[Lapg] Re: [cityrepairla] Summary from CA workshop on creating a sustainable local economy

Hopedance at aol.com Hopedance at aol.com
Mon Jan 3 18:16:05 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/3/05 5:41:26 PM, eric at einem.us writes:

<<

I beleive this workshop >>

FYI

just thought you might be interested in a conference we put together in santa
barbara with films and workshops and panel discussions during thanksgiving
weekend. here is an email brochure:

<<HopeDance Media & La Casa de Maria
present

Over Consumption, Oil Depletion and the Inevitable Road to Sustainability
— A day of films, discussion, panels & lunch —

plus Guest Speaker
Richard Heinberg, author of The Party's Over and Powerdown

Saturday, November 27  •  9:30am to 6pm
at La Casa de Maria, 801 Ladera Lane, Santa Barbara

Cosponsors:
The Sustainability Project, Green Party of Santa Barbara, For the Future,
EarthFlow Design Works, SouthCoast Permaculture Guild, the CEC (Community
Environmental Council), and WILPF (Women’s International League for Peace & Freedom)

  9:30am
Introduction to HopeDance, La Casa de Maria, and the day's events.

9:45am
THE END OF SUBURBIA: OIL DEPLETION AND THE COLLAPSE OF THE AMERICAN DREAM,
(78min.) and a short discussion about the various solutions mentioned in the
film.

11:30am-12:30
Panel Discussion by members of For the Future (Richard B. Anderson, Linda
Buzzell-Saltzman, Larry Saltzman, and Sri Subramanian — www.forthefuture.org)
presenting the outline of the new "Initiative for Sustainable Small Cities," as
it applies to the future of Santa Barbara as oil becomes ever more scarce and
dear.

12:30 to 1:30   LUNCH

1:30-2:30
SURPLUS: TERRORIZING US INTO BEING CONSUMERS, (52min.) and
    GREEN PLANS (56min.) 2 films in 2 rooms (both large screens)

2:30p-3:30pm
A panel featuring leaders of the environmental and social justice community,
including Magdalena Corvin from The Sustainability Project, Bob Ferris from
CEC, Larry Santoyo from Earthflow Design Works and others TBA, moderated by
Linda Buzzell-Saltzman editor of the EcoPsychology Newsletter. The topic of the
discussion will be how Santa Barbara can make an adaptive response to the
reality of peak oil; actions and policies from other cities and countries will be
highlighted.

3:45 to 4:45pm
CULTURE JAM, (57min) and
    FROM CUBA WITH LOVE, (63min.)

5:00-6:00pm
Richard Heinberg will be speaking on Peak Oil and Our Options for the Future.
Richard Heinberg is the author of The Party’s Over: Oil, War and the Fate of
Industrial Societies, and Powerdown: Options and Actions for a Post-carbon
World.
Book signing afterwards.

THE END OF SUBURBIA
Suburbia, and all it promises, has become the American Dream. But as we enter
the 21st century, serious questions are beginning to emerge about the
sustainability of this way of life. With brutal honesty and a touch of irony, The End
of Suburbia explores the American Way of Life and its prospects as global
demand for fossil fuels begins to outstrip supply.

THE END OF SUBURBIA is hosted by Barrie Zwicker and features James Howard
Kunstler, Peter Calthorpe, Michael Klare, Richard Heinberg, Matthew Simmons,
Michael Ruppert, Julian Darley, Colin Campbell, Kenneth Deffeyes, Ali Samsam
Bakhtiari and others.

Richard Heinberg has been writing about energy resources issues and the
dynamics of cultural change for many years. A member of the core faculty at New
College of California, he is an award-winning author of three previous books. His
Museletter was nominated for its "Best Alternative Newsletter" award by Utne
in 1993.
    Richard Heinberg will be speaking on Peak Oil and Our Options for the
Future. Richard Heinberg is the author of The Party’s Over: Oil, War and the Fate
of Industrial Societies, and Powerdown: Options and Actions for a Post-carbon
World. Book signing afterwards.

Other Films:

Green Plans
is a very uplifting positive exploration of what projects and policies are
being implemented in New Zealand and the Netherlands. They, unfortunately, are
way ahead of us in terms of sustainability. We need to learn what and HOW they
have accomplished these vital policies.

Surplus: Terrorizing us into Being Consumers
is a wild often hilarious ride into the anarchist mind of how things got to
be so devastatingly strange in our overconsumptive lifestyle. The film features
anarchist philosopher John Zerzan and culture jammer Kalle Lasn. The cut
overs with the major G8 leaders of the world will keep you guffawing for weeks!

Culture Jam
features Reverend Billy, the Billboard Liberation Front, and the Media
Tigress Carly Stasko. The fantastically edited documentary shows us what some
activists choose to do in order to get their messages out there: Rev. Billy performs
in a Disney Store chanting Stop Shopping Start Shouting; $30,000 a month
billboards doctored with revolutionary memes in the Bay Area; Ms. Stasko places
profoundly disturbing/enlightening stickers on bank teller machines, subways,
and perpetual advertisement TV sets in bars men’s rooms.

>From Cuba With Love
illustrates how a country can come together and creatively cooperate amidst
the challenges of the US embargo as well as being cut off financially when the
Soviets departed. Because of their response to this dire situation, the Cubans
have been praised for being the number one country in the world for their
sustainable practices by the United Nations!

Reviews of The End of Suburbia film:
I watched it Saturday with a group of friends, and plan to hold many more
viewings. Thanks for making this important presentation. - Caryl

What a hoot. (James Howard) Kunstler is the funniest man alive, and he really
had his material polished for this one. I nominate him for prophet status. -

About Richard Heinberg’s latest book, "Powerdown":
Avoiding cynicism and despair, Powerdown begins with an overview of the
likely impacts of oil and natural gas depletion and then outlines four options for
industrial societies during the next decades:
Last One Standing: the path of competition for remaining resources;
Powerdown: the path of cooperation, conservation, and sharing;
Waiting for a Magic Elixir: wishful thinking, false hopes, and denial;
Building Lifeboats: the path of community solidarity and preservation.

His talk is titled Peak Oil and Our Options for the Future.

Registration:
  $20 morning session (includes lunch)
  $25 afternoon session (includes lunch)
  $40 for the entire day