[Lapg] Venice Permaculture Project

Geofrey Collins geoff at artnet.net
Thu May 12 22:48:07 PDT 2005

We have started another la city repair project i wonder if you have heard
about it? geofrey collins a local sustainable architect who is a close
friend of mine and also taking the design course, has been inspired to forge
his inspiration for city repair with the local residents needs and create a
public space on a long pie shaped median on main street in venice. it is
directly across from the famous frank gehry designed building with the giant
binoculars. the project is still in the design and site preparation
phase,but this week the LAPG and local residents are invited to a second
work party to continue site preparation and begin construction of the
design.  it will consist of fruit trees, edible landscaping, natural gabbeon
retaining walls, cobb benches, fruiting vine trellises. Contact
geoff at artnet.net for more info on the design and construction process. It
will be the first permanent LAPG, and LA City Repair permaculture
demonstration site. we are all very excited to begin the transformation of
> the city of angels.
-David Silverstone

Update:

We won't meet this friday since were all stressed to complete Larry's
course.  However we will be breaking ground this coming Monday on 'Dudley
Park', the first of several city median permaculture renovations.  Please
come by Monday, May 16 for an ideas discussion and ceremonial ground
breaking, from 9-11 am.  I'm getting a Bobcat backhoe from a neighboring job
to help hopefully.

We'll also meet Friday, May 20th @ 5 pm to build retaining benches and
really get into the project.  Bring shovels, gloves, and ...compost!

This LA Permaculture Guild project is located across from the world famous
'Binocular' building @ 340 Main Street in Venice.  We'll create a place to
sit in the shade of newly planted trees with sculptures, fruiting plants and
retaining benches, beautifying the community.

Call for more info.
--
Geofrey Collins
SCO Studio Building Design