[Lapg] The Solution to Famine in Africa is Organic Farming Not GMOs

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Jun 29 23:54:30 PDT 2005

The Solution to Famine in Africa is Organic Farming Not GMOs

Posted 6/27/05

 From The Independent (UK)
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=649963

Hungry for an alternative Tewolde Berhan believes that organic farming is
the only real solution to famine in Africa.Sally J Hall meets the quiet but
formidable Ethiopian who has become a thorn in the side of the GM foods
lobby 27 June 2005 Organic farming is a slow-to-grow, low-yield industry
favoured by middle-class parents who have the time and money to meander the
overpriced aisles of Waitrose, deliberating over wild rocket or white
asparagus. Right? Wrong, says Tewolde Berhan. He thinks organic farming
could be the solution to Ethiopia's famines. The chief of the country's
Environment Agency has worked his way through academia and government to
become one of the world's most influential voices in the biotechnology
field. Berhan believes that, properly applied, his approach could save the
lives of many of the thousands of Africans who die every day as a result of
hunger and poverty.

He maintains that genetically modified organisms (GMOs) remove control from
local farmers. He speaks for a growing number who believe that Africa
should return to natural, sustainable methods of agriculture better suited
to its people and environment.

Can one man hope to stand against governments and the huge multinationals?
Visiting London, Berhan appears to be a frail - if nattily dressed -
sexagenarian. But our conversation reveals his determination, intelligence
and encyclopedic memory, combining to create an indomitable force.

Asked why bad harvests seem to have a greater impact on Ethiopia than its
neighbours, he has a simple yet stark response. "It's largely because of
the lack of infrastructure," he says. "The road system in Ethiopia has
doubled in the past 10 years, but is still very poor.

"Ethiopia is still an agrarian society, and there isn't one such country
that hasn't had famines," he adds. "The reasons are clear: some years you
have plenty and others not enough. If you don't have the technological and
financial capacity and the infrastructure to store in good years, you can't
make provision for the bad. People here depend entirely on the crops they
produce in their fields, so when one season fails, the result is famine."
Born in 1940, Berhan graduated in 1963 from Addis Ababa University and took
a doctorate at the University of Wales in 1969. Later posts as dean of
science at Addis Ababa, keeper of the National Herbarium and director of
the Ethiopian Conservation Strategy Secretariat kept him in touch with the
agricultural needs of Ethiopia's people.

In 1995, he was made director general of the Environmental Protection
Authority of Ethiopia, in effect becoming the country's chief scientist in
agriculture. A strong critic of GMOs, he's a powerful voice in lobbying on
food safety. His most notable triumph came in negotiations on biosafety in
Cartagena, Colombia in 1999. Berhan acted as chief negotiator for a group
of southern hemisphere countries. He helped to secure an agreement to
protect biosafety and biodiversity, while maintaining respect for the
traditional rights of the Third World population, gained against strong
opposition from the European Union and North America.

So why is organic farming the answer? Given low yields, poor soil and
drought, you'd think that industrial farming would help Ethiopia to
maximise production. Not so, Berhan says. "Organic farming deviates little
from the natural environment in supplying nutrients to crops. We've
developed the ability to change things in a big way and, without
considering the consequences, we create disasters. Look at what happened
with DDT.

"Organic farming disturbs nature as little as possible and reduces those
risks. Intensive farming has led to the exacerbation of pests and diseases,
and loss of flavour in food."

These views are at odds with the "conventional" industry. Tony Combes, the
director of corporate affairs for Monsanto UK, a big player in the GM
market, says: "Going organic isn't the way to increase yields. But then,
neither is going totally GM. Farmers need solutions suitable for local
predicaments. This means choosing from a range of options - organic,
conventional and GM. If yields can be increased, that surplus can be sold."
Berhan is undeterred. He has persuaded the Ethiopian government to let him
demonstrate his ideas in the Axum area of Ethiopia. Old field-management
techniques have been resurrected, while methods new to the area, like
compost-making, have been successful.

Those who think organic farming means low yields will be surprised by
Berhan's evidence. "When well managed, and as fertility builds over years,
organic agriculture isn't inferior in yield. Now, farmers don't want
chemical fertilisers. They say, 'Why should we pay for something we can get
for free?'" Berhan expresses gratitude for the West's famine-relief
efforts, but he has reservations. "When countries want to help, they may
not know how, so the intention has to be appreciated. But if you go beyond
the intention and begin to dictate terms, it becomes more sinister. In
times of shortage, making food aid available is helpful - for that year. If
you keep making it available, you discourage production."

He believes there are times when food aid can be more about control by
Western governments than assistance. "The feeling is strong that this is
deliberate. I attended a meeting where farmers from the USA were present. I
told them a story I'd read about how rice production in Liberia was
depressed because of cheap imports from the USA. The American farmers said
this was a deliberate policy by the US State Department to make countries
dependent on them for food.

"I began to investigate and discovered that, while the EU has abandoned its
policy of providing food aid, initially sending money so that food can be
bought locally, the US still insists it will only give food in kind. This
makes me feel those farmers were right."

Berhan insists on the necessity of further trials for GM crops, and
believes extreme caution should be used in their growth and trade. His
application for a visa to attend talks in Canada on GM labelling was turned
down earlier this year, suggesting that his influence is feared. "We were
finalising the labelling of grain commodities," he says. "A compromise had
been reached in 2000 for labelling to say, 'This product may contain GMOs,'
but we wanted to toughen it up, to say, 'This product contains these GMOs,'
and to list them."

He also contests that GMOs give higher yield. "This is mainly hype. So far,
there's not one GM crop that produces higher yields per acre than
conventional crops. They offer an economical advantage to farmers as they
can apply herbicide in large doses and not have to worry about weeds:
that's all."

After protests from the media and groups such as Greenpeace, the visa was
granted. Dr Eric Darier, GM campaigner for Greenpeace Canada, explained why
it was so important that Berhan attended. "He is truly one of the key
'fathers' of the biosafety protocol," Darier says. "It was convenient for
the Canadian government [to refuse the visa], as it prevented a major
critic and opponent of pro-GM Canadian policy from attending two of the
three days of the workshop on liability. Canada has failed to ratify the
biosafety protocol. In view of the fact that the Canadian government has
done everything to undermine the efforts of the international community to
adopt a strict, effective biosafety protocol, the delays in issuing the
visa are evidence of Canada's bad faith."

Is Berhan bitter? Far from it. "I think [the visa refusal] was based on a
mistaken calculation. If anything, it gave the labelling issue higher
visibility. We told the Canadian government: either you accept multilateral
discussions, or the Office for the Commission of Biological Diversity
[based in Montreal], must move to another country." The threat worked.

Berhan's message is compelling - and he is in demand worldwide. In the past
month alone, he has travelled to Austria, the UK, Tunisia and Norway. He
returns to the UK in July to give a talk for the Soil Association, where he
will ask: "Can Organic Farming Feed the World?" He is a huge force in
trying to prove that it can.

The Soil Association will be at the Royal Geographical Society in London on
Tuesday 12 July (0117 987 4586; www.soilassociation.org)