[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Be an Angel this holiday

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Sat Dec 15 18:32:37 PST 2018

Hello SLO Permaculture Guild,

Please be an angel this holiday season by giving what you can to complete
our cob building for the children. We need you to be part of our community
natural building project of the SLO Permaculture Guild so that we finish the
cob playhouse for children at Our Global Family Village at City Farm SLO.
https://www.ourglobalfamilyfarm.com/

We just reached the $1000 threshold and have a matching donation of $1000 so
that means we only need $1000 more! If we go over our goal that is fine too
as we could use the extra money to purchase more fruit trees for our Food
Forest.

https://www.gofundme.com/mud-hut-cob-building-project

At Our Global Family Village at City Farm SLO we are re-creating a village
atmosphere where we can come together as one family on the land. In the
African section of the garden, we will be building a Mud Hut to showcase how
homes can be built out of clay mud, sand, and straw. Some cultures also call
this Cob Construction or Adobe. This skill is crucial to many people's
existence and a very useful skill to have. This project will require the
hiring of an expert in cob construction to help children and their families
learn how to build an African Mud Hut.

We are using local clay soil, DG and straw in this cob building.  We really
need your donations in order to hire Natural Builder, Chad Franco, to finish
this project. We had workshops on November 3rd and 4th and also November
10th and 11th.  We built more of the walls and windows on December 8th and
will finish the walls on January 12th. The next step is to build the roof
and then put on the final plaster layer and "sculpting" decor on the outside
of the building. We hope to host a Sculpting and Plastering Workshop in
2019!

The cob building will be showcased to school children when they come to
field trips to the farm, for the FARMGIRLS Summer Camp as well as for
families and the community to enjoy throughout the years to come.

This project is also about experiencing how other people in the world live,
including the houses they live in, the foods they grow and eat and other
elements of their culture. We here the USA need to gain more respect and
understanding of the cultures around the globe the homes and villages they
live in.

When the building is complete we will invite you to an Open House
(playhouse, that is) to you can see it.

Our work parties are the second Saturday of every month at 9am to 12noon.

The City Farm SLO is located at 1221 Calle Joaquin. We are next to the new
BMW car dealership along Highway 101 at the Los Osos Valley Road exit.

Come be part of the village!

Blessings to you this holiday season,

Teresa Tree Lees - That's me in the blue shirt! Next to me is Scott Marlin
and Brian Ernst Marsh. Behind me is Chad Franco, Gavin Belt (his mother
Mariah Joy Soloy Belt is taking the picture), Nikki Prizma Kaminkski, and
Zachary Oakling. The other partner this project was Adrianna Lemus. Also
Scott Kam, Amanda Smith, Reo Cordes, Chrystie Richards and a couple of
friends of Chad Franco also helped.