[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Permaculture Events for you in September and October

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Fri Aug 31 21:02:31 PDT 2018

Hello Local Permaculture Community,

In this newsletter are events for YOU in September and October! Time to put these on YOUR calendar.

Both local events and events outside of SLO County are listed in order by date:

Special Note: We have a GoFundMe for a cob building project of an African Mud Hut at Our Global Family Village. It Takes a Village!

Please contribute to our crowdfunding campaign here: https://www.gofundme.com/mud-hut-cob-building-project

Sat., September 1 – An Intimate chat with Lenca Tribal Historian, Danilo Vásquez hosted at the SLO Guild Hall Garden 4pm – 7pm

Come listen to Danilo talk about Central America’s oldest culture, the Lenca Taulepa (10,000+ years) that spans El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras and parts of Costa Rica. Danilo is the caretaker of the Cave of Creation in Lenca territories and is the cultural ambassador for the House of the Jaguar. Facebook invite: https://www.facebook.com/events/2112092039064577/

Sun., September 2 - End of Summer Community Dinner at the Lavra at 6:30pm

As the summer days wane, we plan on coming together around the clay pizza oven for an evening celebrating the gift of gathering.  In anticipation of Labor Day, we will also celebrate all the work everyone does for the community and for the earth.  Here is the plan:

What to bring: salads, desserts, and/or toppings for pizza.  The Lavra will provide the dough, sauce, and cheese.

Who: All kindred souls, including animals.

Sun., September 2 – Pancake Breakfast at SLO Guild Hall 8am to 11am Music by Opera SLO at 10am includes excerpts from the Magic Flute

Many community events are held at the SLO Guild Hall including the monthly pancake breakfast and the weekly farmer’s market.

Here is the calendar link: http://sloguildhall.com/Calendars/201808_Cal.html

Thur., September 6 – Permaculture Socials at Our Global Family Village Permaculture Garden  – Come Share in the Abundance on the First Thursdays of each month. Come find your permaculture tribe.

We will meet for food, drink and socializing at Our Global Family Village at the City Farm on the first Thursday evening starting at 5 pm. There is a great meeting spot out at the farm to get together surrounded by abundant plants and garden places, including veggies from the four corners of the globe, Food Forest, an herb garden, bottle gourds growing in the African section and plentiful comfrey just to name a few. The incredible grape arbor with a picnic table is a great place to gather for comradery, plus there is an outdoor kitchen counter and sink and a central gathering area under canopies perfect for sitting underneath in the fall evenings.

Come enjoy gathering on Thursdays at the farm with friends and families and celebrating the abundance of this beautiful planet. Bring food and drink to share. If you feel so inclined, bring drums and musical instruments to jam with. We are still looking for “villagers” to sharecrop the land.

To get to the farm take Calle Joaquin Road north past Alfano Motors and the new BMW car dealership along Highway 101 between Madonna Road and Los Osos Valley Road.

Become a ‘Villager’ at Our Global Family Village

At Our Global Family Village, we’re promoting global unity and permaculture design principles by growing food crops from the four corners of the globe through regenerative agriculture techniques. You are invited to be part of the village and tend the land together. “Villagers” are caretaking plots of land at no cost. We already have a handful of villagers but are accepting others to “join the village.”

Contact  <mailto:treelees at charter.net> treelees at charter.net for more information. Website: https://www.ourglobalfamilyfarm.com/

Sat., September 8 – Farm Restoration at Chumash Farms hosted by Northern Chumash Tribal Council 8am – 12noon (flyer is attached)

Located at Chumash Farms in the Los Osos neighborhood of 17th/18th St. and Pismo St.

Sat., September 8 – Work Party at City Farm hosted by Central Coast Grown 9am to 12noon http://centralcoastgrown.org/city-farm/

Come check out what’s “growing on” at City Farm every second Saturday of the month and lend a helping hand.

Sat., September 8 – Rise for Climate March for Jobs, Justice  in San Francisco https://ca.riseforclimate.org/

On September 8, thousands will march in San Francisco for the largest climate march the West Coast has ever seen. Together we will Rise for Climate, Jobs & Justice as part of a global day of action to demand our elected leaders commit to no new fossil fuels and a just and fair transition to 100% renewable energy.

Sept. 14 – 16 Weekend – Regenerating Earth & Spirit – Preserving the Harvest at Sunburst Sanctuary by Lompoc

Do you crave a greater sense of connection with the earth? Do you feel too separate from nature, or wonder how you can better align your life with natural rhythms? This down-to-earth weekend retreat is the perfect opportunity for you to reconnect with yourself and with Mother Nature. Register online: https://sunburst.org/earth/

Sat., September 15 – Beginning Farmer Workshop hosted by Branch Mill Organic Farm

Join Angie and Beto from Moon Phase Farms to hear about the steps they took to find access to land and to create successful management practices. They will also cover helpful resources for crowdfunding and conservations-based practices. Email Jeff Borum from East Stanislaus RCS at soilhealth at eaststanrcd.org for more information.

Sat., September 15 – Coastal Clean Up Day – Sign up to volunteer with EcoSLO here: https://ecoslo.org/coastal-cleanup-day/

Sat., September 15 - Sustainable Attainable Open Studio Presented by: Alex Flores, Interior Designer 10AM-4PM

Hosted by Green Goods 111 South St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 http://www.slogreengoods.com/

Third Saturdays, Solar Cooking Classes at the Davies Ranch
Solar Cooking classes are held every third Saturday, at 5009 Jespersen Rd. in SLO, Rain or shine between May and October. Next one is September 15th, Hope you can come! Other dates are October 20th and November 17th and December 15th.
For more information call Phyllis Davies at 805-440-9346

Mon., September 17 - Evening with Bill McKibben - Fundraiser for YES on G  Hosted by Coalition to Protect San Luis Obispo County

The YES on G campaign is in full swing, and Bill McKibben, founder of 350.org and world-renowned leader in the global climate movement, is coming to town. Join McKibben, Mayor Heidi Harmon, and leaders from our coalition to hear how San Luis Obispo county can help lead the transition away from fossil fuels by banning fracking and new oil drilling this November. This panel discussion is a ticketed event, and all the proceeds will go to the YES on G campaign. VIP reception w/Bill starts at 5pm, and the panel discussion starts at 6pm.

You can purchase your ticket here: http://protectslo.nationbuilder.com/mckibben

September 22 Weekend – Permaculture Convergence in Hopland hosted at the Solar Living Institute

The Convergence Sept 20-23 2018 Hopland CA
13th Annual NORCAL Permaculture Convergence
Ticket Give Away Contest August 27 to September 7
JOIN CONTEST BELOW
 <http://permacultureconvergence.com/contest/> http://permacultureconvergence.com/contest/

Sat., September 22 – Ag Dinner at the Atascadero Agricultural Hall 5:30pm – 9:00pm

Many of You have asked When We will Bring back our Famous Dinners!! Well , Here it is!! Featuring Tacos, with your choice of Beef, Chicken or Pork & all the toppings plus sides of rice & beans! We will have Water, Ice Tea, Bring your own other. Dessert Bar! Please RSVP🤠. As always we will have a Dance 7:15 - 9:00pm!! Facebook invite: https://www.facebook.com/events/445881732487402/

To RSVP email atasaghall at gmail.com , call 805-491-1059 Ext. 3, or to RSVP and pay using PayPal use the link at https://sites.google.com/site/atascaderoagriculturalhall/home/dinners---quarterly?pageReverted=30

Sat., September 22 – Veteran’s Outreach Farm Workshop and Cookout hosted at Branch Mill Organic Farm 9:30am – 12:30pm

Veteran’s Outreach of SLO County invites veterans for a get together. To register or learn about future activities call 805-781-4285 or email ggranados at co.slo.ca.us

Sun., October 7 – Pancake Breakfast at SLO Guild Hall 8am – 11am with musical selections of the Magic Flute at 10am from Opera SLO

Special Note: The proceeds from this pancake breakfast will go towards our Natural Building GoFundMe Project for Our Global Family Village.

If you cannot make the breakfast, then please donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/mud-hut-cob-building-project

We need members of the SLO Permaculture Guild (that’s any of YOU) to help serve pancakes the morning of October 7th.

Sat., October 13 – Film about nuclear meltdown in Fukushima hosted at the UU Fellowship in SLO at 7:30pm

image.png

Mothers for Peace is showing this award-winning documentary by Ian Thomas Ash. It explains the thyroid and other health problems facing the Japanese children after the nuclear meltdown in Fukushima. Following the film, Michiko Kato, a Fukushima evacuee, will speak.

Saturday, October 13

Unitarian Universalist Fellowship

2201 Lawton Avenue, San Luis Obispo

6:30pm enjoy conversation, cookies, coffee, and tea

7pm film 1 h 11 min

speaker

*donations gratefully accepted*

First Annual Elderberry Weekend Gatherings in Gaviota (hosted by Luna & Gabriel of the Acorn Gathering)

We are REALLY excited to be finally sending out this invitation to the first annual Elderberry Gatherings. These will be two different earth skills gatherings, one held for women and one for men. The intention for these gatherings is to build a deeper relationship with each other, ourselves and the Earth. Throughout our experiences travelling to other cultures and within our own local communities, we have found there is something deeply nourishing that can only happen when we gather together as women or as men.

October 10 – 14 Men’s Elderberry Gathering: http://elderberrygathering.com/mens-gathering

October 17 – 21 Women’s Elderberry Gathering: http://elderberrygathering.com/elderberry-womens-gathering

Sun., October 21 – Fall Harvest Festival hosted at City Farm SLO by Central Coast Grown
Come to discover and support your local urban farm. Fun for the whole family including hay rides, pumpkin patch, corn roast, food vendors, live music, beer & wine garden, yoga, informational booths, and more! Share the attached flyer with friends of your family today! This is our 2nd Annual Harvest Festival at SLO City Farm. http://centralcoastgrown.org/

Quail Springs Programs Fall 2018: https://www.quailsprings.org/programs/program-calendar/

1.       Cob Weekend – September 21-23

2.       Trailing Cuyama – September 27 – 30

3.       Permaculture Design Course – October 28 – November 11

 <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=21b6e4a9a2&e=84f98fd5ed> Santa Cruz Permaculture Logo

Introduction to Garden-Based Herbalism with Darren Huckle

October 2018 - April 2019

 <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=4b2aff27c6&e=84f98fd5ed> https://gallery.mailchimp.com/4ec800acade1d225c494addee/images/1a06bd44-9361-49f0-8611-65efd85d5ec5.jpg

Herbal medicines abound in our bioregion. Herbs disguised as ornamentals and “weeds” await your discovery. By studying the foundations of garden-based herbalism, we will learn how to safely prepare and use garden herbs for teas, poultices, salves, tinctures, and more.

In this course, you will smell, feel and taste your way to understanding the uses for dozens of plants from our unique bio-region. This class is not only educational, but also very engaging, entertaining and fun!

For thousands of years, people have been harvesting herbal medicines from their home gardens for basic family needs. Become part of this evolving tradition using the garden and wild lands as a classroom. This is a dynamic and hands-on introduction to the art and practical application of garden herbalism.

We will spend over half of our time outdoors, where we’ll harvest common herbs and discuss their uses and cultivation. We will then bring the herbs back to the classroom and learn how to make effective teas, oils and remedies for commonly encountered health challenges including stress, sleeplessness, indigestion, and minor wounds.

By effectively preparing and using herbs, we inspire and empower the healer within. This work rejuvenates the senses and steeps us in the wonder of nature’s healing powers. Participants will leave with an abundance of practical and easily implemented information, and a sampling of herb plants to transplant at home.

 <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=11ac65c320&e=84f98fd5ed> Click Here to Register

 <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=7d742912b1&e=84f98fd5ed> https://gallery.mailchimp.com/4ec800acade1d225c494addee/images/85b9eec6-d6ee-4323-9a43-1083aee1cbb5.jpg

Dates & Times

There will be 6 Friday classes (3 hours long each) and 3 Saturday classes (6 hours long each) for a total of 33 hours.

Fall

*	Friday, October 12th, 3:30-6:30pm
*	Friday, November 9th, 3:30-6:30pm
*	Saturday, November 10th, 10am-3pm

Winter

*	Friday, January 11th, 3:30-6:30pm
*	Friday, February 1st, 3:30-6:30pm
*	Saturday, February 2nd, 10am-3pm

Spring

*	Friday, March 8th, 3:30-6:30pm
*	Friday, April 5th, 3:30-6:30pm
*	Saturday, April 6th, 10am-3pm

Registration: Tuition is $375, and registration is limited to 14 students. Please register soon as this course fills up fast.

About Darren Huckle

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/4ec800acade1d225c494addee/images/4253990d-fe1b-4d81-b9f9-0e3e18ad840f.jpgDarren is passionate about the study, practice, and teaching of holistic health. He has spent over 20 years cultivating a deep knowledge of holistic life skills including western and Chinese herbal medicines, organic farming, nutrition, meditation, and Qi Gong. He is a licensed acupuncturist and herbalist, and teaches at Five Branches University, Esalen Institute, and University of California, Santa Cruz. A dynamic teacher and clinician, Darren loves his work and constantly expands his understanding of the human condition in wellness and sickness.

 <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=b9363e21bc&e=84f98fd5ed> Learn more about Darren Huckle’s offerings at Roots of Wellness.

 <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=6ccd475ac7&e=84f98fd5ed> Click Here to Register

Learn more at  <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=9ce18cc527&e=84f98fd5ed> http://santacruzpermaculture.com/herbalism/
Invite your friends through  <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=7c5e5eaaa6&e=84f98fd5ed> Facebook here!

Questions? Email  <mailto:santacruzpermaculture at gmail.com> santacruzpermaculture at gmail.com or call (831) 316-4760.

Ok, I registered! How else can I get involved?

Santa Cruz Permaculture Guild meets Wednesday, September 5, at Live Oak Grange, and you're invited!  <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=00e3d0a4ab&e=84f98fd5ed> L <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=2d805d575f&e=84f98fd5ed> earn more.

Our blog is full of educational and inspiring content!  <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=3b11f172a6&e=84f98fd5ed> Check it out.

 <https://santacruzpermaculture.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4ec800acade1d225c494addee&id=cd8aa3ee0f&e=84f98fd5ed> Visit our events page here for all of our current and upcoming courses.