[Central Coast CA Permaculture] community 'Barn Raising' you can be a part of

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Wed Oct 17 12:37:00 PDT 2018

Hello Community,

Similar to back in the day of neighbors all coming together to help one
another raise the barn, we have our 'Barn Raising' events coming to SLO City
Farm this weekend and into November. Please come and show your support to
our community projects. Our permaculture demonstration garden is located at
SLO City Farm. The volunteer work parties are on the second Saturday of each
month at 9am - 12noon. There are opportunities to volunteer on Tuesday and
Thursday afternoons or to get your own plot of land too.

City Farm SLO is a 19-acre parcel located at 1221 Calle Joaquin, San Luis
Obispo. This class-one irrigated farmland is located along Highway 101
between the Madonna Shopping Center and Los Osos Valley Road, adjacent to
the 140-acre San Luis Ranch. Both properties are contained within the City's
Calle Joaquin Agricultural Preserve.

Sunday October 21 - Fall Harvest Festival at City Farm 1pm - 5pm (flyer is
attached)
Family fun includes hay rides, tomato toss, draw on pumpkin faces, seed
collages, corn roast, food, drink, music, and playing with the mud to start
the cob building. There will be Yoga with Whitney Bennett and live music by
the Joy Polloi Trio.

Meet the farmers, purchase farm fresh produce. Get to know local businesses
and nonprofits who will sell their goods and share their causes.  Admission
is free and all ages are welcome.

In the Beer Garden you'll find Bliss Cafe, G-Bros taco bar and Beverage
choices include Julia's Juices,  select beers from Beda's Biergarten, and
wine from Baileyana.

Come to see the community farm this Sunday, Oct. 21st.

Thursday, November 1st - Permaculture Potluck Social at City Farm 5pm
Come gather with fellow friends interested in permaculture solutions for a
world that is based on earth care, people care and share the abundance.
Bring a vegetarian dish to share as well as your visions for what we can
create together with the local SLO Permaculture Guild. We will hang out in
Our Global Family Village and watch a beautiful autumn sunset together.

November 3rd & 4th and November 10th & 11th - Cob Workshops at City Farm
(flyer is attached)
You can come build with clay soil, sand and straw and create beautiful
natural buildings for the children who will come on field trips to Our
Global Family Village at SLO City Farm. By participating in this project,
you can learn natural building techniques that have been used to build homes
with the earth beneath our feet. You will learn about the benefits of
natural building, soil testing, sourcing local materials, cob wall
construction, wall trimming, integrating windows, niches, sculpting,
plastering, and more.

Workshop 1 November 3-4th: 9am to 5pm
~COB BASICS: SOIL & BRICK TESTING
~BENEFITS OF NATURAL BUILDING
~DOOR PREP & PLACEMENT
~INTERIOR & EXTERIOR COB BENCH

Workshop 2 November 10-11th: 9am to 5pm
~WINDOW PREP & INTEGRATION
~ARCHES, NICHES & "DEADMEN"
~SCULPTING & PLASTERING
~LEARN ABOUT BOND BEAM
ROOF ATTACHMENT

To sign up or reserve your spot, contact Chad Franco at chad at cobjobs.com
with payments via Cash, check, Venmo (@Chad-Franco-1) or Paypal
https://www.paypal.me/chadfranco1

Lunch is included in workshop fee.

Contribute to the GoFundMe campaign for the African Mud Hut Cob Building
Project at City Farm

This is a community funded event and we need your help in order to make this
dream happen for the kids! We are half of the way there with the funds so
PLEASE consider donating to this wonderful cause!

GO FUND ME: https://www.gofundme.com/mud-hut-cob-building-project

Donations of $120+ may attend a 2-day workshop. This is the best option for
you if you want to claim your contribution/registration to the workshop as a
charitable tax deduction!

It will look something like this when we are done:

We are grateful for your community support!

Let's build a more regenerative future together!!

Tree Lees

SLO Permaculture Guild