[Lapg] Natural Building at Emerald Earth 2005 CA

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Jan 31 07:24:52 PST 2005

Dear Friends-

2004 was a good year for Emerald Earth, especially in the success of our
first 8-week natural building training, geared towards people who want to
be professional natural builders or owner builders. We got excellent
feedback from our 4 participants (see below) and have decided to run the
program again, increasing the group size to 6. We have two more hybrid
cabins under construction (which our workshops this year will focus on) in
addition to the four we have already completed and our
greenhouse/bathhouse/sauna complex. We are continuing to refine our unique
style of building, concentrating on innovative and appropriate use of local
materials (especially clay, straw and wood) and combining multiple wall
systems (straw bale, cob, straw-clay, etc.) for increased thermal
efficiency and design flexibility. Our workshops present natural building
as a holistic design science and emphasize hands-on learning. One of the
greatest strengths of our educational program is that it is integrated into
a thriving intentional community which focuses on sustainability,
permaculture, organic gardening, home power, supportive childrearing,
interpersonal skills and personal growth.

Below is a brief description of our 2005 workshops, followed by a fuller
explanation of the 8-week program called "Natural Building in Community."
Please help us get the word out to the people who will benefit most from
these workshops. If you can think of anyone who might be interested (or an
appropriate email list), please forward this message to them. If you're
willing to post our flyer in a public location, please let us know and we
can either mail you a copy or email you a PDF file.

We also have our schedule of free work parties for 2005, which are a great
way to get to know the community and participate in some hands-on
activities. The dates are April 16-17, May 28-29, July 9-10, August 27-28,
and October 15-16.  We are also looking for long-term work exchange folks
for a minimum of two months any time from April through October. For more
details on any of the above, check out our web site at
www.emeraldearth.org. Thank you so much.

peace be with you,
Michael G. Smith

P.S. Please also note our new email (workshops at emeraldearth.org) for
inquiries about workshops or the community. I am retaining the old lorax
address as my personal email.

Natural Building in Community
June 6- July 29
Instructors: Michael G. Smith, Darryl Berlin, and guests
Topics:  straw bale; cob; round pole framing; straw light-clay (slipstraw);
earthen floors; natural plasters and paints; earthbags, rammed tires,
rubble trenches, and other alternative foundations; sustainable materials
harvesting; home power generation; passive solar design; structures and
processes for intentional communities; and lots more about natural
building, rural homesteading, and living and working in groups. The program
is geared towards those who want to seriously improve their knowledge,
skill and comfort with natural building, either to build for themselves or
to work professionally. It runs approximately 5 days and 40 hours per week,
including hands-on building, lectures, leadership and communication
exercises, field trips, and personal projects.
Cost: $2800 includes camping and 3 delicious organic meals per day. Written
application required. Group size limited to 6, so contact us now.

Natural Building Intensive
September 10-16
Instructors: Michael G. Smith, Darryl Berlin, Sara McCamant
Topics:  straw bale; cob; straw light-clay (slipstraw); wattle-and-daub;
earthen floors; natural plasters and paints; passive solar design; and
more. Hands-on practice in at least 8 different building techniques is
supplemented with lecture and discussion, tours, slide shows and videos.
Cost: $500 includes camping and food. Discounts for early registration and
for Mendocino County residents. Group size limited, so register early.

For more information or to request an application:
phone 707-895-3302 or email workshops at emeraldearth.org.
To see photos and more about the community, check out our web site:
www.emeraldearth.org.

Natural Building in Community
June 6- July 29, 2005
instructors: Michael G. Smith, Darryl Berlin, and guests
at Emerald Earth Community in Boonville, Northern California
This is a rare opportunity to develop natural building skills in the
stimulating environment of a rural intentional community. We take a
whole-systems approach to ecological building, combining earth, straw,
wood, sand and stone in various ways to create inexpensive, efficient
hybrid structures. Each week will include 25-30 hours of supervised
hands-on building, 2-5 hours of "classroom" time, and an individual
research project. The group will be very small (maximum 6), allowing lots
of individual supervision and skill-building. Participants will be
integrated into the dynamic social context of the community, sharing meals,
cooking and cleaning tasks, meetings, fun and games with other residents.
The supportive learning environment will focus on developing skills not
only in building but also in group living, leadership and communication.
This program is recommended for people who want to take their education
further than is possible by attending short workshops or by training in a
single technique, especially for owner-builders and for those working
towards a career in natural building. No previous experience is required.

Things you will learn:
o Straw bale
o Cob
o Round pole framing
o Straw light-clay (slipstraw)
o Earthen floors
o Natural plasters and paints
o Earthbags, rammed tires, rubble trenches, and other alternative foundations
o Sustainable materials harvesting
o Home power generation
o Passive solar design
o Structures and processes for Intentional Communities
o and lots more about Natural Building, rural homesteading, and living and
working in groups

Cost and registration:
The 8-week program costs $2800, including instruction, on-site camping, and
organic, mostly vegetarian meals. We require a written application, and
encourage a visit to the community to meet the instructors and other residents.

For more information or to request an application:
phone 707-895-3302; email workshops at emeraldearth.org.
To see photos and more about the community, check out our web site:
www.emeraldearth.org.

What last year's participants said about the program:

The hands-on aspect of the program was great - sufficient time, and a lot
of different methods covered. I enjoyed all of the lectures, and I can't
think of a major topic that I would have wanted to learn about that was not
covered. The field trips were great. The individual projects were extremely
useful. I was amazed with how much you managed to cram into eight short
weeks! -MB

Michael Smith's ability to organize and deliver information is unrivaled,
while Darryl Berlin's method is founded in his connection to the land.
These are soulful teachers who walk their talk. Add in conversations with
the community and you end up learning about everything from wild grasses to
rocket stoves! A large part of my learning experience came from simply
living in the Emerald Earth community. Each day I could feel another layer
of cynicism about the desperate state of politics and the environment slip
away. This is a profoundly beautiful place. I slept outside under an oak
tree, the stars, and the moon. I ate the healthiest diet of my life, most
of it grown by the community. -MM

I really enjoyed the opportunities to work on my leadership skills.  I had
enough time to see myself change from uncomfortable to confident in the
role of teacher and leader, which was an empowering process.  I feel I
walked away from the program a completely new person, rich with newfound
knowledge, full of excitement and inspiration, with new clarity on my path
in life. -BD

Since completing the apprenticeship, I've led two natural building
workshops. Both went really well and I know i wouldn't have been
comfortable leading them if it hadn't been for this program. I have also
had paid natural building work as a direct result of contacts I made at
Emerald Earth. I would do it all over again without hesitation. It was by
far the best natural building educational experience I've ever had. I also
started some really nice friendships that I hope will last a long time. -MJ