[Lapg] Blueprint for a Sustainable Future Fri February 25th 6:45pm – 9:00pm Goleta Richard Register and Peter Melhus

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Feb 17 18:38:37 PST 2005

The Sustainability Project presents:
Re-Imagining Goleta Valley:

Blueprint for a Sustainable Future

 Keynote Address                                  A Visioning Workshop

Friday, February 25th                           Saturday, February 26th

6:45pm – 9:00pm                                     8:30am – 3:30pm

Goleta Presbyterian Church

Fellowship Hall

6067 Shirrell Way, Goleta

The Sustainability Project (TSP), a local non-profit organization dedicated to
promoting sustainability in the built environment, invites you to participate
in a two-day workshop series called Re-Imagining Goleta Valley: Blueprint
for a
Sustainable Future intended to explore the principles of sustainability within
the Goleta Valley.

Keynote Address

The series will begin on the evening of Friday, February 25th by hosting two
keynote speakers representing the various dimensions of sustainable city
planning.  Peter Melhus, former Executive Director of the Bay Area Alliance
for
Sustainable Communities, and Richard Register, Founder of Urban Ecology, will
speak to their experience of planning and designing sustainable cities.
Refreshments will be provided.

Visioning Meeting

On Saturday, February 26th we will examine the critical issues surrounding the
Goleta Valley and begin to envision how we might transform this unique region
into a sustainable community.  Following an introduction on the principles of
sustainability, discussion groups will form to focus around 5 pillars of
sustainability: Community Services, Economy, Environment, Housing and
Transportation.  This discussion will lead us to defining the qualities of a
sustainable community spanning the multiple jurisdictions of the City of
Goleta, Santa Barbara County, the Airport and University.  At future
workshops,
this effort will move to create a map of the Goleta Valley that graphically
depicts the major issue areas surrounding our environment, social equity and
the local economy to be used as a guideline for future planning endeavors in
the region.  A complimentary organic lunch will be served.

We encourage all to take part in visioning a sustainable Goleta Valley.
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous