[Central Coast CA Permaculture] community events this week - FARMGIRLS scholarships available

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Mon May 21 09:35:58 PDT 2018

Hello Community,

Last Saturday, May 19th we had an wonderful farm to table event at City
Farm. Here are some photos:
<https://www.facebook.com/CentralCoastGrown/?hc_ref=ARRUECZUbdimsiQVA6Zwh8t4
QxVjgdpzpSG_54WuPvTIgI2_5MqpMdTCwo6miq75o10&fref=nf>

This week we are co-sponsoring the movie, SEED: The Untold Story on
Wednesday. On Saturday there is an amazing program on Peruvian Andes Food
Crops by Amalia Escobar and there is a community grief ritual on Memorial
Weekend.

Wednesday, May 23rd – SEED: The Untold Story movie to be shown at SLO City
Library Community Room at 7pm

Filmmakers will be there for Q&A.  SLO library community room - Palm & Osos
Streets in San Luis Obispo.  Co-sponsored by:  CP Center for Sustainability,
SLO Permaculture, & SLO Seed Exchange.  “Few things on Earth are as
miraculous and vital as seeds.”  SEED features Vandana Shiva, Dr. Jane
Goodall, Andrew Kimbrell, Winona Laduke, Raj Patel, Indigenous Seedkeepers,
Organic Farmers, and others.

Flyer: http://cfs.calpoly.edu/pdfs/events/SEED.pdf

Saturday May 26 from 1-3pm - SLO library community room.  Harvesting the
Sun: Cultivation & Uses of Traditional Peruvian Andes Food Crops – free talk
by Amalia Escobar Galpert.

Community Grief Ritual May 25 – 28 at Loving Earth Sanctuary (PDF document
is attached for more information.)

This powerful restorative Grief Ritual and healing workshop over Memorial
Day weekend draws from the traditional grief rituals of the Dagara tribe of
Burkina Faso, West Africa brought to the West by Dagara healer Sobonfu Somé,
ritual practices from Joanna Macy’s The Work that Reconnects, and the
teachings of grief workers, soul activists and ritualists Francis Weller,
Martin Prechtel, and Michael Meade.

What if we had the loving support of community to help us connect with and
process the pain of our personal losses along with the anxiety, sadness, and
overwhelm many of us are feeling collectively in these unprecedented times
of deep social division and injustice, and ongoing environmental
devastation? Throughout history people have come together tribally and
ceremonially to honor and metabolize their grief.

Please register for this event at the following link:
https://goo.gl/forms/aEvv1mEmlPcqI3FV2

SLO Natural Foods Coop offers scholarships to FARMGIRLS Summer Camp

Also SLO Guild Hall is also going to give scholarships to FARMGIRLS Summer
Camp!

SLO Natural Foods Co-op is donating the proceeds of May Membership sales to
support youth education programs, and FARMGIRLS Summer Camp is a recipient!
FARMGIRLS Summer Camp will offer a limited number of full scholarships,
courtesy of this partnership. See the application attached as a word
document or download an application from Google Docs here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sr_QrI_7-bRBj1r5h4uRf4y6z8TcKBlwAdiT2k3
RatY/edit?usp=sharing> .  Submit it by May 31st, to
Board at SLONaturalFoods.coop.

Anyone can shop at the Co-op. Members get and give special benefits. There's
never been a better time to join than this month in May.  See more about the
Co-op's membership and events attached to this email. Please become a member
of the SLO Natural Foods Coop by the end of this month!

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp June 26 – 29, 2018 8am – 12noon

$150/camper

Registration: http://www.permaculture.us.com/farmgirls/farmgirls-summer-camp

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp is Girl Power for our Future Food System! FARMGIRLS
Summer Camp is held at Our Global Family Farm
<https://www.ourglobalfamilyfarm.com/> , a permaculture demonstration site
located at City Farm SLO. It features food crops and indigenous food
cropping systems from the four corners of the globe. FARMGIRLS Summer Camp
will include farming, cooking, eating, making crafts, singing and nature
hikes. The FARMGILRS summer camp is a place where women and girls of all
ages can learn about how to grow food in an ecological approach that follows
the ethics of permaculture: care for the earth, care for one another, and
share the abundance. Together we can create a food system that is
Regenerative, Healthy, Local, and Resilient. FARMGIRLS Summer Camp is now
open to women too. We want to see generations of women and girls be
empowered to learn about agriculture and be empowered to grow their own
food!

International connections at FARMGIRLS Summer Camp

This year at FARMGIRLS we have a mother and daughter coming all the way from
Sao Paulo, Brazil and another couple of people coming from Costa Rica. These
world travelers are connecting to us vis-à-vis the Nu Mundo
<https://numundo.org/center/united-states/our-global-family-village#ByYunvn2
>  website by searching for permaculture demonstration sites in California.
They will need a place to stay, so please contact me if you have a room in a
house the mother and daughter from Brazil can stay and another for the
couple from Costa Rica.

Teresa Tree Lees

SLO Permaculture Guild