[Lapg] It's kind of easy being green LA Permaculture Article in Los Angeles Times ""GREAT """

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Jul 23 09:05:03 PDT 2004

CALENDAR WEEKEND
http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-wk-cover22jul22_b%2C1%2C3910643.story?coll=la-home-style
It's kind of easy being green
  The renewable-resource lifestyle known as 'permaculture' is taking root
in L.A. How green can it get in frenetic, car-crazed L.A.?

It's a whole new take on the talking heads

It's kind of easy being green

By Susan Carpenter, Times Staff Writer

Take a look at Jules Dervaes. A few years ago, he drove a VW van and lived
in a standard Pasadena bungalow ringed with thirsty St. Augustine grass.
Today the grass is gone, and in its place is a leafy, aromatic paradise
overflowing with basil, thyme and tarragon, onions, beans and eggplants,
strawberries and even coffee — altogether the yard produces 6,000 pounds of
food each year. Five chickens and a couple of ducks are busy cranking out
eggs. He's traded the van for a 1988 Chevy Suburban that he converted to
biodiesel and fuels with recycled vegetable oil. The house is partly
solar-powered, including a solar oven that he keeps parked in the garage.

"A hundred years ago this was considered normal," he says.

Actually, it's not so odd today, either.

Dervaes, 57, and his family are on the leading edge of L.A.'s green
movement — part of the growing impulse to take the old "reduce, reuse,
recycle" mantra to a higher level. The green movement tends to ebb and flow
with the economy and political climate, and right now, it has plenty of
steam: The Iraq war and a down economy have a lot of people contemplating
the benefits of the self-sustaining, renewable-resource lifestyle (it's
called "permaculture" these days), and trying to figure out how to make it
part of their disposable, go-cup existence.

An amalgamation of the words "permanent" and "agriculture," permaculture is
a 30-year-old Australian term that's only now coming into vogue — a sort of
shorthand for closed-loop systems that take advantage of natural cycles,
using the waste products from one cycle to fuel another. Think composting
food waste into garden mulch, catching "gray water" from the kitchen to
irrigate outdoor plants, converting discarded cooking oil into biodiesel to
fuel cars.

But in L.A., the question is: How green can you be?

Recycling a plastic water bottle here, reusing a paper bag there — easy
enough. But brewing biodiesel with used vegetable oil? Scaling a garage
roof to install solar paneling? Retrofitting the plumbing to recycle
kitchen water? There's green, and then there's really green.

The most hard-core greenies, such as Dervaes, are demonstrating what can be
done. But the cost is high. Dervaes, like many of the most committed
greenies, has given up his job to devote himself to running an urban homestead.

But there are some elements that are easily done, and if you can absorb the
philosophy, there are even more changes that can be made almost
automatically. For instance, permaculturalists refuse to buy excessively
packaged and environmentally damaging products. They think in terms of what
they need instead of what they want. They're reusing the stuff they have,
recycling those things they no longer need and restoring what's around them
rather than buying new. They're getting rid of their lawns, their air
conditioning, even their cars, embracing edible landscapes, alternative
energy systems and forms of transportation that don't rely on fuels formed
over eons.

According to Bill Roley, president of the Permaculture Institute of
Southern California, 10% to 30% of the population practices some sort of
permaculture — whether it's growing some of their own food or composting
waste into their gardens. The number of people living the philosophy with
fully integrated, self-sustaining lifestyles remains small, but they're
demonstrations of what's possible.

Eco housing co-op

"Should we eat in the street?" asks Joe Linton, 40, pulling two loaves of
fresh-baked bread from his oven.

It's Sunday night, and the residents of L.A.'s Eco-Village are gathering
for their weekly potluck. Carrying plates of gargantuan strawberries, pots
of brown rice fresh from the stove and bowls full of tofu and organic
spinach salads, the dozen or so people who've gathered for this vegetarian
feast are not sitting by or near the street. They are sitting at tables on
the asphalt just a few feet from the cars streaming to a nearby stop sign.

The potluck is a statement against car culture as much as it's a meal. At
Eco-Village, an ecologically oriented housing co-op with a communal garden
and bicycle workshop called the "bicycle kitchen," few of the residents own
or drive cars. In return, they are rewarded with a $20 monthly discount off
their rent. "Ecologically, vehicles are the biggest-ticket item," said Lois
Arkin, who helped found Eco-Village 11 years ago.

Arkin, 67, wears only used clothes, which she washes with nontoxic soap.
Her apartment is outfitted with used furniture, a mini fridge and
energy-efficient compact fluorescent lights. She takes her own bags to the
market and saves the thick stacks of napkins she receives (without asking)
from restaurants in her Koreatown neighborhood.

"None of that holds a candle to the destruction we do by driving," said
Arkin, who gave up her car in 1991. When she has to go somewhere, she said,
"No. 1, I take my feet. No. 2, my bicycle. And No. 3, the bus. I'm rarely
in a car, but every once in a while I am. It's a real treat."

Arkin is not poor. She lives this way by choice, having "seen what impact
our living patterns have on people all over the world. I thought, gee,
shouldn't we be doing something differently to mitigate our negative effect
on cultures worldwide? Where is this all leading?"

Slow going

"Many people are permaculturalists and they don't know it," according to
the Permaculture Institute's Roley. "More people are asking for edible
landscaping. Many people are thinking about how to recycle their organic
material into their landscape. Twenty-five years ago, it was only the
smoothies for lunch bunch and granola crew that was interested in that."

More and many does not translate into most, however. Getting the masses to
convert to a more sustainable lifestyle is a slow process, as people warm
up to the idea, becoming more educated about its benefits and understanding
how to incorporate environmentally friendly change into their life routines.

"A lot know there's a lot more to do but it's not yet within their reach,"
said Andy Lipkis, founder and president of Treepeople, an environmental
group that's working with city officials to manage Los Angeles as an
integrated ecosystem.

To Lipkis, living a more sustainable lifestyle is a mix of challenging,
long-term projects like installing solar power and small, daily habits like
using cloth napkins, buying bulk items, shopping at the farmers market and
making his own yogurt.

"We've tried to always be a normal family instead of a sprout-eating,
Birkenstock-wearing, spend-all-my-day-doing-this-stuff family. People just
look at that and go, that's not me," said Lipkis' wife, Kate. "We wanted to
do it in a way that people couldn't dismiss it. We have two kids. We've got
a dog, a mortgage. Stuff that all Americans have."

Like his garden, Dervaes came to urban homesteading organically — a journey
that began with the drought 14 years ago and continues as an ongoing
experiment he tracks on the Web.

"The drought made me rethink whether it was worth saving that lawn to have
that image. When it didn't cost me anything, I could let it go, but when
they were going to have us pay more money if we used more water, I thought,
'Why should we do that?' I'm kind of a penny pincher," said Dervaes, who
lives and works with his four twentysomething kids.

A couple of water bills later, he tore out the grass, but looking out the
window at the dry, barren dirt was more than he could bear. He "threw down
some wildflower seeds just to give it some cover" and hoped for rain.

He got it with El Niño. Wildflowers were growing everywhere, so Dervaes and
his family went into the edible flower business, selling nasturtiums to
high-end restaurants, until they realized that man cannot live on flowers
alone.

"We were cashing in the flowers and paying organic prices at the health
food store, so I just went straight to the vegetables," said Dervaes, who
proceeded to rip out his driveway. His front, back and side yards are now a
stunning arrangement of garden beds sectioned off with old wine bottles
from area restaurants, the broken concrete he pulled out of his driveway,
and trellises he found by the side of the road.

But the Dervaes family didn't stop there. Five months ago, they got rid of
their gas-guzzling van, bought an old Chevy and converted it to run on
biodiesel, which they make in their garage using old vegetable oil from a
local restaurant. At 70 cents a gallon, the price is right. But the process
is something else again: picking up the oil, then converting it in a
36-hour process involving lye and methanol. It's enough to scare off the
best intentioned.

The car's got about 10% less punch than they're accustomed to, but they
enjoy the added benefit of smelling "like someone's cooking" when they drive.

Dervaes admits his family's lifestyle isn't for everyone. Still, he's
"surprised at how much response we get on the Internet," he said. "We're
just regular people. We're new at this. I think that's why people aren't
intimidated. If we had 20 years experience, people might say, 'Oh yeah,
sure you can do it.' But being new, we appeal to a lot of people.

"I think people see it as a possibility, especially since they don't have
to move anywhere," added Dervaes, who's received e-mails from all over the
world. "Most people thought they'd have to first of all spend a lot of
money and second, leave the city, which is where they grew up. We still
need the city."

City-centered

Cities, after all, are where the action is. It's where economies thrive
because it's where the people live. According to the 2000 census, 79% of
all Americans reside in urban areas.

And that percentage is increasing. The population of the Los Angeles area
alone is growing by 250,000 each year. As more people move to the city,
fewer people understand how to work the land. But it doesn't have to be
that way, urban homesteaders say. More people may be living farther removed
from nature than ever, but they can still remain close to nature's design.

"People need to understand their place in the system. They're a piece in
the puzzle rather than the puzzle," Roley said. "The values of natural
cycles are really phenomenal, but you have to wait for them. They're not
instantaneous video games."

In a culture that makes it faster and cheaper to buy new products than to
fix the ones that are broken, a culture that encourages quantity rather
than quality, technology over nature, and the individual over the whole, it
can be difficult to slow down and smell the roses. Slowing down even
further to actually grow the roses takes patience, but it's a practice
permaculturalists find worthwhile.

Julia Russell has been living in her Los Feliz home for 30 years, slowly
converting her 1911 bungalow into a lesson in ecological sustainability.
Her "Eco-Home," as she calls it, features a drought-tolerant, native-plant
xeriscape in the front yard and orchard and vegetable garden in the back.
Recycled wood cabinets, water-based paints, linoleum flooring and a
built-in countertop compost bin are all features of her remodeled kitchen.

Sustainability

When she does her laundry, she uses biodegradable detergent and hangs her
clothes outdoors to dry. When she does her dishes, it is by hand, so she
can recycle whatever water she uses to her garden. When she needs to go
somewhere and it's within five miles, she rides her "freight hauler" — a
three-wheeled bicycle with a basket.

"The idea is to live locally, to function locally, to find ways to sustain
yourself within your own neighborhood," said Russell, an elegant
68-year-old who's been car free for 15 years.

President of the Eco-Home Network, an organization that promotes
Earth-friendly lifestyles through weekly tours of her home and a free
telephone hotline for consultations on sustainable living, Russell said she
was inspired to live green when she moved to L.A. 30 years ago.

"I thought the plane had crashed and I'd gone to heaven. It was so lush.
That's when I realized cities could be full of life and beauty and
sustenance," said Russell, who hasn't been back to New York City since
coming to California.

"You don't have to live in a tepee in the country to live a green lifestyle."