[Lapg] PERMACULTURE SKILLBUILDER 2005 May 16th September 2nd 2005 O.U.R. ECOVILLAGE, Shawnigan Lake, B.C. , Canada

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Jan 13 06:45:47 PST 2005

PERMACULTURE SKILLBUILDER 2005
TOPIA: The Sustainable Learning Community Institute
Presents:

“PERMACULTURE DESIGN AND ORGANIC FOOD PRODUCTION SKILLBUILDER”
May 16th  September 2nd 2005 (Optional extra month practicum to Oct. 2nd)
The application deadline is February 15th, 2005
Location: O.U.R. ECOVILLAGE, Shawnigan Lake, B.C. , Canada
www.ourecovillage.org

Description
In 2005, the O.U.R. Eco-Village permaculture design and organic gardening
program will offer a unique opportunity to build skills and competence
throughout the growing season. This is a four-month, fully residential
program where a balance of practical hands-on learning and theoretical
class time will be achieved.
Participants will be involved in running the organic food production
systems on site for the community. A wide array of organic-based ideas and
techniques will be explored and practiced such as no-till, bio-dynamic,
bio- and french-intensive and permaculture.
The program allows participants the opportunity to build skills perhaps
more commonly found in an apprenticeship. For example, coordinating
non-residential students in classes and hands-on projects will enhance
leadership and facilitation skills. Each participant will have their own
experimental garden plot and opportunities to further advance their
knowledge in specific areas of interest through personalized projects.

Permaculture will be integrated into the entire program. The standard
72-hour Permaculture Design Course will be taught throughout the five
months and we are currently applying to be able to offer PDC Certificates
from the Permaculture Institute in Australia.
The program begins with a one week “permaculturalization”  group building
and establishing learning community ethics and goals in connection with
everyone on the land. This will also include group activities. Establishing
a weekly rhythm will provide continuity throughout the program’s diverse
content. The entire curriculum is designed to be in harmony with the
seasonal cycles and in consideration of the current developmental stage of
O.U.R. Eco-Village.

During the program, participants will have the opportunity to partake in a
weeklong student exchange with Linnaea Farm on Cortes Island. Check out
their website at www.linnaeafarm.org
For all participants who successfully complete the Permaculture Design &
Organic Production Skillbuilder program, a graduation ceremony and
celebration will take place in conjunction with the All Cobbers Weekend
event happening September 2nd, 3rd & 4th, 2005.

Core Curriculum
The Permaculture Design & Organic Production Skillbuilder program is part
of TOPIA: The Sustainable Learning Community Institute. We are creating a
core curriculum that will be attended by participants of all programs,
regardless of their focus. Topics include but not limited to community
building, human development, compassionate/non-violent communication,
decision-making processes, personal leadership, local indigenous wisdom,
whole systems design and permaculture basics.

Instructors
The program is coordinated and lead by Tyrone LaFay of Earthcare Design
Solutions. Tyrone has seven years experience studying and practicing
permaculture design and organic gardening in the Pacific Northwest of the
US, New Zealand and Australia. He holds a BSc in Environmental Science from
Huxley College at Western Washington University.
In addition to local residents of the eco-village, we bring in specialized
guest presenters/facilitators from within the local Cascadian Bioregion and
beyond. Field trips and excursions will allow our local hosts to share
their knowledge and working examples.

Eco-Village Activities
Spending four or five months living at O.U.R. Eco-Village gives everyone
the opportunity to participate in a diverse offering of activities. Garden,
greenhouses, forest, pasture and open spaces offer walks, quiet time,
change in pace and other learning. Our connection with the Cowichan First
Nations Community brings cultural awareness and integration of practices in
our daily lives.
Shared meals are at the core of community life and everyone participates in
meal preparation and clean-up chores.
Facilities & Accommodation
O.U.R. Eco-Village program participants live in personal tents in our camp
area. We have an outdoor solar shower and washing station as well as
several outhouses.
Our outdoor kitchen serves vegetarian food with daily input from the
garden. A cob oven is also available for bread baking and pizza. Meals are
provided  breakfast is self serve, lunch and dinner on a rotational cooking
schedule with the support of a cook.
The big yurt on the property is used for gatherings, council, celebrations
and presentations. Find out more about our site on our website:
www.ourecovillage.org

Surrounding Area & Extended Community
O.U.R. Eco-Village is situated near Shawnigan Lake on Vancouver Island. The
immediate area invites hiking, boating, cycling, and swimming. Weekend
trips can reach Strathcona Park, the West Coast of the island, the gulf
islands, Victoria and Vancouver.
The closest communities for shopping and services are Mill Bay, Shawnigan
Lake (small villages) and the city of Duncan (larger urban center). Public
transport reaches Mill Bay and Shawnigan Lake.
Our climate has a dry season from June to October. Temperatures reach upper
20s Celsius but cool down at night.

Cost
$4500 Can., Includes camp, meals, tuition and field trips. Two (2)
scholarships of $500 Can. are available. Please refer to the Scholarship
Application for more details (available on-line at www.ourecovillage.org).
Upon acceptance, a non-refundable deposit of $200 Can. will be required to
hold a position. The remaining $4300 Can. will be due by April 15th, 2005.

This Program May Be For You If:
-You want to learn Permaculture design and organic gardening hands-on
-You want to experience community living as well
-You are mature, know your learning style, self inspired, have good work
ethics, are physically fit (not necessarily young), are willing to be
personally involved with others and practice good communication
-You are tolerant, take responsibility, and generally enjoy life.

How to Apply
We only have six (6) spaces available.  Please send us:
· Competed application/questionnaire (available on-line at
www.ourecovillage.org)
· Your resume/curriculum vitae
· A vision statement talking about your intent for the program and how it
relates to your life path.

You can send your application by e-mail to our at pacificcoast.net. We also
recommend sending a hard copy because e-mails have not reached us in the
past. Our mailing address is: O.U.R. Eco-Village Att.: Pc Design & Organic
Production Skillbuilder, Box 530, Shawnigan Lake, BC, VOR2WO, Canada.  Do
not send money until we have communicated further. We will collect all
applications and begin phone interviews in February. Upon acceptance to the
program, we will send an acceptance package including detailed course
outlines, daily & weekly rhythms, rules & agreements, what to bring,
expectations of participants and what participants should expect from the
program, etc.