[Central Coast CA Permaculture] We Shall Renew the Earth with each step we take

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Sat Apr 20 12:49:55 PDT 2019

Image result for THis YEAR We shall Renew the Earth by StarhawkHello SLO
Permaculture Guild,

Happy Earth Day 2019! Let us renew our commitment to taking care of the
earth.

Each of us holds the world in our hands, every day, with every step we take.

"This year we shall renew the earth. This year we shall renew the earth.
This year we shall renew the earth. And let it begin with each step we take.
And let it begin with each change we make. And let it begin with each chain
we break. And let it begin with each time we awake." - Starhawk

May you find the steps you can take, the changes you can make, and the
chains you can break.

May you awaken to the truth that each of us is a thread in the web of life.

"The Earth is what we all have in common." - Wendell Berry

Here are steps we are taking here locally...

Natural Buildings Make Headlines

Last week the New Times featured a cover story article about the Hand
Sculpted cob building at Our Global Family Village!
(https://www.ourglobalfamilyfarm.com/)It discussed natural building projects
at Quail Springs as well as our cob playhouse at City Farm SLO being built
by Chad Franco. Here is the link:
<https://www.newtimesslo.com/sanluisobispo/hand-sculpted-local-natural-build
ing-advocates-work-to-incorporate-permaculture-techniques-into-modern-societ
y/Content?oid=8216919>  We have finished the walls and are building the roof
next. We still need your financial help to pay Chad Franco to finish the
sculpting and plastering. Please take a moment this Earth Day to donate to
our GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/mud-hut-cob-building-project

Field Trips with School Groups at City Farm SLO

We are now offering field trips to City Farm SLO and have ten schools signed
up for the month of May. The field trips are called Next Generation ON THE
FARM as we bring the next generation of young people onto the farmland as a
way to experience the Next Generation Science Standards. They will learn
about the food crops grown on the farm including some crops that end up in
the cafeteria in San Luis Coast USD. Attached is the short description of
each field trip. Contact treelees at charter.net to sign up for a field trip or
if you want to assist with a field trip.

PDC Course in our area September 16-29, 2019

Permaculture Design Certification (PDC) Course will be offered this fall at
Sunburst Sanctuary. Sunburst Sanctuary is a majestic, 4000-acre ranch 30
miles north of Santa Barbara in the rolling hills of California's Central
Coast region. The site is a rich setting for studying a broad range of
regenerative systems, as it includes vegetable production and emerging fruit
production systems; rangeland and livestock; small- and large-scale compost
production; thriving wilderness and wildlife; extensive creek systems; a
meditation retreat center; and a cooperative residential community. Here is
the website: https://sunburst.org/pdc/

Care of the earth and growing organic food have been perennial themes of
Sunburst Community's 50-year history of living together, working together,
and raising consciousness on the planet. Sunburst was an early pioneer of
large-scale production and distribution of organic foods, and remains
committed to seeking ways that humanity can have a beneficial rather than
harmful impact on the planet and each other.

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp June 25-29, 2019

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp is Girl Power for our Future Food System!  FARMGIRLS
Summer Camp is held at Our Global Family Farm, a permaculture demonstration
site located at City Farm SLO. It features food crops and indigenous food
cropping systems from the four corners of the globe. FARMGIRLS Summer Camp
will include farming, cooking, eating, making crafts, singing and nature
hikes. The FARMGILRS summer camp is a place where women and girls of all
ages can learn about how to grow food in an ecological approach that follows
the ethics of permaculture: care for the earth, care for one another, and
share the abundance.  Together we can create a food system that is
Regenerative, Healthy, Local, and Resilient.

Dates: June 25 -28, 2019 (Tuesday - Friday)

Time: 8am - 12noon

Who: For girls ages 8 - 16 and women of all ages

Cost: $165 per registration

Registration is open until June 21st (Parents can come any day for FREE.)
Registration link:
http://www.permaculture.us.com/farmgirls/farmgirls-summer-camp

Other Local Events:

April 21 - Cambria Earth Day at Greenspace Creekside Preserve
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/community/cambrian/article228737769
.html

April 22nd - Santa Barbara Community Event in Support of the

Camp Fire Restoration Weekend in Paradise, CA

Monday, April 22, 6-8pm, 2019 - FREE

Location: South Coast Watershed Resource Center

981 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA 93109

Come learn from the community of Paradise's experiences, and the innovative
ideas they have for a different way of responding to tragedy, including an
upcoming  <https://www.rebuildingparadise.com/restore> Paradise Camp Fire
Restoration Weekend event April 26-28.  Many lessons from the
<https://www.ecosystemrestorationcamps.org/foundation/> Ecosystem
Restoration Camp global movement will be incorporated and shared.

The free Santa Barbara evening event will include film, discussion, pizza &
drinks.  Matthew Trumm of  <http://www.treetoppermaculture.org/> Treetop
Permaculture and coordinator for the
<http://campfirerestorationproject.org/> Camp Fire Restoration Project, will
be available via ZOOM to share and answer questions.  Santa Barbara resident
Art Ludwig of  <http://oasisdesign.net/> Oasis Design will share film shorts
on fire & earthquake resistant housing, debris flow protection, storm water
capture, and designs for sustainable & affordable housing he is currently
working on.

The free event takes on Monday April 22, 6-8pm at the South Coast Watershed
Resource Center at Arroyo Burro Beach County Park , 981 Cliff Drive, Santa
Barbara, CA 93109.  For more information,  <http://www.sbpermaculture.org>
www.sbpermaculture.org,  <mailto:margie at sbpermaculture.org>
margie at sbpermaculture.org, 805 962-2571.

April 21 - 30 - Earth Week at Cal Poly
https://www.facebook.com/events/389356518508125/

April 25th - Cal Poly Earth Day Festival 10am 12noon Dexter Lawn
https://www.facebook.com/events/656243164835521/

April 27th  - Earth Day SLO 11am - 5pm at Laguna Lake
http://earthdayalliance.com/earth-day-2019/

April 28th - Tending the Unraveling: Finding Meaning in a Time of Collapse

One Day Workshop in Morro Bay

Sunday April 28

10:30 am - 5:30 pm

www.wholeheartedpath.com/tending-the-unraveling

May 3rd - 5th - Reweaving the World: Healing and Renewal in Troubled Times

Weekend Retreat in Lockwood, CA

(40 miles north of Paso Robles)

Friday May 3 - Sunday May 5

Fri 6:00 pm - Sun 5:00 pm

www.wholeheartedpath.com/reweaving-the-world

Opportunity to live at The Lavra

Ever think of living tiny?  If you've had an obsession with living in a tiny
home AND within community, the Lavra has an opportunity to fulfill both your
dreams.  Sadly, our fellow community member, Gregg, is moving to another
residence nearby but he hopes that his beautiful and amazing tiny home will
find a new owner so the home can stay at the Lavra.  The tiny home is only
about a year old and is the best-designed/highest-quality tiny home we've
ever seen. It is about 200 square feet and includes two lofts, a bathroom
with shower, and beautiful hardwood floors throughout (see above, and feel
free to request more pictures). We are hoping to find someone who would be
interested in purchasing the tiny home from Gregg AND staying at the Lavra
as a community member, but these are separate arrangements, so it is
possible to purchase the tiny home and take it off-site as well. If you know
anyone who would be interested in seeing it and wanting more details, please
write to us at thelavra at gmail.com.  This is a great opportunity!

Take care of yourself and the Earth,

Teresa Lees - San Luis Obispo Permaculture Guild

Website: http://slopermaculture.weebly.com/

Facebook Page: SLO Permaculture Guild:
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=slo%20permaculture%20guild
<https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=slo%20permaculture%20guild&epa=SEARC
H_BOX> &epa=SEARCH_BOX

Facebook Group: Permaculture in SLO County:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/permacultureslo/