[Lapg] [starhawk] G8 Plans Gleneagles, Scotland July 6-8

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed May 18 06:56:17 PDT 2005

Hi friends, I know it s been a while since I ve sent anything to this
list.  I ve been busy with some long term projects and putting some energy
into my own gardens for a change.  But now I m on the road again, heading
toward Scotland for the G8 events there this summer.  Below is information
on my plans and upcoming events and I ll be posting more regularly as the
organizing begins.

Starhawk

G8 Plans

The G8 Summit, the meeting of the heads of state of the eight most powerful
countries in the world, will take place in Gleneagles, Scotland July
6-8.  Major protests are planned, and organizing has been underway in
Scotland and Britain for over a year, and much of that work has been quite
visionary.  Urban convergence centers and a rural encampment will be
designed to show a vision of the world we want, and demonstrate balanced,
ecofriendly ways to meet human needs.  A Cre8 Summit in June will work with
local, inner city communities to create a garden and social center in the
path of a planned road development. Spiritual healing spaces and
celebrations are being planned by a network of Brits involved in earth
based spirituality.  And, of course, there will be forums, a march expected
to be the largest demonstration ever in Scotland, and nonviolent direct action.
              I m very excited.  I believe this mobilization has the
potential to truly demonstrate what we re for as well as what we re
against, and to send people home with some of the skills and experience
they need to create the other world we keep saying is possible.  I will be
helping to support the organizing in a number of ways.  In late May Erik
Ohlsen and I are leading a permaculture course, in coordination with local
Scottish teachers, to help prepare people to be resources for the design
and building of the eco-camp and convergence spaces. I m also linked with
the training collective that has been offering nonviolent direct action
trainings in many communities in Britain for the past year.  I ll stay in
Scotland for most of June to help with projects and ongoing trainings with
one detour south for a workshop in London at Alternatives (see below for
info.) Others from the RANT collective of trainers will also be coming to
Scotland in late June, to help support the great work local trainers are
already doing.

             Below is information on the actions.  We need lots of support,
magical, practical, and as always, material.  We re still trying to pay for
Erik s flight over, for the costs of the permaculture training which we are
offering virtually for free, for the convergence space rentals and the
tools and materials we need to make this vision a reality.  If you can
help, tax deductible checks can be made to:

Alliance for Community Trainers
1405 Hillmont St.
Austin, TX 78704
Earmarked Scotland

Or, even simpler, donate online at www.rantcollective.net
<http://www.rantcollective.net/> .  Just click on the Donate button at the
bottom of the page.  Thanks so much!

If you re in Europe or the UK, it might be simpler to go directly to the
Dissent Network to donate in your currency.  Go to
<http://www.dissent.org.uk/content/view/90/66/>http://www.dissent.org.uk<http://www.dissent.org.uk/content/view/90/66/>/content/view/90/66/

I ll be writing updates on the trainings and organizing periodically, and I
ll try to cover the actions on a daily basis. If you re not already on my
list, subscribe by sending an email to Starhawk-subscribe at lists,riseup.net
and put subscribe in the subject line.

Cre8 Summit June 12-17

Cre8 Summit has been organised by individuals wanting to protest 'for'
something rather than 'against' the G8.  We are planning to work with the
ongoing community protests against the building of the M74 in Glasgow, in
particular the council estates of Govanhill and Gorbles.
The plan for the work is to reclaim a vacant piece of land that is on site
for the construction of the motorway, and than to turn it into a community
social space with gardens, sculptures, benches, artwork, etc.

The work on this project is underway.  During May we will be running weekly
workshops with the communities.  During the second week of June, we will
reclaim the land (community open day 12th of June) and begin a week of work
(from the13-17th of June) to turn this bit of waste land into something the
community can enjoy.

There is an email list that announces news on this project:
cre8summit at lists.riseup.net
you can subscribe here:
<http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/cre8summit>http://lists.riseup.net/www<http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/cre8summit>/info/cre8summit

G8  Protest Highlights

Saturday 2nd July - Make Poverty  History Demonstration,
Edinburgh  expected to be the biggest demonstration ever held in Scotland.
Sunday 3rd July The Alternative  Summit, Edinburgh workshops  including
George Monbiot, Susan George, Ken Wiwa and Starhawk. Monday 4th July -
Faslane Nuclear  Submarine Base blockade. Six of the G8 have nuclear
weapons on their soil. The  replacement or otherwise of Britain s Trident
system must be decided by  Parliament shortly. Tuesday 5th July Climate
Justice Day  & demonstration at Dungavel detention centre called by Glasgow
Campaign  to Welcome Refugees.   Wednesday 6th July   Mass demonstration
over the hills  to Gleneagles Hotel on first day of G8 summit.   Further
information
at:
<http://www.dissent.org.uk>http://www.dissent.org.<http://www.dissent.org.uk>uk
<http://www.dissent.org.uk/>   Dissent is the main group
organizing  actions.
<http://www.g8alternatives.org.uk>http://www.g8alternatives.org.<http://www.g8alternatives.org.uk>uk
Website for alternative forums, etc.
<http://scotland.indymedia.org>http://scotland.indymedia<http://scotland.indymedia.org>.org
<http://scotland.indymedia.org/>   Indymedia Scotland page

Starhawk s workshop at Alternatives
Sunday, June 26
London, England

"Holding Power Well'

This workshop explores issues of power and leadership.  How do we take our
power and own it as a life-giving force?  How do we recognize when we do
have power, and use it in ways that empower others?  How do we nurture and
support leadership in our groups, while also holding our leaders
accountable?  This is a workshop for anyone who has struggled with these
issues in relationships or groups.  All of us have internalized models of
power as domination, which often interfere when we attempt to form new
structures based on power-from-within.  We will consider power within
sacred space, and through ritual, trance, and energy work develop the tools
we need to transform destructive patterns into energies freed for change.

For more information, contact: Alternatives
Tel: 020 7287 6711
www.alternatives.org.uk <http://www.alternatives.org.uk/>
This post has been sent to you from Starhawk at lists.riseup.net.  This is an
announce-only listserve that allows Starhawk to post her writings
occasionally to those who wish to receive them.

To subscribe to this list, send an email to
Starhawk-subscribe at lists.riseup.net.

Starhawk is a lifelong activist in peace and global justice movements, a
leader in the feminist and earth-based spirituality movements, author or
coauthor of ten books, including The Spiral Dance, The Fifth Sacred Thing,
Webs of Power: Notes from the Global Uprising, and her latest, The Earth
Path.

Starhawk's website is www.starhawk.org, and more of her writings and
information on her schedule and activities can be found there.