[Lapg] City Repair - not to be missed!

camille cimino camcim at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 18:20:11 PST 2004

just in case you haven't heard.................

not to be missed!

if you don't have the whole weekend come to the slide
show friday night at 7:30

this is going to be an ispirational event!

or at least check out the website www.cityrepair.org

see ya there,
camille

UPCOMING EVENT SPONSORED BY CRSP INSTITUTE FOR URBAN
ECOVILLAGES & L.A.
ECO-VILLAGE in association with Councilman Eric
Garcetti, MTA, Latino
Urban
Forum, Eco-Home Network, Bresee Foundation,
TreePeople, Ecology Center
of
Southern California, Southern California Permaculture
Guild, Los Angles
Permaculture Guild, Permaculture Institute of
California,
HopeDance Magazine

Visit our website for other upcoming events:
www.ic.org/laev/

FRI., SAT., SUN., MON. DEC. 3, 4, 5, 6

THE VILLAGE LIVES:  STREET AND INTERSECTION REDESIGN
FOR NEIGHBORHOOD
CONVIVIALITY WITH

MARK LAKEMAN FROM PORTLAND OREGON'S CITY REPAIR
PROJECT
(www.cityrepair.org)

TWO PUBLIC SLIDE SHOWS & TALKS WITH MARK LAKEMAN:

Friday, December 3, 7:30 pm at L.A. Eco-Village, 117
Bimini Pl., $10
(sliding scale ok), reservations recommended,
213/738-1254 or
<crsp at igc.org>

Monday, December 6, noon, at the MTA Headquarters, One
Gateway Plaza
(where
the Redline and Goldline end), 15th floor conference
room, check in on
3rd
floor.  This is in Downtown Los Angeles where Cesar
Chavez Bl. and
Vignes
St. meet.  No charge for this event.  Bring your own
brown bag  lunch.

More info below on Mark Lakeman and City Repair!

CITY REPAIR WORKSHOPS WITH MARK LAKEMAN AND OTHERS DEC
4 AND 5, L.A.
Eco-Village, 117 Bimini Place, LA 90004

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 4, 10 am - 4:30 pm

10-10:30 am:   Registration

10:30 am - 12:30 pm:   Mini 30 minute introductory
workshops on
permaculture, (Dr. Bill Roley), traffic calming
methods, reducing auto
use
and auto dependency, dealing with neighborhood water
more sustainably
(Joe
Linton), neighborhood composting (Esfandiar Abbassi),
building with cob
(Camille Cimino & Ray Cirino), Making Your
Neighborhood More Bicycle
Friendly (Jimmy Lizama & the Bicycle Kitchen staff),
tours to the
Bimini
Slough Ecology Park (Lara Morrison), Community
Planning Basics (David
Diaz)
and more.

12:30 - 1:30 pm:  Lunch.  Bring a brown bag or potluck
to share.  Also,
Mama's Hot Tamales will be available for sale.
Inexpensive Thai food
and a
variety of fast foods are available within a block
(but we support the
slow
food movement).

1:30 - 4:30 pm:  Mark Lakeman will facilitate a Design
Workshop  and
dialogue for intersection repair and street redesign
in LA Eco-Village.

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 5, 10 am - 4:30 pm

Mark and others experienced in natural building will
lead us in
remaking our
intersection at Bimini and White House Place in L.A.
Eco-Village based
on
the design concepts developed on Saturday.  Wear old
clothes and shoes.
This is a hands-on work day making art in, for and
around the
intersection..
Music, celebration, bring food to share.  Bring your
talent and musical
instruments.

FEES:
Fri., 12/3 Public Slide Show & Talk at LA Eco-Village:
$10 (sliding
scale ok)

Sat., 12/4 Design Workshop at L.A. Eco-Village:
              By donation $25 - $100 (sliding scale)*

Sun., 12/5 Hands-on Workshop in the street at L.A.
Eco-Village:
         By donation $25 - $100 (sliding scale)*

Mon., 12/6 Public Slide Show & Talk at MTA, One
Gateway
                Plaza, 15th floor conference room.
                  No Charge

Reservations/Questions:  Call Lois, 213/738-1254 or
<crsp at igc.org>

*NOTE:  No one turned away for lack of funds.

ABOUT CITY REPAIR AND MARK LAKEMAN

Join visionary architect Mark Lakeman as he inspires
and guides the
grid
structure of a typical American city into a vital
social commons with
Portland's City Repair Project <www.cityrepair.org>.

Now a national movement (just google it to get a sense
of it), City
Repair is about cities, towns, grids and the
intersections where our
lives can converge.

Multidisciplinary, City Repair combines architecture,
urban planning,
anthropology, community development, public art,
permaculture and
ecological
design in projects that transform public space.

Intersection Repair is the citizen-led conversion of
an urban street
intersection into a public square.  It is a form of
grassroots city
planning that can nurture art, public gathering and
volunteerism in
your
neighborhood.

"Mark is the most inspiring speaker I have seen in my
25 years of local
activism," says Lois Arkin.

The Public Square is the Heart of the Community. We
create gathering
places
because sharing time and space with each other is the
starting point of
community. By helping people reclaim their urban
spaces to create
community-oriented places, we plant the seeds for
better neighborhood
communication, community empowerment and revitalized
local culture.

City Repair's pioneering efforts can lead to
accelerated community
building
in the congested neighborhoods of Los Angeles. Join
L.A. Eco-Villagers,
and
our neighbors as Mark helps to facilitate the redesign
of our
intersection
and sidewalks to create artistic and
ecologically-oriented placemaking
that
honors the interconnection of our human community and
the natural
world.

Architect Mark Lakeman spent several years in the
1980's as a lead
designer of large scale corporate projects.  In the
1990's Mark
embarked on
a series of cultural immersion projects with
indigenous societies in
order
to derive placemaking patterns which could be applied
to urban settings
in
the U.S. These patterns include broad participation,
local ownership,
transference of authority to local populations,
creative expression in
planned and unplanned processes, and social capital as
the primary
economic
engine of change.

Mark is the principal of Communitecture, a private
design firm
specializing in ecological building and planning
projects at many
scales. He also sits on the Board of Directors of
Southeast Uplift,
Portland's proactive neighborhood coalition that is
undertaking
numerous
initiatives to remake the civic landscape.

With other citizen activists, Mark co-founded City
Repair in 1996 as a
multi-disciplinary, non-profit organization which
works with
place-based
communities to creatively recreate the infrastructure
of the public
commons
where people live. Whether converting street
intersections into public
squares, or organizing other forms of permanent or
ephemeral place
interventions, City Repair is effectively engaging
citizens in the
reinvention of the public landscape. All of these
projects are
ecological in
emphasis, using natural building and permaculture
techniques.  City
Repair:

* Educates people about why most American
neighborhoods are socially
isolating and culturally inactive, and how we can
transform them from
the
grassroots

* Inspires people to both understand themselves as
part of a larger
community and fulfill their own creative potential,
and

* Activates people to be part of the communities
around them, as well
as
part of the decision-making that shapes the future of
their
communities.

Born out of a successful grassroots neighborhood
initiative that
converted a residential street intersection into a
neighborhood public
square, City Repair began its work with the idea that
localization (of
culture, of economy, of decision-making) is a
necessary foundation of
sustainability. By reclaiming urban spaces to create
community-oriented
places, we plant the seeds for greater neighborhood
communication,
empower
our communities and nurture our local culture.