[Central Coast CA Permaculture] Happy Interdependence Day (everyday)

Teresa Lees joyfilledplanet at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 08:02:05 PDT 2019

*Hello Permaculture People,*

Let us hereby declare our INTERDEPENDENCE this week and every week.
INTERDEPENDENCE is how nature works.

INTERDEPENDENCE is necessary for our ecosystems. It is necessary for
survival between species. It more properly describes the complex system we
live in and what we aspire to in permaculture. We look for the connections
and strengthen them for more resiliency in ecosystems.

*FARMGIRLS Summer Camp held last week June 25-28, 2019*

Last week we embodied INTERDEPENDENCE at the FARMGIRLS Summer Camp. The
girls interacted with the soil, the plants, the flowers, the chickens, and
with one another. They ate fresh vegetables from the garden and made vital
connections between how we plant seeds in the ground AND also plant “seeds
of intention” in our hearts and minds. We then nurture both for them to
grow into their full potential. Nikki Kaminski facilitated this
“ecotherapy” approach with the FARMGIRLS with daily team building and
personal development experiences.
Thank you, Nikki, for being such a great Camp Counselor.

Thanks to all those who contributed to this program of INTERDEPENDENCE for
girls on the farm:

Chefs: Courtney Coleman of Cookwell with Courtney
<https://www.cookwell.org/>, Danica Smith of FoodCorps
<https://foodcorps.org/>, Terri Knowlton of Fig at Courtney House.
<https://www.figgoodfood.org/>

Guest Speakers: Erin Holden of Central Coast Beekeepers Alliance, Rosa of
Morro Bay Mushrooms and Kayla Rutland with her small flock of chickens now
living at City Farm SLO.

Donors: SLO Guild Hall, Hermine Lees, and an anonymous donation to sponsor
a couple of girls to attend camp.

Sponsors: City Farm SLO <https://www.cityfarmslo.org/>, Our Global Family
Farm <https://www.ourglobalfamilyfarm.com/> and Institute for Permaculture
Education for Children. <http://www.permaculture.us.com/farmgirls>

*Here are some photos from the week on the farm.*

Day One: https://photos.app.goo.gl/L1Ke7jtmYoPrvoEq5

Day Two: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MjbJyCioQCCPasVx6

Day Three: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nbaiUN6BvWADG82g6

Day Four: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nNWr7yC7MzZ4ausV6

*Work Party at City Farm July 13, 9am to 12noon*

You are invited to participate in the progress being made to enliven the
INTERDEPENDENCE at City Farm SLO on the second Saturday of each month. Come
lend a hand to help improve soil health, plant productivity, suppress
weeds, build compost, and harvest the bounty. Come and be one of the human
beings interacting with the farm ecosystem. We encourage all human beings
to be part of farm ecosystems. We are located along the Highway 101 where
Calle Joaquin Road (North) frontage road ends past the car dealerships.
There is a lot to see growing on the farm.

*SLO Food & Farm Adventure MeetUp Group to Adelaida District on July 27th
 - Mt. Olive Organic Farm, Manzanita Manor Organic Walnuts & Dauo Vineyard
& Winery *More Information:
https://www.meetup.com/San-Luis-Obispo-Food-and-Farm-Adventures/

Each month I (Teresa Lees) line up a farm to visit through the MeetUp
platform. I have created the San Luis Obispo Food and Farm Adventures
MeetUp Group. You can join the group and join our adventures. On July 27th
we will meet at Mt. Olive Organic Farm <https://www.mtolivefarm.com/> at
10am for a farm tour, M&M Organic Walnut Farmstand
<https://mmorganics.com/farmstand/> at 11:30am and if you want to see the Dauo
Winery <https://www.daouvineyards.com/DAOU-Mountain> we will be there
around 1:00pm. All of these are located on Adelaida Road outside of Paso
Robles. To get there take Highway 101 to Paso Robles and get off at Highway
46 East/Lake Nacimiento exit and go WEST towards Lake Nacimiento. This will
become Adelaida Road. Mt. Olive Farm will be on your left with signs. We
will meet at the patio steps in front of their store and café. You can eat
lunch there at their café.

*Permaculture Design Course (PDC) September 16-29, 2019 in Lompoc*
https://sunburst.org/pdc/

Would you like to make a difference and leave our planet better than you
found it? Immerse yourself in hands-on permaculture in action. This course
offers an in-depth introduction into permaculture with a diversity of
applications:
– Abundant water
– Living soils
– Renewable energy
– Healthy plants
– Water-harvesting earthworks
– Natural building
– Community living
…and creating the conditions for a life based on the patterns in nature—all
while immersed in the daily life of the Sunburst community.

In this 14-day course we will focus on land-based systems with as much
practical, outdoor hands-on work as possible. Class time consists of
traditional lectures, guest presentations, group discussions, games,
exercises, photo shows, movies, and practical design work.

Additionally, we will explore ‘invisible structures’ — the social,
cultural, political and economic structures that shape much of our world
today. Permaculture design is embedded in the course by the structure and
environment we create as a dynamic group.

*Collecting Fennel Pollen at Larry Kandarian Farms*

Larry Kandarian is looking to hire people to collect fennel pollen on his
farm. You can get in touch with him on Facebook or go to his website:
https://kandarian-organic-farms.myshopify.com/pages/about-us

*More Community Events:*

*Garden Soils and Water Management Workshop* - Learn how to determine the
soil type in your yard and how to adapt the irrigation accordingly.