[Central Coast CA Permaculture] abundance of rain and other community resources

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Sun Feb 10 06:20:59 PST 2019

Hello SLO Permaculture Guild,

Rain, our precious resource, rain. One of permaculture tenets is that
everything is a resource.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we turned our water scarcity along the Central
Coast into water abundance!

Brad Lancaster, author of Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond,
calls it "planting the rain."

In the book he explains how your on-site resources (rainwater, greywater,
topsoil, sun, plants, and more), give you a diverse array of strategies to
maximize their potential, and empower you with guiding principles to create
an integrated, multi-functional resource-harvesting and -enhancing landscape
plan specific to your site and needs. When you do this, you can do "A Bun
Dance."

Here is a link to his book: https://www.harvestingrainwater.com/

Here are some other local resources for rainwater harvesting:

Potter's Plumbing & Central Coast Conservation Solutions:
https://potterplumbing.net/

Wild Bloom Landscaping:
https://wildbloomlandscapes.com/services/rainwater-harvesting/

Carmichael Environmental: http://www.carmichaelenvironmental.com/

Purlieu Landscape Design: https://www.purlieulandscapes.com/blog/water

Loomis Tank: https://www.loomistank.com/index.shtml

Grey Hub Irrigation Greywater: https://www.loomistank.com/index.shtml

Blue Barrel Rainwater Catchment Systems: https://www.bluebarrelsystems.com/

Sweetwater Collaborative in Santa Barbara:
https://www.sweetwatercollaborative.org/

And now for some local resources of organizations doing abundant things in
our community:

Food & Farming:

City Farm SLO: http://centralcoastgrown.org/  - On February 5, City Farm SLO
signed an agreement with the local company SLO Circuit Electrical to install
an array of Solar Panels along our southern margin and freeway frontage.

Our Global Family Farm at City Farm: https://www.ourglobalfamilyfarm.com/ -
On March 9th we will be finishing the walls for the cob playhouse for
children to learn about natural building. Then the local Carpenters Union
will be installing the roof. We could still use some financial support to
finish this project. Please give generously this month of February -
https://www.gofundme.com/mud-hut-cob-building-project

At Our Global Family Village, we're promoting global unity and permaculture
design principles by growing food crops from the four corners of the globe
through regenerative agriculture techniques. With seasonal community farm
celebrations and volunteer projects, we welcome you to join our endeavors
aimed at bringing indigenous food cultures into the lives of local families.

Contact Teresa Tree Lees treelees at charter.net for more information.

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp - June 25-28, 2019 at Our Global Family Village at
City Farm

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp is Girl Power for our Future Food System!  FARMGIRLS
Summer Camp is held at Our Global Family Farm, a permaculture demonstration
site located at City Farm SLO. It features food crops and indigenous food
cropping systems from the four corners of the globe. FARMGIRLS Summer Camp
will include farming, cooking, eating, making crafts, singing and nature
hikes. The FARMGILRS summer camp is a place where women and girls of all
ages can learn about how to grow food in an ecological approach that follows
the ethics of permaculture: care for the earth, care for one another, and
share the abundance.  Together we can create a food system that is
Regenerative, Healthy, Local, and Resilient. Save the date on your calendar
and share!

SLO County Food System Coalition: Mission: Promote a sustainable food system
that is equitable, profitable, resilient, and health-promoting in the County
of San Luis Obispo. Monday, February 11, 2019 9:00 - 10:30 am Copeland
Health Pavilion, 3rd floor Auditorium French Hospital 1911 Johnson Ave, SLO,
Christina Lefevre Latner will present The ACTION Committee's Food System
Folio.

Cal Poly CAFES Center for Sustainability - Please visit our February
Announcements page to start exploring the many great events and
opportunities that are coming up soon:
www.cfs.calpoly.edu/announcements_february.html

Seedsaver's Exchange of SLO: February 21 at 2pm at the Nipomo Library, 918
W. Tefft St., Nipomo.  Cindy Jelinek will lead a discussion on plants used
for dyeing fabric.

February 28 at 6:30pm at the Los Osos Library, 2075 Palisades Ave, Los Osos.
Elizabeth Johnson will continue our "Seed Stories" discussion.  Our recent
November 30 session was wholly devoted to seed cleaning White Sage!

CA Rare Fruit Growers - Scion Exchange on February 16th at Cal Poly
http://www.crfg-central.org/scionExchange.html

Rain does NOT cancel this event! At the scion exchange you will find rows of
tables laden with bags of scion wood from a wide variety of trees. At 1:30
pm the doors open and people enter to peruse the tables for scion wood they
want to graft to their own fruit trees.

Eat SLO Blog: Flipping the Table: Honest Conversations About Food, Farming
and the Future https://eatslo.net/2019/01/29/flipping-the-table/

Central Coast Veg Fest: February 23rd
https://vegfund.org/event/2019-central-coast-vegfest/ - 10:00 a.m. to 5:00
p.m. United Methodist Church

1515 Fredericks St., San Luis Obispo, CA 93405 United States

California's Central Coast 2019 VegFest is an all-day, free celebration of
veganism with expert speakers, cooking demos, food booths, free samples,
vendors, and education! Family friendly with free parking, too. All are
welcome.

Environmental Justice:

SLO Climate Coalition - http://carbonfreeslo.org/ In December 2018, San Luis
Obispo and Morro Bay became the first cities in San Luis Obispo County to
join Monterey Bay Community Power (MBCP), a regional public agency providing
competitively priced carbon-free electricity to residents and businesses on
the Central Coast via PG&E transmission lines.

The next public Climate Coalition meeting is Thursday, February 21st 6:30pm
at the Ludwick Community Center
We invite you to attend our meeting to see what we're up to and what you
might be able to do to help SLO become carbon free by 2035: the most
ambitious goal of any city in the United States!

SLO Clean Water - https://slocleanwateraction.org/

Coalition to Protect SLO County - (from oil trains and oil spills)
http://protectslo.nationbuilder.com/success

EcoSLO - https://ecoslo.org/ - The Hub
<https://ecoslo.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a6c0a565bc578323c0e6ebbb9&
id=88344d6091&e=62f366d225> Eco-Network is an online resource available to
you anytime through ECOSLO's website. Take a look at this directory of 75+
organizations in SLO County all doing work related to caring for and
protecting the natural environment of SLO County! Updates are made annually
- enjoy and feel free to share.

Save the date for the next Green Drinks coming Wednesday, March 13! Green
Drinks is a quarterly, friendly networking event for environmentalists - all
are welcome.

Chumash Heritage National Marine Sanctuary - https://chumashsanctuary.com/
Surfrider - https://www.surfrider.org/about

Racial Justice:

Race Matters - https://www.racemattersslo.org/welcome/

Raise Up - raiseupslo at gmail.com

SLO Latino Outreach Council - https://www.facebook.com/LatinoOutreachSLO/

Allies for Immigration Justice, SLO County - alliesslocounty at gmail.com

NAACP SLO County - http://naacpslocty.org/

Bend the Arc Jewish Action SLO -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1886796181567653/

Economic Justice:

Santa Cruz Permaculture Guild: February 23-24 with Marco Vangelisti
"Essential Knowledge for Transition: Understanding the economy, money and
investing and how to transform them for a regenerative world." It's the
second in a series of four workshops in our new Systems Change
<http://santacruzpermaculture.com/economy/?utm_source=eNewsletter&utm_campai
gn=35e33760da-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_01_22_NEWSLETTER_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&
utm_term=0_d63668b088-35e33760da-187625497&mc_cid=35e33760da&mc_eid=84f98fd5
ed> & the Next Economy Course.

RVs for Vets - https://www.commongroundworldwide.org/current-projects
We connect homeless veterans with locals who wish to offer a used motorhome
or travel trailer to someone in need.

Animal Husbandry & Homesteading:

North County Homestead Collaborative Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/201311880305054/

Beginning Beekeeping Presentation:
https://www.facebook.com/events/242585523316851/

Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 10 AM - 12 PM - Atascadero Public Library-Polin
Community Room

Central Coast Beekeepers:  2019 kick-off meeting will be held Monday,
Februay 18th at 6 pm.

New Location:  the Animal Care Clinic in San Luis Obispo, 162 Cross St, just
off Tank Farm Rd, one block east of lower Higuera St.  The meeting room is
at the rear entrance of the building, follow signs.

Chicken Keeping Class Basics:
https://www.facebook.com/events/359701804615303/ - Saturday, February 23,
2019 at 11 AM - 12:30 PM

Foss Farm - 3300 traffic way, Atascadero, California 93422

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network: Winter 2019: (stay tuned for more
details)

*	Earth Repair! Ecological Restoration and Bio-Remediation to Heal the
Planet with Leila Darwish and Tom Duncan - February 22 & 23 - Antioch
University Auditorium

*	First Annual  <http://www.sbpermaculture.org;/> Santa Barbara
Permaculture Network Eco-Hero Award - Honoring John D. Liu, Award Winning
Journalist, Soil Scientist, & Ambassador for Ecosystem Restoration Camps -
March 17 - Lobero Theater

Online Permaculture Resources:

FREE Online Class: Introduction to Permaculture:
https://invite.permaculturewomen.com/pdcsampleclass

FREE: Read Online Food Not Lawns book -
https://www.permaculturewomen.com/foodnotlawns
In anticipation of the new revised edition, we've decided to make the entire
original text and illustrations of the 2006 version of Food Not Lawns, How
To Turn Your Yard into a Garden and Your Neighborhood into a Community
available to our newsletter subscribers, for free!

Permaculture Masterclass from Geoff Lawton

New documentary-style film: There is talk everywhere of a "Green New Deal."
But what this looks like and how we get there needs to be hammered out. Our
just-released documentary-style film called Green is the New Silver: Crisis,
Hope, and Permaculture, is our permaculture-inspired contribution to this
discussion.

4-part video series called Permaculture Masterclass:
https://www.discoverpermaculture.com/video-1-pdc-2019

Be Abundant My Friends,

Teresa Tree Lees - SLO Permaculture Guild