[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Food and Farm Adventures in SLO and SB

Teresa Lees treelees at charter.net
Fri May 10 21:38:26 PDT 2019

Hello Permaculture Guild,

We now have a San Luis Obispo Food and Farm Adventures MeetUp Group.

We are a "sister MeetUp" to the Santa Barbara Food and Farm Adventures.

Some food or farm adventure is planned for each month.

You can join the MeetUp San Luis Obispo Food and Farm Adventures here:
https://www.meetup.com/San-Luis-Obispo-Food-and-Farm-Adventures/

You are welcome to our next MeetUp on May 18th for a tour of Larry
Kandarian's Ancient Grain Organic Farm

Time: 10am to 12noon.

Location: 3255 Los Osos Valley Road in Los Osos

Cost: $15 includes a package of ancient grains and a packet of seeds

grows in Los Osos. Some of our products may be new to consumers and we
delight in teaching folks where they come from, how our ancestors unlocked
their benefits and how to use them in the kitchen to bring meals to life. We
are a visionary company contributing dynamism to the food world, nourishment
to the planet and powerful vitamins, minerals and other benefits to
communities.

SLO MeetUp Invite:
https://www.meetup.com/San-Luis-Obispo-Food-and-Farm-Adventures/events/26100
5867/

Facebook Invite: https://www.facebook.com/events/1228508113976414/

Please RSVP with me, treelees at charter.net by next Friday, May 17th.

Also on May 18th, please come to City Farm SLO at 1pm to 4pm to help apply
compost and mulch to our permaculture demo garden, Our Global Family
Village. It takes a village to keep regenerating the soil. Simply drive down
Los Osos Valley Road from Larry Kandarian's farm back to San Luis Obispo and
turn left onto Calle Joaquin Road, the frontage road along Highway 101, to
find the City Farm at the cul-de-sac. Lots to see at City Farm SLO. Come
check it out! We have a roof on the newly constructed cob playhouse.

We are invited to the June 8th SB Food and Farm Adventures to the Finley
Farm in Solvang

Time: 11:00am to 12:30pm

Location: 1702 N Refugio Road in Santa Ynez

Cost: $11/person

learn all about garlic production and will increase your appreciation for
garlic. Depending upon this year's harvest, we may have the opportunity to
harvest garlic and hopefully taste it. In addition, sweet peas, onions and
plenty of other vegetables will be growing. Produce will be available for
purchase at their farm stand. $10.00 fee is for Johanna's time and tour and
hopefully fresh garlic bulb.

SB MeetUp Invite:
https://www.meetup.com/Santa-Barbara-Food-and-Farm-Adventures/events/2612194
59/

Some of us may be interested in attending the Los Olivos Jazz and Olive
Festival which starts at 1:00 nearby.

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp June 25 - 28, 2019

8am - 12noon
For girls ages 8 - 16 and women of all ages

$165 per registration

Registration is open until June 21st

Registration link:
http://www.permaculture.us.com/farmgirls/farmgirls-summer-camp

Location: Our Global Family Farm at City Farm in San Luis Obispo
www.cityfarmslo.org

Facebook Invite: https://www.facebook.com/events/978734155665621/

FARMGIRLS Summer Camp is Girl Power for our Future Food System!  FARMGIRLS
Summer Camp is held at Our Global Family Farm, a permaculture demonstration
site located at City Farm SLO. It features food crops and indigenous food
cropping systems from the four corners of the globe. FARMGIRLS Summer Camp
will include farming, cooking, eating, making crafts, singing and nature
hikes. The FARMGILRS summer camp is a place where women and girls of all
ages can learn about how to grow food in an ecological approach that follows
the ethics of permaculture: care for the earth, care for one another, and
share the abundance.  Together we can create a food system that is
Regenerative, Healthy, Local, and Resilient.

Carbon Farming Technical Assistance from Upper Salinas-Las Tablas Resource
Conservation District

Are you interested in technical assistance in developing a Carbon Farm Plan
for your farm or ranch? The US-LT RCD is currently seeking interested
landowners to determine the future of carbon farm planning in our area.
Why develop a Carbon Farm Plan? A Carbon Farm Plan will help you plan for
carbon sequestration and climate adaptation and improve the health of your
soil.
What are some of the practices that can be part of a Carbon Farm Plan?

*	Compost Application
*	Anaerobic Digester
*	Silvopasture/Shrub & Tree Establishment
*	Windbreak/Shelterbelt/Hedgerow
*	Filter Strips
*	Forage & Biomass Planting
*	Rangeland Management
*	Nutrient Management
*	Prescribed Grazing and Range Planting

Contact Andrew Johnson at (805)536-3175
or by email at  <mailto:andrew at us-ltrcd.org> andrew at us-ltrcd.org

New Course! Permaculture Food Forests: Planning, Growing and Enjoying Year
Round Abundance, An Applied Permaculture Practicum with John Valenzuela &
David Shaw. Course starts August 2019.

Learn more & register:
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsantacruzpermaculture.com%2Ffoo
dforests%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3_9C_oxRGKt7NazcoX2xZ3AIHp6LA8pOPTduTt8KhdI7q1Zyc
XvHF4d_4&h=AT0NjZPf8I958y21ibE1SRPrxzc9uTWoKw7Sqe_9GEjoHm8YvHHIrxKq5Y89zsZxI
kK-vSEyUTl4C1S3SXDRU-sCwW9Yz3kNTDCJac16FzpRyMCedPgjIBKc0624mNvGzZGr-O78R7-dA
-q0m_4TiiBlA-QykRWMABHBW5c> santacruzpermaculture.com/foodforests/

Do you want to gain hands-on skills and build community around growing food?
Interested in learning best practices for orchard establishment and
management, food forestry, designing year round productive vegetable farms
and gardens, and preserving the harvest? We are pleased to offer this
advanced practicum grounded in sound horticultural practices, and spiced
with the delicious seasonal fruits and vegetables our region has to offer.

Before the area around San Jose was called the Silicon Valley it was known
as "the Valley of the Heart's Delight" because of its apricot, peach and
plum orchards, and the delightful abundance it produced. Join us in creating
and celebrating these habitats on both home and broadacre scales.

- Super Early Bird Savings End June 10
- Early Bird Savings End July 4

Facebook Invite:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/permacultureslo/permalink/2830257113666199/

Stay connected and keep on regenerating!

Teresa Lees, SLO Permaculture Guild