceans too:

Protect our coast from off shore oil drilling!

On Feb. 3rd there was a meeting and film screening sponsored by our local
Sierra Club and Surfrider Foundation on how to protest against Trump's plans
of opening California waters to off-shore drilling. The effects of this
decision would be devastating to our oceans and coastal communities. Here
are actions you can do to help:

1. Attend the Coastal Commission Meeting on Wed., Feb. 7th at 9am in Cambria
at the Cambria Pines Lodge to support the commission as they consider a
draft letter to Interior Secretary Zinke to be delivered the next day in
Sacramento. If you can't make it to Sacramento, this meeting is the best
place to be heard.

2. Thursday, Feb. 8th - March in Sacramento at 1:30 at the State Capitol.
This is right before the only public federal meeting on Trump's plan for
off-shore drilling in California. A bus will be leaving from Santa Barbara
at 6am ( this was the closest they could get a bus to SLO). Questions on the
rally: Blake Kopcho: bkopcho at biologicaldiversity.org or 805-708-3435.

3. Attend the Chumash Heritage National Marine Sanctuary meeting on
Saturday, March 17 at 1 pm at the Chumash Auditorium at Cal Poly. The
designation of a marine sanctuary forbids all oil and gas exploration within
the sanctuary.

4. Leave comments at these sites: http://savethecoast.org or
www.regulations.gov (search BOEM-2017-0074 and fill out the form. Comments
are due by March 8th.

February 13 - Ocean Friendly Garden Training with Surfriders Foundation: 6pm
- 8pm Libertine Brewing Company

Ocean Friendly Garden Principles

- Create healthy, living soil

- Retain rainwater

- Install climate-appropriate plants

- Use efficient supplemental irrigation as needed

Our oceans, waves and beaches need you. You don't need to be a Surfrider
Foundation member to come to our meetings (though it's always encouraged).
Stop by and introduce yourself. Mingle, learn something, and take the first
step towards getting involved.

Community Events:

SLO Seed Saver events:

Sunday February 4 - SLO Guild Hall grove from 11:15-1pm - first monthly
meeting of Garden Gatherings
First Sunday every month get-togethers to discuss one selected garden topic,
i.e. pollinators, bee  keeping, seedsaving, etc.  Topic for February 4 is a
discussion about saving seeds. 2880 Broad St, SLO

February 15-17 in Corvallis Oregon - OSA, Organic Seed Alliance, hosts their
9th Organic Seed Growers Conference
Several SLO organic seed people plan to attend.  Check it out at
seedalliance.org/conference

February 22 at 2-4pm - Seed packaging fun at the Morro Bay Library Community
Room - 625 Harbor.  All are welcome!
M.B. is our 6th county seed library branch.

February 22 at Los Osos Library from 6:30-8pm - Elizabeth Johnson talk "Seed
Stories & Basics of Seedsaving."
2075 Palisades Avenue, Los Osos
March 10 at Santa Margarita Library from 4:30-6pm - Elizabeth Johnson talk
"Seed Stories & Basics of Seedsaving."
9630 Murphy Avenue, Santa Margarita

For more information contact Elizabeth Johnson stteresa at kcbx.net

Thursday, February 8th - Morro Bay Science Explorations: "Climate Change and
Rising Seas on the Central Coast": 6 p.m. at the San Luis Obispo Botanical
Gardens. We have all heard the story of climate change. As the global
average temperature rises, the polar icecaps continue to melt and sea level
continues to rise, encroaching on beaches and inundating roads and other
infrastructure. What does this mean for us on the Central Coast of
California? How will our beaches, our well-preserved coastal habitats, our
wildlife, and our communities fare? How do we prepare for the changes and
challenges ahead? Come explore these scientific concepts and engage in the
conversation with experts from across the state. Joanna Wu of Audubon
California will discuss the effects of climate change on bird populations.
Dr. Karen Thorne of USGS will present the results of her study of California
coast tidal marshes and the projected impacts of sea level rise on these
valuable habitats. Dr. Michael R. Boswell of Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo will
speak about mitigation and management of sea level rise locally and across
the state.  Website: http://www.mbnep.org/events/

February 17 & 18th  PictureSLO Guild Hall: 9am - 5pm

Sustainable Agriculture Starts with a Sustainable Business - This two-day
series of interactive workshops will provide new and aspiring farmers with a
solid introduction to the entrepreneurial skills needed to succeed, a
valuable supplement to on-farm experience. Taught by a variety of educators,
business experts and local farmers, this affordable program will provide
upstart agrarians with the basic business tools to prepare you for a career
in agriculture, as well as the peer-to-peer community support to keep you
inspired and on track.

Register here: http://www.farmersguild.org/slo-february-17--18.html

February 17 - CA Rare Fruit Growers Scion Exchange: 1pm at Cal Poly Crops
Unit

On Saturday,  Feb. 17th, we will hold our annual scion exchange where
members and the public are invited to bring their freshly cut fruit tree
"prunings" to share with others.  There will be HUNDREDS of different kinds
of fruit tree scions on the tables... all for free!!!  No citrus!!
However, some top quality unusual avocado scions are coming this year!!
Don't miss this fun event at Cal Poly.

Secondly, there will be a rootstock sale that same day.  We will have  a
wide variety of rootstock for sale that you can buy... take home and
graft... and build your own tree!!  For a small fee, we will "can it up" for
you!!   Bring some $$ or a check.

Third... we will have a STORE open for business, selling all sorts of
grafting supplies and materials.  There will be grafting knives, bird net,
and pheromone loops.tree seal, green garden tape.... all on sale!!!  Bring
your checkbook.

Fourth... Cal Poly students will be there too... selling fresh picked fruits
and vegetables.   We like to support these students by purchasing some of
their products and asking them tough questions about how they grow the
stuff!!

Finally... there will be 4 or 5 or 6 expert grafters.. demonstrating their
favorite graft and answering your questions... all afternoon!!     One of
these expert grafters,  Craig Righetti, will be demonstrating AVOCADO
Grafting only!!    You should go to all of these expert grafters...... watch
and learn to graft... all for free!!!

Where?  Meeting will be at the Crops Unit  (Bldg. 17) at Cal Poly, corner of
Highland and Mt. Bishop Road... right near the RR underpass.  Free parking
on Saturday!!  Come early for best parking.

February 17, 9:30 a.m. - Fungus Foray

(  <http://www.elfin-forest.org/library/oakleaves/archives/2018-02.pdf>
http://www.elfin-forest.org/library/oakleaves/archives/2018-02.pdf )

Join fungophile Dennis Sheridan on a delightful exploration of the Elfin
Forest floor for fascinating mushrooms such as wood bluetts, black elfin
saddles, earthstars, golden caps, boletes, and poisonous amanitas. Dennis
will take us on a trek to the lower oak grove next to the bay to find these
marvelous fungi. Bring a magnifying lens and, if you have a mystery mushroom
in your yard, bring a sample for Dennis to identify. This is not a mushroom
collecting walk. All plants in the Elfin Forest are protected by law. Only a
very heavy rain will cancel the walk. Walks in the Elfin Forest begin at
times stated above at the north end (1100 block) of 15th Street off Santa
Ysabel in Los Osos. Wear comfortable shoes, long sleeves and pants to avoid
poison oak and mosquitoes. Park carefully, avoiding driveways and mailboxes,
and leave pets at home. The easy paced walks last 1-1/2 to 2 hours. For more
information call (805) 528-0392.

February 19th - Savage Grace: Living Resiliently in the Dark Night of the
Globe book club with Linda Seeley

St. Benedict's Episcopal Church on Clark Valley Road in Los Osos: 6:30pm -
8:30pm

We will soon be starting the Savage Grace group! If you are planning to
attend, please respond email Linda Seeley lindaseeley at gmail.com so that she
can keep an accurate count. Based on the work of Joanna Macy. Here is what's
motivating her to do this now, and Linda is sharing it with you here:

"In the course of last fall's retreat, I was seized more than ever by the
conviction that, given the market forces driving the acceleration of
extractive industries, we cannot stop or slow down the unraveling of living
systems without a vitalizing and guiding experience of identity with the
living Earth. We cannot do this by ourselves, only with Her in ongoing
reciprocity. This renewed conviction will characterize my work the remaining
years of my life. Some might find the book depressing. But I believe that
working through its chapters will give us access to resources within
ourselves that we don't even know we have. To be in reciprocal relationship
with our Great Mother is our nature, and that is what we will practice
during our time together." - Joanna Macy

We will also engage in practices from the Work that Reconnects, developed by
Joanna Macy, as a guide during our time together. If you're interested in
learning more about the Work that Reconnects, you can order Coming Back to
Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World, by Joanna Macy and Molly
Young Brown.

Our first meeting will be February 19th from 6:30 to 8:30 at St. Benedict's
Episcopal Church on Clark Valley Road in Los Osos.

Subsequent meetings will be on

March 5th,

March 19th,

April 2nd,

April 16th,

April 30th. (every other week - always at 6:30)

February 26 - The Ecology of Food: From the Field and the Ocean to the Table
- Dr. James Brown

2018 Mind Walk Lecture Series

<http://centralcoastparks.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/2018_Mind_Walks.pdf

http://centralcoastparks.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/2018_Mind_Walks.pdf
Mind Walks offers lectures on topics of interest to residents of the Central
Coast that include cultural history, natural history, and current issues.
All presentations take place at 10:15 am every Monday during the winter
months at the Inn at Morro Bay, 60 State Park Road. Lunch specials available
following lecture. Admission for CCSPA members and CA State Parks docents is
free; others pay $3 per lecture.

Learn how various food products are stored, preserved, and transported from
their points of origin to our tables to ensure quality and freshness. Dr.
Brown will discuss modes of transport and the length of time necessary to
prevent spoilage, and will discuss why Morro Bay did not become an important
fishing port.

Dr. James Brown is a retired ecologist, residing in Morro Bay. He taught at
UCLA and recently retired after 25 years of teaching at the University of
New Mexico.

March 3rd, Meet local candidate Jimmy Paulding!: 2pm - 4 PM

Branch Mill Farm, 2815 Branch Mill Road, Arroyo Grande CA

Jimmy Paulding is a 4th District candidate for the SLO County Board of
Supervisors. The 4th District covers Arroyo Grande, Nipomo, and Oceano.
Jimmy wholeheartedly supports the sustainable growth of small businesses
that benefit the local food economy here in SLO County. At the Meet and
Greet, Jimmy will discuss his background and qualifications as well as
answer your questions and concerns regarding important issues facing our
community.

https://jimmypaulding.org

http://branchmillorganics.com

March 10th, 2015, 4th Annual Women's Symposium: 9A.M. 4 P.M.

San Luis Coastal District Adult School, 1500 Lizzie St., Room J-2, San Luis
Obispo, CA

Women's Symposium Facebook invite:
https://www.facebook.com/events/182785729121094/

Women matter and our sacred gifts and inherent wisdom are needed now, more
than ever, to bring about healing and transformation to our communities and
planet. The divine feminine recognizes our oneness with all things,
especially our precious Mother Earth, and how her wonderment is vital to our
connection with psyche, body, soul and spirit.  The keynote speaker is Nina
Simons, an award-winning social entrepreneur, visionary thinker, Founder of
Everywoman's Leadership and Co-Founder of Bioneers (www.bioneers.org ).

Her theme: "Finding Our Own Regenerative and Purposeful Sweet-Spot - Now,
When It's Needed Most."

HOPEDANCE films with Bob Banner:

WASTED filmMBay Final

Feb 6 (Tuesday) WASTED! about food waste in Morro Bay at Green Lotus Center.
Details, trailer and flyer. Details:
<http://dmanalytics1.com/click?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hopedance.org%2Fevents%2Fe
ventdetail%2F1376&i=4&d=VL_mZ4EvQK60ftwbC-Ok-g&e=treelees%40charter.net&a=Ke
doxBBbRCuEikJmxuWGdw> HERE

Image may contain: text

Feb 8-11 Cambria Film Festival: HERE
<http://dmanalytics1.com/click?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hopedance.org%2Fevents%2Fe
ventdetail%2F1379%2F-%2Fcambria-film-festival&i=5&d=VL_mZ4EvQK60ftwbC-Ok-g&e
=treelees%40charter.net&a=KedoxBBbRCuEikJmxuWGdw>

banking on bitcoin

Feb 16, Friday, 7-9pm BANKING ON BITCOIN with Forrist Lytehaause

See trailer and flyer and bio of Forrist to make this a very exciting
learning experience for all.

Click HERE
<http://dmanalytics1.com/click?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hopedance.org%2Fevents%2Fe
ventdetail%2F1377&i=6&d=VL_mZ4EvQK60ftwbC-Ok-g&e=treelees%40charter.net&a=Ke
doxBBbRCuEikJmxuWGdw>  for details and trailer.

https://db4cfay5jt5m3.cloudfront.net/img/e9899b9d3328d63a59bff7b6b6a3c0a5a52
09586

Feb 20 (Tuesday, 7pm) Film about Big Oil & Whistleblower John Bolenbaugh

as well as many local solutionary activists to be part of the conversation
after the hour long film.

Details HERE
<http://dmanalytics1.com/click?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hopedance.org%2Fevents%2Fe
ventdetail%2F1378&i=7&d=VL_mZ4EvQK60ftwbC-Ok-g&e=treelees%40charter.net&a=Ke
doxBBbRCuEikJmxuWGdw> .

https://db4cfay5jt5m3.cloudfront.net/img/b9d429969b5652aff11614da3435476cee7
d1b5d

March 2 (Friday 7pm) The Animal Communicator with Suzan Vaughn

with some more shorts and conversation, Q&A with local animal communicator
Suzan Vaughn

Details, flyer, trailer HERE
<http://dmanalytics1.com/click?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hopedance.org%2Fevents%2Fe
ventdetail%2F1380%2F&i=8&d=VL_mZ4EvQK60ftwbC-Ok-g&e=treelees%40charter.net&a
=KedoxBBbRCuEikJmxuWGdw>

Save the date for Earth Day celebrations:

April 21st - SLO Earth Day at Laguna Lake - Join us at the 28th annual San
Luis Obispo County Earth Day Fair & Music Festival on Saturday, April 21,
from 11am to 5pm at Laguna Lake Park. Mark the date and invite others for a
day of education, community and fun.

http://earthdayalliance.com/2018/01/2018-join-us/

April 28th - Branch Mill Organic Farm - We are celebrating Mother Earth and
her bounty differently this year. The Spring Festival will focus on
workshops and farm tours related to permaculture and organic farming. Our
other concentration is on the retreat center with yoga and meditation
classes all day. More details coming soon. Stay tuned!

http://branchmillorganics.com/events/

<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/CaliforniaFarmlinkCentralCoast/~3/8BI7VtyV5F
8/farm-manager-opportunity-in-paso-robles.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_med
ium=email> Farm Manager Opportunity in Paso Robles

Windrose Farm

Windrose Farm in Creston is seeking a full-time employee with a desire to
learn and take part in all aspects of its highly-diversified farming
operation. Applicant must have good people and communication skills.
Applicant must also have good driving skills, as one weekly task is
delivering produce to the Santa Monica farmer's market, something which
involves a long shift. Farmers Bill and Barbara will help mentor, but some
experience in and a passion for sustainable agriculture is preferable. This
could be a great on-ramp to succession for the right candidate!

On-site housing is available and long-term options may be considered.
Compensation is based on experience.
Check out  <https://windrosefarm.org/> Windrose Farm online. For more
information, please contact Bill Spencer at: farmerbill63 at gmail.com

Be regenerative!

Teresa Tree Lees, SLO Permaculture Guild